[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] Low Level HD Formatting Software

L.Chung@ee.surrey.ac.uk (L N Chung) (05/23/91)

Which hard disk formatting program can do a low level format on IDE drives?
Which one will hand SCSI and ESDI drives ?

L.N. Chung			Dept of Elec. Eng, University of Surrey,
(ees1lc@ee.surrey.ac.uk)	Guildford, Surrey, GU2 5XH. UK.
(l.chung@ee.surrey.ac.uk)	PHONE: +44 483 571281  FAX: +44 483 34139

stone@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu (Glenn Stone) (05/25/91)

In article <1991May22.172536.10283@EE.Surrey.Ac.UK> L.Chung@ee.surrey.ac.uk (L N Chung) writes:

>Which hard disk formatting program can do a low level format on IDE drives?
>Which one will hand SCSI and ESDI drives ?

They say you can't low-level format IDE drives yourself.  The "Letters"
in the latest Byte magazine discusses why.

  Glenn Stone                                      BITNET: stone@cunixc
  Columbia University            INTERNET: stone@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu

stone@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu (Glenn Stone) (05/28/91)

L.Chung@ee.surrey.ac.uk (L N Chung) writes:

>>Which hard disk formatting program can do a low level format on IDE drives?
>>Which one will hand SCSI and ESDI drives ?
>
>They say you can't low-level format IDE drives yourself.  The "Letters"
>in the latest Byte magazine discusses why.

-Subject: Re: Low Level HD Formatting Software
-Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware,comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc,comp.os.msdos.apps
-Cc:
-
-Can you paraphrase why for us non-byte readers.
-
-rdkeys@ccvr1.cc.ncsu.edu
-

Roger Alford had an article on the IDE interface in the March issue
and answers a letter in the June issue.  His explanation is that the
only reasons to low-level format are to set the interleave factor and
map bad sectors.  IDE drives only run on a 1:1 interleave, and the bad
sectors can be marked in the factory.  While some people advise
periodic low-level formatting to freshen up the sector markers, he
claims that fading sector marks aren't really the cause of mis-reads;
misaligned heads are.

mbb@cbnewsb.cb.att.com (martin.brilliant) (05/28/91)

From article <1991May28.021833.5303@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu>, by stone@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu (Glenn Stone):

> ...  While some people advise
> periodic low-level formatting to freshen up the sector markers, he
> claims that fading sector marks aren't really the cause of mis-reads;
> misaligned heads are.

Exactly.  I thought the reason for low-level formatting an aging drive
was to realign the tracks with the misaligned heads, because that's
easier and safer than opening up the drive to realign the heads with
the tracks.  True? or fantasy?

							Marty
marty@hoqax.att.com		hoqax!marty
Martin B. Brilliant		(Winnertech Corporation)

mleech@bnr.ca (Marcus Leech) (05/28/91)

In article <1991May28.133950.14789@cbfsb.att.com>, mbb@cbnewsb.cb.att.com (martin.brilliant) writes:
|> Exactly.  I thought the reason for low-level formatting an aging drive
|> was to realign the tracks with the misaligned heads, because that's
|> easier and safer than opening up the drive to realign the heads with
|> the tracks.  True? or fantasy?
Exactly. The problem with these wizzy new sealed-hda-and-smaller-than-a-
  washing-machine drives is the inability to do what used to be routine
  maintenance, which included occasional non-destructive head realignment.
There used to be "alignment" packs that you'd load onto the drive, and with
  some other whizzo electronics, you could tweak the head alignment. This
  procedure is usually only necessary when installing a new drive, and
  perhaps every 4 or 5 years thereafter.

--
Marcus Leech, 4Y11             Bell-Northern Research  |opinions expressed
mleech@bnr.ca                  P.O. Box 3511, Stn. C   |are my own, and not

wlsmith@valve.heart.rri.uwo.ca (Wayne L. Smith) (05/28/91)

In article <1991May28.133950.14789@cbfsb.att.com> mbb@cbnewsb.cb.att.com (martin.brilliant) writes:
>> periodic low-level formatting to freshen up the sector markers, he
>> claims that fading sector marks aren't really the cause of mis-reads;
>> misaligned heads are.
>
>Exactly.  I thought the reason for low-level formatting an aging drive
>was to realign the tracks with the misaligned heads, because that's
>easier and safer than opening up the drive to realign the heads with
>the tracks.  True? or fantasy?

I thought that the heads, which would creep, would lay down data which
would be skewed in relationship to the sector id data (on the same track as the
data).  Sector id data, which is only created during a low-level format, would
eventually become unreadable as the heads crept.  But as the heads crept, the
data that they read/wrote would always be directly underneath them.  A periodic
low-level format sounds like a good way to solve this problem, IF this
really happens...

amichiel@rodan.acs.syr.edu (Allen J Michielsen) (06/01/91)

<1991May28.133950.14789@cbfsb.> mbb@cbnewsb.cb.att.com (martin.brilliant)
>From<1991May28.021833.5303@>, by stone@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu (Glenn Stone):
>> periodic low-level formatting to freshen up the sector markers, he
>> claims that fading sector marks aren't really the cause of mis-reads;
>> misaligned heads are. (In reference to a magazine article he was quoting)
>Exactly.  I thought the reason for low-level formatting an aging drive
>was to realign the tracks with the misaligned heads, ...

   I tend to agree.  When you take a older hard drive and move it on a axis
it tends to 'lose' format and this should only be due to this problem.  The
drive mfg's say that they are now designing drives with more/any/all axial
locationing designed into them. (meaning you can stand it on end or move it
between on end on on side without any problems)  The NEW design drives, I
have used, seem to support this claim, BETTER than older designed drives.
   I have read in several sources that the actual problem requiring LLF is
most commonly due to data creep.  This is where the controller/drive actuall
wipe out the LLF marks due to miscommunication between the 2 of them, and
due to HOW the system determines WHEN to start writing data bits.  Actually
the case is that writing data is rather almost done on a by guess by golly
basis, and sometimes the assumptions aren't perfect.  This type of problem is
nonexistant on ide, scsi, & esdi drives due to fundamental design differences
in HOW the controller works  (after all all 3 of these 'standards' were made
AFTER the st506 was well written in stone and has millions of hours of field
tests by users).  Actually IDE is only a st506 mfm or rll drive with much more
of the smarts of the controller included in/on the drive, and much more like
a data/address buffer i/o card for a controller.  However, this means that the
real 'controller' part is not just a standard generic interface, but hopefully
one selected/designed to be perfectly mated to the drive.  It also means that
the cable lenght and corrected capicitance for signals is known with absolute
certainty with much smaller error rates/lengths.
   However, saying that new designs have eliminated future, end of product
alignment problems AND redesign to reduce/eliminate 'bit migration' is no
excuse for NOT providing the end user with the ABILITY to LLF to their hearts
content.  Don't worry, these drives CAN be formatted by the end user with
almost every available (compatible) controller.  The software drivers are
missing, and in time will become available to everybody.  Don't worry, because
you won't need them for several years probably anyway.  The lucky few that
hopped on at the begining will be the ones to pave the way, and make the
drive mfg's sorry for their mistake.
al

--
Al. Michielsen, Mechanical & Aerospace Engineering, Syracuse University
 InterNet: amichiel@rodan.acs.syr.edu  amichiel@sunrise.acs.syr.edu