[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] qemm 386 and reboot

msmith@proton.tricity.wsu.edu (Mark Smith) (06/07/91)

Greetings all.

Well, I went out and got QEMM 386 at least.  I LOVE it.

With the EMM 386 and HIMEM.SYS that came with DO$ 4.01 I couldn't do
a warm boot (ctrl-alt-del), the system just froze, tight.

With Qemm My system runs like a charm.

Oh, its a so so 386-25 clone with AMI bios dated mid 90
    2Meg ram.
    3 Foppies.
    VGA (paradise chipset with 512K)
and a few others.

Thanks for the advice all.  Now all I need is 8 Meg of ram (chuckle).

orenalex@bimacs.BITNET (oren alex) (06/10/91)

In article <1991Jun7.045022.5288@serval.net.wsu.edu> msmith@proton.tricity.wsu.edu (Mark Smith) writes:

>With the EMM 386 and HIMEM.SYS that came with DO$ 4.01 I couldn't do
>a warm boot (ctrl-alt-del), the system just froze, tight.
>
>With Qemm My system runs like a charm.

Strange, my system freezes tight (blank screen + 2 beeps) if i warm
boot while running QEMM.
Tried almost everything, including telling qemm not to map the reboot
page - no luck!

any ideas?

thanx,
        alex.

umcarls9@ccu.umanitoba.ca (Charles Carlson) (06/10/91)

In <3356@bimacs.BITNET> orenalex@bimacs.BITNET (oren alex) writes:

>In article <1991Jun7.045022.5288@serval.net.wsu.edu> msmith@proton.tricity.wsu.edu (Mark Smith) writes:

>>With the EMM 386 and HIMEM.SYS that came with DO$ 4.01 I couldn't do
>>a warm boot (ctrl-alt-del), the system just froze, tight.
>>
>>With Qemm My system runs like a charm.
>>

>Strange, my system freezes tight (blank screen + 2 beeps) if i warm
>boot while running QEMM.
>Tried almost everything, including telling qemm not to map the reboot
>page - no luck!

>any ideas?

I used to have various reboot troubles with QEMM.  Was always traced back
to a memory conflict.  Besure QEMM isn't using the area used by
VGA adapters, hard drive controllers, and NICs, etc.

Charles