[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] DR DOS 5.0

umcarls9@ccu.umanitoba.ca (Charles Carlson) (08/29/90)

I had been sort of confused about what people had been saying regarding
the memory available in DR DOS 5.0 for DOS applications.  Then I
saw an 800 number for DR posted on a BBS so I called and asked myself,
this is what they told me:

On a 286 machine, with atleast 1 meg, WITHOUT the C&T NEAT chipset, you
will have between 585K and 604K available for DOS applications.
With the C&T NEAT chipset, you will have 604K to 620K available for
DOS applications, which is also what will be available to 386 users.

This means you DO NOT! need EMS memory to get the 585K to 604K free,
which is what I had assumed from some of the postings.

Hope this clears up some confusion for others.

For those interested the number is 1-800-443-4200 and it works from
Canada too!

Charles

marks@pwa-b.uucp (Evan R. Marks) (01/03/91)

I am interested in opinions and information on DR DOS 5.0.  I just purchased
it and am interested in compatability problems/issues.  So Far I have noticed
the following:

1.  Joe Montana Football has problems
2.  SYTOS tape backup software will not run
3.  Lotus 123 R 3.1 has problems
4.  VGA MAHJONGG will not run

Any people knowing how to get these to work, please let me know

thanx
--
Evan R. Marks  			   	 Pratt & Whitney Aircraft
Sr. Systems Support Analyst              400 Main St. M/S 161-05

daveg@hpcvra.cv.hp.com. (Dave Guggisberg) (01/05/91)

>> 1.  Joe Montana Football has problems

Yes, but Joe typically has a let down just before the play-offs.  Look
for things to improve two weeks from now, in the play-offs.

OH, you mean the software game,  excuse me!

Dave Guggisberg
Hewlett-Packard

dab6@po.CWRU.Edu (Douglas A. Bell) (05/22/91)

In a previous article, proberts@disk.uucp (Phil Roberts) says:

>Why, "according to all reports", is DR DOS 5.0 superior?

I have a 386sx20 with 3 megs of ram

in my config.sys I have:

emm386.sys
ansi.sys
an ems disk cache prog. that comes with dr dos 5.0
f-driver from f-prot anti virus
and clarkson packet drivers

in my autoexec.bat I have:

CED Command line EDitor
gmouse
and more packet driver stuff.

According to norton 5.0, I have 584k of free conventional memory left.

That's pretty superior.
--
Douglas Bell         "... but that's not important, that's just numbers."
dab6@po.cwru.edu               Dr. Wu,  Math Professor

kens@hplsla.HP.COM (Ken Snyder) (05/23/91)

 dab6@po.CWRU.Edu (Douglas A. Bell) writes:

| In a previous article, proberts@disk.uucp (Phil Roberts) says:
| >
| >Why, "according to all reports", is DR DOS 5.0 superior?
|
| I have a 386sx20 with 3 megs of ram
   387DX w/8 megs running MSDOS 4.01

| in my config.sys I have:
|
| emm386.sys
    QEMM386

| ansi.sys
    me too
| an ems disk cache prog. that comes with dr dos 5.0
    NCACHE-F, Norton's disc cacher

| f-driver from f-prot anti virus
| and clarkson packet drivers
    I have HPIB.SYS, RAMDRIVE.SYS

| in my autoexec.bat I have:
|
| CED Command line EDitor
    4DOS already has a built in CED

| gmouse
    MOUSE

| and more packet driver stuff.
    no packets for me

| According to norton 5.0, I have 584k of free conventional memory left.
    According to Norton 5.0 I have 587k of conventional memory left.

| That's pretty superior.
    Superior to what????

  I am curious about DRDOS 5.0 (I've seen the adds) but the question
remains, what will it do for me that I don't already have?  Obviously,
memory management isn't it (at least from this example).

Ken

dab6@po.CWRU.Edu (Douglas A. Bell) (05/24/91)

In a previous article, kens@hplsla.HP.COM (Ken Snyder) says:

[ while comparing 4dos with dr dos 5.0 ]

>  I am curious about DRDOS 5.0 (I've seen the adds) but the question
>remains, what will it do for me that I don't already have?  Obviously,
>memory management isn't it (at least from this example).

Here are a few other things that dr dos 5.0 can do

If I don't care to run windows in 386 enhanced mode, I can run my
system with ansi, ced, disk cache and stuff and have 620k of free memory.

I can also use clarkson packet drivers & b.y.u. ipx to run my machine
on a novell network, or use ka9q to do tcpip stuff across the internet.

I am not familiar with 4dos.
Is it also networkable, and does it run ms windows?

But this illustrates the biggest problem of ibm pc's.
Something is wrong when you have 3 megs of ram, but you are still
happy to clear up 50k of memory, while over 2 megs sits around pretty
much unused.

Dr Dos 5.0 isn't any sort of tremendous break through, but it does
provide the memory features of qemm for less money.
--

frotz@dri.com (Frotz) (05/30/91)

kens@hplsla.HP.COM (Ken Snyder) writes:

] dab6@po.CWRU.Edu (Douglas A. Bell) writes:
]| In a previous article, proberts@disk.uucp (Phil Roberts) says:
]| >Why, "according to all reports", is DR DOS 5.0 superior?

]| According to norton 5.0, I have 584k of free conventional memory left.
]    According to Norton 5.0 I have 587k of conventional memory left.
]|
]| That's pretty superior.
]    Superior to what????

]  I am curious about DRDOS 5.0 (I've seen the adds) but the question
]remains, what will it do for me that I don't already have?  Obviously,
]memory management isn't it (at least from this example).

Command help for one.  C:\> DIR/H gives you something rational about
how to use DIR...  The same for most (if not all) other commands in DR
DOS.  Granted.  You probably don't need this.

Nifty-whiz-bang-setup utility for quick reconfiguration...  Again, it
doesn't sound like you *need* this.

FILELINK.  Our response to an OS supplied lap-link...

A rational TREE command.

I would expect that they big gains are in memory management for
_people_who_don't_already_have_it_...  I would also say that the
comparison is against vanilla DOS 3.3 or 4.01...

We are not comparing vanilla operating systems with add-ons, we are
comparing operating systems to like operating systems.
--
Frotz

kmcvay@oneb.wimsey.bc.ca (Ken McVay) (06/06/91)

In article <WNN3G4V@dri.com> frotz@dri.com writes:

>Command help for one.  C:\> DIR/H gives you something rational about
>how to use DIR...  The same for most (if not all) other commands in DR
>DOS.  Granted.  You probably don't need this.
>Nifty-whiz-bang-setup utility for quick reconfiguration...  Again, it
>doesn't sound like you *need* this.
>FILELINK.  Our response to an OS supplied lap-link...
>A rational TREE command.
>
>I would expect that they big gains are in memory management for
>_people_who_don't_already_have_it_...  I would also say that the
>comparison is against vanilla DOS 3.3 or 4.01...
>
>We are not comparing vanilla operating systems with add-ons, we are
>comparing operating systems to like operating systems.

Let's not overlook the PASSWORD functions either -

         Switch        Affect on file
--------------------   --------------
PASSWORD /R:password - required for reading, copying, writing,
		       deleting, renaming, changing attrib's
	/W:password  - file can be read without password, but pwd
		       required for copy, delete, rename or change
		       attributes
	/D:password  - required only for deleting or renaming
	 	       file - don't need pwd for read, modify, or
		       change attrib's
	/P:password  - password operates on subdirs instead of files
	/G:password  - sets GLOBAL default password

- or the cache
- or the added CHKDSK switches
- or the DELQ/ERAQ "delete with query" commands
- or the FIND command (searches for strings of char's in a group of
  text files and displays lines containing them)
- or the REPLACE function
- or the SHARE command.... which isn't needed to support large drives,
  since the o/s already has built-in support for them, unlike DOS,
  which forces you to use SHARE whether you need it (LANS, etc) or not..
- or TOUCH
- or XDEL, which can remove empty subdirs, delete multiple files in
  subdirs and then del the subdir, and which enhances security by
  permitting you to force "overwrite before delete" to make SURE the
  file is completely erased, permanently...
- or the enhance debugger, full-screen, WS-compat. editor, etc.

DOS? Phooey :-)

--
         1B Systems Management Limited - FrontDoor/TosScan VAR
          +1-604-754-7423 | Nanaimo, British Columbia, CANADA

phys169@csc.canterbury.ac.nz (06/07/91)

In article <1991Jun05.200857.26326@oneb.wimsey.bc.ca>, kmcvay@oneb.wimsey.bc.ca (Ken McVay) writes:
> Let's not overlook the PASSWORD functions either -

I've found that the password protection facility in DRDOS 5 beats the Dark
Avenger virus. Has anyone found with what other common viruses such protection
is helpful? (Obviously not boot sector infectors). Because DRDOS has some basic
differences, such as in the "list of lists", I would guess some sneaky-trick
viruses will also fail, but I'd love to hear from anyone with experience of
such things.

Mark Aitchison, Physics, University of Canterbury, New Zealand.