[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] Key tronic KB3270+

wht@n4hgf.Mt-Park.GA.US (Warren Tucker) (05/30/91)

The "technician" I talked to so unsuccessfully just happened to
be Chris Paxton, the technical support manager (hurrah for working managers!).
I got a phone call from him today and we both rapidly realized
yesterday's conversation was riddled with communications failures.
I also received e-mail from Mike Burton, the software engineer
who wrote the software for the 3270+ and the manual.

Key tronic calls themselves the Responsive Input company and this could not
have been more clearly demonstrated to be true.  They were very apologetic
and helpful.  I suppose the word "UNIX" was a hot word for Chris and "non-
disclosure" was for me.  I have (re)learned the hazard and stupidity
of knee-jerk posts to wide-audience networks.

The customization information I sought is available in the form
of a Technical Reference manual available from Key tronic for $14.95.

    while(!next_week)
    {
       eat_crow(&warren);
       remove(TOENAIL_OBJECT,&mouth);
    }

Warren Tucker, TuckerWare   gatech!n4hgf!wht or wht@n4hgf.Mt-Park.GA.US
Many [Nobel physics] prizes  have been given  to people for  telling us
the universe is not as simple as we thought it was. -Stephen Hawking in
A Brief History of Time     In computing, there are no such prizes. -me

chip@chinacat.unicom.com (Chip Rosenthal) (05/30/91)

In article <423@n4hgf.Mt-Park.GA.US> wht@n4hgf.Mt-Park.GA.US
	(Warren Tucker) writes:
>The customization information I sought is available in the form
>of a Technical Reference manual available from Key tronic for $14.95.

Three cheers for Keytronic.  When I build up UNIX systems for clients,
Keytronic has been my keyboard of choice.  It was disheartening to
read Warren's story - because it is all too common in the peecee world.
It also bothered me to have one of my vendors be so unresponsive to
the needs to the UNIX community.

Well...misunderstandings happen - and I'm glad that's all this turned
out to be.  It's always good to find (and surprisingly tough to find)
a vendor who is responsive to the UNIX community.  I get the impression
from Warren's followup message that Keytronic is out there watching
- and that's why I post this.  It's important for Keytronic to know
this sort of stuff matters to us.  It affects purchase recommendations
and decisions.  For their support, Keytronic deserves a big attoboy.

A lot of other peecee vendors need to understand this.  Unfortunately,
I don't think the ones who do read USENET...

--
Chip Rosenthal     <chip@chinacat.Unicom.COM>  |  Don't play that
Unicom Systems Development      512-482-8260   |    loud, Mr. Collins.