[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] DTK keen 3304, 386, 33MHz system

amitava@ei.ecn.purdue.edu (Amitava Das) (05/23/91)

i am planning to buy a DTK, 80386, 33MHz system. can someone comment on
their performance and problems. any suggestion is highly welcome.

         thanks a lot.

                         amitava@ecn.purdue.edu

skipm@dorsai (Dorsai SysOp) (06/03/91)

amitava@ei.ecn.purdue.edu (Amitava Das) writes:

> i am planning to buy a DTK, 80386, 33MHz system. can someone comment on
> their performance and problems. any suggestion is highly welcome.

I'd stay away from DTK. I've had several bad experiences with their BIOS
chips and their motherboard designs in general. I cannot tell you for
sure if they are still selling the original 386DX motherboards they
did a year ago, but I can tell you they stunk - the kicker was - one
day I called DTK asking for distributors of their RAM cards (DTK uses
a proprietary edge configuration on their cards), and they told me
they no longer manufactured them, BUT, they still were manufacturing
the motherboards that used them. <?> That kind of customer support
I can do without.

Skip

** SkipM@DORSAI.com   -  The Dorsai Embassy / Dorsai Diplomatic Mission **
** (Systems Manager)  -  Consulate : (212) 431-1944                     **
** "The difference between a good man, and a bad man, is the choice of  **
**  cause." - Unknown                                                   **

j_manning@csc32.enet.dec.com (John Manning) (06/04/91)

In article <Fkiy32w163w@dorsai>, skipm@dorsai (Dorsai SysOp) writes...
>amitava@ei.ecn.purdue.edu (Amitava Das) writes:
>
>> i am planning to buy a DTK, 80386, 33MHz system. can someone comment on
>> their performance and problems. any suggestion is highly welcome.
>>

>I'd stay away from DTK. I've had several bad experiences with their BIOS
>chips and their motherboard designs in general. I cannot tell you for
>sure if they are still selling the original 386DX motherboards they
>did a year ago, but I can tell you they stunk - the kicker was - one
>day I called DTK asking for distributors of their RAM cards (DTK uses
>a proprietary edge configuration on their cards), and they told me
>they no longer manufactured them, BUT, they still were manufacturing
>the motherboards that used them. <?> That kind of customer support
>I can do without.

Different strokes I guess.

I have had a system with a DTK motherboard since August of '90 and have not
had a single problem with it or the DTK BIOS.  I haven't had any trouble
getting any software to run and all of my hardware(internal modem, soundblaster,
Seagate SCSI controller, multi-io board, Super VGA card) have worked without
a hitch.  I have filled the motherboard with 4 1mbX9 simms and wish I could
go higher without having to replace them with 2 4mbX9 simms but I guess that
is life.

|                                       |  Rudy's on a train to nowhere,       |
|    John Manning                       |  halfway down the line.              |
|    j_manning@csc32.enet.dec.com       |                                      |
|                                       | "Rudy", Crime of the Century         |
|                                       |         Supertramp                   |

mig@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu (Meir) (06/05/91)

In article <Fkiy32w163w@dorsai> skipm@dorsai (Dorsai SysOp) writes:
>amitava@ei.ecn.purdue.edu (Amitava Das) writes:
>
>> i am planning to buy a DTK, 80386, 33MHz system. can someone comment on
>> their performance and problems. any suggestion is highly welcome.
>>

>I'd stay away from DTK. I've had several bad experiences with their BIOS
>chips and their motherboard designs in general. I cannot tell you for
>sure if they are still selling the original 386DX motherboards they
>did a year ago, but I can tell you they stunk - the kicker was - one
>day I called DTK asking for distributors of their RAM cards (DTK uses
>a proprietary edge configuration on their cards), and they told me
>they no longer manufactured them, BUT, they still were manufacturing
>the motherboards that used them. <?> That kind of customer support
>I can do without.
>
>Skip

Which motherboards WOULD you recommend?

* * * * * * * * ======================= mig@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu