[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] ZIP on Unix: Text files

yee@edison.seas.ucla.edu (John Yee) (06/06/91)

Hi, an elementary question most likely, but...
Even if we do get ZIP for Unix, don't we still have the same problem
of Unix using <LF> for end-of-line, while DOS uses <LF>-<CR>, so that
if we download ZIPped text files to our PC's, we still have to run
them through things like WordPerfect's text save to get the <CR>'s?
Of course, a short program would work, I suppose, but maybe the inclusion
of some kind of DOS option in the upcoming ZIP would solve this thing
most gracefully?
Sorry if I am missing something obvious here...
jy, yee@seas.ucla.edu

ncc1701@aix01.aix.rpi.edu (Mark O. Chadwick) (06/07/91)

yee@edison.seas.ucla.edu (John Yee) writes:

>Even if we do get ZIP for Unix, don't we still have the same problem
>of Unix using <LF> for end-of-line, while DOS uses <LF>-<CR>, so that
>if we download ZIPped text files to our PC's, we still have to run
>them through things like WordPerfect's text save to get the <CR>'s?
>Of course, a short program would work, I suppose, but maybe the inclusion
>of some kind of DOS option in the upcoming ZIP would solve this thing
>most gracefully?

This would only affect text files.  But, I think most word processors can
deal with it, albeit somewhat poorly.  If you would like a converter that
does what you ask (for DOS, anyway) let me know. I've got a short one.

--
Mark "Emerson" Chadwick         ncc1701@rpi.edu  or  usergdes@rpitsmts.bitnet
"It has come to the attention of management that employees have been dying on

u8902741@cs.uow.edu.au (Kiddie) (06/08/91)

yee@edison.seas.ucla.edu (John Yee) writes:

>Even if we do get ZIP for Unix, don't we still have the same problem
>of Unix using <LF> for end-of-line, while DOS uses <LF>-<CR>, so that
>if we download ZIPped text files to our PC's, we still have to run
>them through things like WordPerfect's text save to get the <CR>'s?
>Of course, a short program would work, I suppose, but maybe the inclusion
>of some kind of DOS option in the upcoming ZIP would solve this thing
>most gracefully?

If you want some programs to do this for you, ive written and optimised
one for unix and one for dos, it now processes ( on the dos machine )
about 2 megs a minute.
See ya
--
 _--_|\      Kevin Withnall   3:712/206.0>Fidonet
/      \     u8902741@wyvern.cs.uow.edu.au

w8sdz@rigel.acs.oakland.edu (Keith Petersen) (06/08/91)

UNZIP41 for Unix, which was recently released by the Info-ZIP group,
has an option to deal with text files.  Here is the help screen:

UnZip:  Zipfile Extract v4.1 of 5-13-91;  (C) 1989 Samuel H. Smith
Courtesy of:  S.H.Smith  and  The Tool Shop BBS,  (602) 279-2673.

Versions 3.0 and later brought to you by the fine folks at Info-ZIP
(Info-ZIP@WSMR-SIMTEL20.Army.Mil)

Usage:  unzip [ -xecptlvz[qadoUV] ] file[.zip] [filespec...]
  -x,-e  extract files in archive (default--i.e., this flag is optional)
  -c     extract files to stdout ("CRT")
  -p     extract files to stdout and no informational messages (for pipes)
  -t     test files
  -l     list files (short format)
  -v     verbose listing of files
  -z     display only the archive comment
  -q     perform operations quietly (up to two q's allowed)
  -a     convert to Unix/VMS textfile format (CR LF => LF)
  -d     include directory structure when extracting/listing
  -o     OK to overwrite files without prompting
  -U     don't map filenames to lowercase for selected (uppercase) OS's
  -V     retain file version numbers

If you would like to help port and Beta test UNZIP and ZIP for
minicomputers and mainframes send your mailing list subscription
request to:

   Info-ZIP-Request@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL
            -------

Keith
--
Keith Petersen
Maintainer of the MSDOS, MISC and CP/M archives at SIMTEL20 [192.88.110.20]

morgan@chaos.cs.brandeis.edu (Dylan Kaufman) (06/09/91)

   Date: 6 Jun 91 06:04:50 GMT

   Hi, an elementary question most likely, but...
   Even if we do get ZIP for Unix, don't we still have the same problem
   of Unix using <LF> for end-of-line, while DOS uses <LF>-<CR>, so that
   if we download ZIPped text files to our PC's, we still have to run
   them through things like WordPerfect's text save to get the <CR>'s?
   Of course, a short program would work, I suppose, but maybe the inclusion
   of some kind of DOS option in the upcoming ZIP would solve this thing
   most gracefully?

I was using QEdit for a while, but got Epsilon instead, and I have
discovered that it is really quite easy to deal with the difference
with those two because they are very quick... I just load in the file
I want to change and make the editor write it out again... takes a
couple seconds...

Perhaps when Phil Katz comes out (if he does) with a unix version of
Zip, he'll make it so that any version will change text files for you
on the fly (while unzipping perhaps) if you request it...

--
-<>Dylan<>-                     MA EMT-M, CA EMT-1A, BEMCo 107
Dylan Kaufman 			Major in Computer Science