[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] IBM PC XT won't boot from hard disk anymore

bernd@methan.chemie.fu-berlin.de (Bernd Gill) (06/02/91)

While installing software on an IBM PC XT I accidentally introduced the
"stoned" virus, which damaged the partition table. I then reformatted
the hard disk as follows:

	fdisk	(delete existing DOS partition, create new DOS partition)
	format c: /S/V	(to make a bootable hard disk)

Unfortunately the PC won't boot from the hard disk anymore.
- There are no more viruses on the hard disk.
- The PC boots ok from the floppy drive.
- I can access data on the hard disk without problems.

It seems that the boot sector on the hard disk is not found.

The configuration is:
	IBM PC XT
	PCDOS 3.2
	CGA Col. Monitor
	10 MB Hard Disk

I would be very grateful for any help in getting the PC to boot
from the hard disk again.

Thanks very much in advance

Bernd Gill
Email: bernd@methan.chemie.fu-berlin.de

barnett@rex.cs.tulane.edu (Karey Barnett) (06/03/91)

In article <A3HRI8J@methan.chemie.fu-berlin.de> bernd@methan.chemie.fu-berlin.de (Bernd Gill) writes:

>While installing software on an IBM PC XT I accidentally introduced the
>"stoned" virus, which damaged the partition table. I then reformatted
>the hard disk as follows:
>
>       fdisk   (delete existing DOS partition, create new DOS partition)
>       format c: /S/V  (to make a bootable hard disk)
>
>Unfortunately the PC won't boot from the hard disk anymore.
>- There are no more viruses on the hard disk.
>- The PC boots ok from the floppy drive.

  You might want to try booting from the floppy drive and using the
  SYS command to make the hard drive bootable>

mig@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu (Meir) (06/05/91)

In article <7729@rex.cs.tulane.edu> barnett@rex.cs.tulane.edu (Karey Barnett) writes:
>In article <A3HRI8J@methan.chemie.fu-berlin.de> bernd@methan.chemie.fu-berlin.de (Bernd Gill) writes:
>>
>>While installing software on an IBM PC XT I accidentally introduced the
>>"stoned" virus, which damaged the partition table. I then reformatted
>>the hard disk as follows:
>>
>>       fdisk   (delete existing DOS partition, create new DOS partition)
>>       format c: /S/V  (to make a bootable hard disk)
>>
>>Unfortunately the PC won't boot from the hard disk anymore.
>>- There are no more viruses on the hard disk.
>>- The PC boots ok from the floppy drive.
>
>  You might want to try booting from the floppy drive and using the
>  SYS command to make the hard drive bootable>

Did you copy command.com to the hard disk?
What DOS version are you running?

* * * * * * * * ======================= mig@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu