[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] db's?

danny@garnet.berkeley.edu (Danny Lee) (05/31/91)

	Ok, stupid question of the day/week/month . . .   Why is the decibal
scale expressed in negative numbers?  Or should I say, why is 0db louder than
-45db?  Also, is t here  a differance in acoustic db and electrical db's?  Idiot
question I know but hey, I can't get a straight answer from anyone around here.
Thanx in advance.

--
Danny Lee
danny@garnet.berkeley.edu

wlsmith@valve.heart.rri.uwo.ca (Wayne L. Smith) (05/31/91)

In article <1991May31.001234.7155@agate.berkeley.edu> danny@garnet.berkeley.edu (Danny Lee) writes:

>	Ok, stupid question of the day/week/month . . .   Why is the decibal
>scale expressed in negative numbers?  Or should I say, why is 0db louder than
>-45db?  Also, is there  a differance in acoustic db and electrical db's?
>Thanx in advance.

This should be asked in sci.electronics, but...
Db is a log scale of measured intensity versus an absolute reference.
If you send a 1V signal through a box and get 50V output, the output is
10 x LOG (50/1) = 17 db higher than the input.  If the output is 0.003 V, then
the output is 10 x LOG (.003/1) = -25 db.
A negative db measurement indicates a loss or reduction, and a positive db
indicates a gain.
Acoustic db's relate so sound `pressure' (a physical phenomena), while
electrical db's can be signal voltage or power.
I don't know what the 0 db reference is for sound, but 120 db (ie 1x10E12)
above that reference is, I think, either the threshold of pain, or a jet
engine at 10 ft.