[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] DR-DOS 5.0 Memory Management....Help!

frotz@dri.com (Frotz) (05/31/91)

reichert@motcid.UUCP (Chuck KD9JQ) writes:
] I've been trying for months to get DR-DOS 5.0 EMM386.SYS to work with
] no luck.  Tried QEMM's QEMM.SYS with no problems, but when setting up
] EMM386 for same memory allocation, it crashes at bootup with scrambled
] screen and "protection" statement.  Even loading up as a bare manager
] without installing drivers, TSR's high causes same problem.

Have you called our Technical Support number?  1-408-646-6464.

] If anyone has gotten this to work I'd appreciate a copy of your
] EMM386.SYS /E= /I= /U= /F= /B= /R= etc.  settings and how much useable
] memory you get.

Steve is going to hate me, but here goes...;{> The address for
technical support on compuserve is:

  alias DRI_Technical_Support	76703.615@compuserve.com  (Steve McNabb)

This should definately be brought to their attention.
--
Frotz

chaz@chinet.chi.il.us (Charlie Kestner) (05/31/91)

In article <4798@cocoa46.UUCP> reichert@motcid.UUCP (Chuck KD9JQ) writes:

>	I,ve been trying for months to get DR-DOLS 5.0 EMM386.SYS to work with
>no luck.  Tried QEMM's QEMM.SYS with no problems, but when setting up EMM386
>for same memory allocation, it crashes at bootup with scrambled screen and
>"protection" statement.  Even loading up as a bare manager without installing
>drivers, TSR's high causes same problem.
>
>	The only difference I noticed is EMM386 will only work above C800 and
>EMM386 will load itself high.  Taking this into consideration I still have the
>problem.  Excluding gives me a stupid message stating on how to use the
>statement, Include, Use don't help, etc. etc.
>
>	If anyone has gotten this to work I'd appreciate a copy of your
>
>EMM386.SYS /E=  /I=  /U=  /F=  /B= /R= etc.  settings and how much useable
>memory you get.
>
>	I'm using an AMI 386  25Mhz  64k Cache  Motherboard (Mark 1) with the
>latest AMI Bios.

and went from 587K to 602K.
  Just be sure to put the device=hidos.sys AFTER the initial device=
qemm.sys

pgt@hpfcso.FC.HP.COM (Paul Tobin) (06/01/91)

* and went from 587K to 602K.

Even though I've run EMM386.SYS quite successfully, I'll second this
opinion for one reason:  running Windows 3.0.  Instead of using the
config.sys "choose your memory manager" trick from the manual, you can
run the same memory manager under DOS as well as Windows.  I've only
seen one small glitch, in that CACHE.EXE thinks it's not running, when
in fact it is.  Under EMM386.SYS it would give me disk cache hit
stats, and under QEMM it reports the disk cache is not running.  Other
than that, the combination of these 2 wonderful products is quite
powerful!

	A happy customer,

		Paul Tobin
		pgt@hpfcla.fc.hp.com

kai@kaiki.toppoint.de (Kai Voelcker) (06/03/91)

> reichert@motcid.UUCP (Chuck KD9JQ) writes:
> ] I've been trying for months to get DR-DOS 5.0 EMM386.SYS to work with
> ] If anyone has gotten this to work I'd appreciate a copy of your
> ] EMM386.SYS /E= /I= /U= /F= /B= /R= etc.  settings and how much useable
> ] memory you get.

I have HIDEVICE=C:\DRDOS\EMM386.SYS /F=NONE /K=AUTO /B=AUTO /E=C000-CFFF
in my config.sys                    ^no ems  ^extR           ^exclude space
and have ~630 KB for DOS.                                 for VGA & HDD contr.
 | Kai Voelcker, Kappelner Str 18, D-2300 Kiel 1, voice: +49 431 335605 |
 | kai@kaiki.toppoint.de    interests: 386asm, c, pascal; OR algorithms |
 | > PLEASE NOTICE: I must PAY for incoming mail! ($ 0.25/KB) Thanks. < |