[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] uucp?

dlcogswe@vela.acs.oakland.edu (Dan Cogswell) (06/04/91)

Is uucp available (either freeware or shareware) for DOS?  I have a uucp
account, but no uucp software to connect to it. :-(

Thanks...

--
Dan Cogswell			 dlcogswe@vela.acs.oakland.edu

it23026@coral.micro.umn.edu ( ???) (06/05/91)

dlcogswe@vela.acs.oakland.edu (Dan Cogswell) writes:

>Is uucp available (either freeware or shareware) for DOS?  I have a uucp
>account, but no uucp software to connect to it. :-(

>Thanks...

>--
>Dan Cogswell			 dlcogswe@vela.acs.oakland.edu

Try ftp to wuarchive.wustl.edu, go to directory /mirrors/msdos/bbs, look for file waf164.zip (waffle BBS, a stand alone bbs or you can connect it to UNIX). Or you can go to directory /mirrors/msdos/uupc to get the latest version of uupc (a unix to unix copy for PC).

Good Hunting.

mfrancis@borland.UUCP (Mike Francis) (06/06/91)

dlcogswe@vela.acs.oakland.edu (Dan Cogswell) writes:

> Is uucp available (either freeware or shareware) for DOS?  I have a uucp
> account, but no uucp software to connect to it. :-(
>
> Thanks...

Yes there is ! Check out Waffle.. it's a great program. The following info
was excerpted from the Waffle README file:

------------- Portions of:
README for Waffle DOS version v1.64
(C) Copyright 1991 Darkside International

This version:       v1.64 released 15 Jan 1991
Previous version:   v1.63 released 01 Sep 1990

CAPABILITIES & FUNCTIONS OF WAFFLE/DOS

  o  Allows a PC to communicate with Unix systems using the UUCP
     "g" protocol, giving them capability to exchange UUCP mail
     and Usenet news. Contains DOS equivalents for UUCICO, UUXQT,
     UUX, UUQ, UUCP, RMAIL, RNEWS, and a news & mail reader.

  o  Can be run as an single-user, individual UUCP node.

  o  Can be run as a BBS program, including electronic mail,
     messages, editor, transfer section, access controls, external
     programs, cookies and numerous other amenities.

  o  A scheduler can execute DOS commands (such as polling
     neighboring sites) at specific times or on a regular basis.

  o  Mail facilities include mail aliases, address routing,
     gatewaying of E-Mail into Usenet newsgroups.

  o  Usenet News facilities include support for batched &
     compressed news, the ability to give other sites newsfeeds,
     access control on a per newsgroup basis.

  o  Hooks are provided for gating both mail & news into
     external networks (or specific programs).

  o  Supports FOSSIL communications driver in addition to native
     interrupt package, for those with high speed modems.

WHERE TO FIND NEW VERSIONS

  New Waffle releases occur whenever there has been substantial work
  done on it. Currently this is every couple of months, so check around
  every once in a while to see if there is a newer version available.

  o  By X,Y,ZMODEM download

     +1 408 245 SPAM (2400 baud), in /public/waffle/wafxxx.zip

  o  By Anonymous FTP

     simtel20.army.mil     PD1:<MSDOS.BBS>WAFxxx.ZIP
     wuarchive.wustl.edu   /mirrors/msdos/bbs/wafxxx.zip.1

  o  By postal mail

     [ see REGISTER.DOC for address & details ]

     We are happy to mail copies to people who preregister,
     including airmail overseas.

  Support for this software is available to registered users of Waffle.
  Upgrades are issued frequently. Our USA postal mailing address is

    Thomas E Dell
    Darkside International
    Post Office Box 4436
    Mountain View CA 94040-0436

  The preferred method of contact is via electronic mail;
  you can contact the author at:

    dell@vox.darkside.com (...vox!dell)

  If you don't have E-Mail access, you can contact the author by
  sending FEEDBACK at:

	The Dark Side of the Moon
	300/1200/2400 bps 24 hours 8N1
	+1 408/245-SPAM
	A Telecommunications Tradition Since 1985

  There also exists an alt.bbs.waffle Usenet newsgroup. The group
  is new and not all sites may be carrying it. It is also not an
  "official" support group, but we will be keeping an eye on it. If
  you can't receive this newsgroup we may be able to refer you to
  a place that does.

UNIX VERSION OF WAFFLE

The Unix version of Waffle runs under any one of A/UX, BSD 4.3, ESIX,
HP/UX, SGI Unix, SunOS, Ultrix, SCO Unix, Xenix or 386/ix. Multitasking
is available only under the Unix versions. The platform is transparent to
the dialup user. Waffle interfaces directly with the Usenet B or C News
software. For more information see the REGISTER.DOC and UNIX.DOC files.

--
dell@vox.darkside.com
(C) Copyright 1991 Darkside Int'l

:end

Mike Francis                              E-MAIL: apple!borland!mfrancis
Borland International                     MCI: Mike_Francis@mcimail.com
International Development Unit            CIS: 75410.1772@compuserve.com