[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] Need Help!

kailun@cs.washington.edu () (05/31/91)

I am going to buy a 40MHz 386 motherboard from Computrend.  I talked to their

technician this morning, and he told me that the board is the same as their

33MHz 386, with AMI bios and EQET (sp?) chipset, except that the CPU and the

crystal.

Can someone tell me whether Computrend is a good and reliable company or not?

Moreover, can a 33MHz board support 40MHz?

My email address is: kailun@wolf.cs.washington.edu

Thanks in advance!

kailun

ching@brahms.amd.com (Mike Ching) (06/01/91)

In article <1991May30.185658.9385@beaver.cs.washington.edu> kailun@cs.washington.edu writes:
>I am going to buy a 40MHz 386 motherboard from Computrend.  I talked to their
>technician this morning, and he told me that the board is the same as their
>33MHz 386, with AMI bios and EQET (sp?) chipset, except that the CPU and the
>crystal.
>
>Can someone tell me whether Computrend is a good and reliable company or not?
>Moreover, can a 33MHz board support 40MHz?

There are only a few requirements to upgrade from 33 to 40MHz. In addition to
the CPU and crystal mentioned, it is also necessary to have a chip set that
runs at 40MHz (which most manufacturers can do by screening parts, that's
manufacturers, not dealers) and the cache data RAMs have to be changed
from 25ns to 20ns. ETEQ does have a 40MHz chip set.

Mike Ching