[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] printer initialisation problem

dwright@gara.une.oz.au (Denis Wright) (06/02/91)

Posting for a friend who can't solve the following:

-------------------------------------

I have printer initialization problems. Perhaps someone can help. I
have an Epson LQ400 printer, an AT compatible (Taiwanese EMK-286V)
with a Paradise-compatible VGA card (EMK-16 VGA1024)(set to 16 bit
operation), a Genius mouse (using the MS Word driver), a TP250P
monitor and umm, well, I hope that is enough.
The problem is that, unless I boot up with the printer already on
(which is very rare for me), it won't initialise when I do switch it
on. The power light comes on, but that's all. If I fiddle about
switching it on and off while sending print commands from a word
processor, it will sometimes initialise, but not always. It may be
the order in which I do things, though I have yet to find a reliable
method. The printer initialises quite well if disconnected from the
computer: in fact, if it has been switched on while disconnected
then is plugged into the computer, it de-initialises itself!
What's going on here?

--------------------------------------

Any advice is welcome!

Thanks,

Denis Wright.

phys169@csc.canterbury.ac.nz (06/05/91)

In article <6762@gara.une.oz.au>, dwright@gara.une.oz.au (Denis Wright) writes:
> The problem is that, unless I boot up with the printer already on
> (which is very rare for me), it won't initialise when I do switch it
> on. The power light comes on, but that's all.

It is possible the computer has the same stupid BIOS one of mine does: if the
printer is not ready when the PC starts up, the Power-On Self-Test routine
thinks there is no valid printer port there. It is possible, though, the
problem is with the printer, so test it by plugging it into some other PC's and
see if the problem remains. If it is the BIOS, either get a new BIOS, or have a
look at RAM locations 40:8h to 40:Fh and the equipment word returned by int 11h
after starting up with and without the printer ready; if they differ write a
wee program to put the correct values there, and call it from AUTOEXEC.BAT.
If the problem is with teh printer, well, I don't know what the answer would
be, but try some different printer cables - the Centronics interface has some
pins poorly defined - some printers need them earthed, some use it for
initiating a self-test - just possibly something is odd there. Beyond that,
there are many faint possibilities, such as junk being sent to the printer (but
that would normally be a problem if you powered up the other way round).

Good luck,
Mark Aitchison, Physics, University of Canterbury, New Zealand.

sher@bbn.com (Lawrence D. Sher) (06/05/91)

In article <6762@gara.une.oz.au> dwright@gara.une.oz.au (Denis Wright) writes:
>I have printer initialization problems. Perhaps someone can help. I
>have an Epson LQ400 printer, an AT compatible (Taiwanese EMK-286V)
>The problem is that, unless I boot up with the printer already on
>(which is very rare for me), it won't initialise when I do switch it
>on. The power light comes on, but that's all. If I fiddle about

I had a similar problem with a Dell 310.  Dell's excellent hotline
came through again with the advice to put an isolator in the lpt line
going to the printer.  They had such for $20 (I think) so I gave my VISA
number and it appeared in a day or two.  Voila, problem solved.  The
isolator turned out to be a male-female DB25 adapter (zero-length cable)
that had a 220 ohm (I think) resistor in every line!  I don't know
whether these beasties are purchasable at your corner computer store.
            /Internet email: sher@bbn.com
Larry Sher <        US Mail: BBN, MS 6/5A, 10 Moulton St., Cambridge, MA 02138
            \     Telephone: (617) 873 3426    FAX: (617) 873 3776