[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] Word-Perfect-Question !!!

Frank2.Simon@arbi.informatik.uni-oldenburg.de (Frank 'Biber' Simon) (05/28/91)

Hi,

i have a IBM-compatible XT using most of time WORD-PERFEKT 5.0. In my
opinion it's the best text-program: It isn't very hard to use it and it
has got very many features.
But at the moment i have a big problem with changing the size of paper:

If you want to change the size (SHIFT+F8+2) there is a big list of
different paper-sizes. The last one "other" allows you to enter your
own size (in inch or cm). There's no problem for me to change it in my
way. After entering that exact size (high and bright) a new menue is given
by WORD-PERFEKT to choose the kind of paper (standard, formular, address...).
I think standard is the most useful option and so i choose standard.
Until now there is no problem, also writing with all options is possible.

The problem i mean is to print the following text. In normal printing
(when i haven't changed the size of paper) after entering SHIFT+F7+1
the text is automatically printed and the normal text is displayed again.
But in the size-changed kind after entering SHIFT+F7+1 the text is displayed
again too but now printed. It only beeps for a short time. To print the
text i must go in the printer-menue again (SHIFT+F7) and go in the
option PRINTER-CONTROL. There are displayed the Printer-Jobs. After the
actually job (to print   m y  text) appears: To print please enter "G".
After entering that the text really will be printed but at every new
page i must do the same procedure again. Why WORD-PERFECT don't print
automatically all pages if i have changed the size of the paper ???

I hope there is kind of solution for this problem because i only work
with paper not having a standard-size !!!

Thank you     .... - FRANK -
--
FRONT242FRONT242FRONT242FRONT242FRONT242FRONT242FRONT242FRONT242FRONT242FRONT
    E-MAIL-ADDRESS:      ~       I am       ~      MAIL-ADRESS:

matth@progress.COM (Matthew J. Harper) (05/29/91)

Frank2.Simon@arbi.informatik.uni-oldenburg.de (Frank 'Biber' Simon) writes:

>Hi,

>i have a IBM-compatible XT using most of time WORD-PERFEKT 5.0. In my
>opinion it's the best text-program: It isn't very hard to use it and it
>has got very many features.
>But at the moment i have a big problem with changing the size of paper:

>If you want to change the size (SHIFT+F8+2) there is a big list of
>different paper-sizes. The last one "other" allows you to enter your
>own size (in inch or cm). There's no problem for me to change it in my
>way. After entering that exact size (high and bright) a new menue is given
>by WORD-PERFEKT to choose the kind of paper (standard, formular, address...).
>I think standard is the most useful option and so i choose standard.
>Until now there is no problem, also writing with all options is possible.

>The problem i mean is to print the following text. In normal printing
>(when i haven't changed the size of paper) after entering SHIFT+F7+1
>the text is automatically printed and the normal text is displayed again.
>But in the size-changed kind after entering SHIFT+F7+1 the text is displayed
>again too but now printed. It only beeps for a short time. To print the
>text i must go in the printer-menue again (SHIFT+F7) and go in the
>option PRINTER-CONTROL. There are displayed the Printer-Jobs. After the
>actually job (to print   m y  text) appears: To print please enter "G".
>After entering that the text really will be printed but at every new
>page i must do the same procedure again. Why WORD-PERFECT don't print
>automatically all pages if i have changed the size of the paper ???

>I hope there is kind of solution for this problem because i only work
>with paper not having a standard-size !!!

>Thank you     .... - FRANK -
>--
>FRONT242FRONT242FRONT242FRONT242FRONT242FRONT242FRONT242FRONT242FRONT242FRONT
>    E-MAIL-ADDRESS:      ~       I am       ~      MAIL-ADRESS:
>    Frank2.Simon@arbi.   ~       because    ~      Frank Simon
>    informatik.uni-      ~       somebody   ~      Alexanderstr. 156
>    oldenburg.de         ~       dreams me  ~      2900 Oldenburg

  It just so happens that I battled this problem for my mother-in-law last
month. ( Progressing nicely.  Nothing like training 'em yourself !-)

  Anyway, the reason it will not print it correctly is because WP has no idea
just what it is you are asking for.  The sheet sizes that show up in shift-F8
are formats supplied by WP.  For a non-standard size you have to define it
as a possible resource.  Further, you have to do it for each printer you might
use it on.

  To do this you go into the printer setup routine in shift-F7 and define a new
paper size.  (Sorry, I don't recall all the actual screen titles.)  I know
that you supply a form name, sheet size, and margin information.

  This is a crappy design.  It drove me nuts for about 45 minutes before I
figured it out, and I had a manual!  It is only after you do this that you can
select a non-standard sheet size from within WP.  This includes labels,
which is why I got involved in the first place!

  Good luck.  be patient.  It is possible, it's just involved (sometimes).

 matth
--
Matthew J. Harper                   UUCP: mit-eddie!progress!matth
Progress Software Corp.		    Internet: matth@progress.com

ESR@SLACVM.SLAC.STANFORD.EDU (Ed Russell) (05/29/91)

In article <5619@uniol.UUCP>, Frank2.Simon@arbi.informatik.uni-oldenburg.de
(Frank 'Biber' Simon) says:
>  [stuff deleted]
>
>If you want to change the size (SHIFT+F8+2) there is a big list of
>different paper-sizes. The last one "other" allows you to enter your
>own size (in inch or cm). There's no problem for me to change it in my
>way. After entering that exact size (high and bright) a new menue is given
>by WORD-PERFEKT to choose the kind of paper (standard, formular, address...).
>I think standard is the most useful option and so i choose standard.
>Until now there is no problem, also writing with all options is possible.
>
>The problem i mean is to print the following text. In normal printing
>(when i haven't changed the size of paper) after entering SHIFT+F7+1
>the text is automatically printed and the normal text is displayed again.
>But in the size-changed kind after entering SHIFT+F7+1 the text is displayed
>again too but now printed. It only beeps for a short time. To print the
>text i must go in the printer-menue again (SHIFT+F7) and go in the
>option PRINTER-CONTROL. There are displayed the Printer-Jobs. After the
>actually job (to print   m y  text) appears: To print please enter "G".
>After entering that the text really will be printed but at every new
>page i must do the same procedure again. Why WORD-PERFECT don't print
>automatically all pages if i have changed the size of the paper ???

When you define a new form or "other" type of paper, one of the things you
tell it is whether it is single sheets or continuous forms.  I don't
remember the actual key stroke sequence.  For "other" forms I suspect it
defaults to single sheets rather than continuous.  Try changing the form
definition to continuous and see if that gets rid of your problem.  The
beep and the need to type "G" is in anticipation of your feeding a new
sheet of paper into the printer.  This will also vary somewhat depending
on the kind of printer you have defined.

sammy@cbnewsd.att.com (Sammy) (06/02/91)

Frank,

I don't have my manual here, so I can't give you specifics, but I
may be able to help you find what to look for.

When you set up your new paper size, be sure to set up the location
of the paper - you want 'continuous.' Evidently the default for
'Other' is such that WP expects you to have to feed the paper by
hand, which is why you have to give the printer a 'Go' at every
page. Let WP know that the paper will feed by itself, and you'll
be ok.

--
Sammy=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
The enemy of women...is not men, just as the enemy of blacks is not whites.

bob@consult.UUCP (Bob Willey) (06/10/91)

In article <1991May28.203542.20513@progress.com> matth@progress.COM (Matthew J. Harper) writes:
>>But at the moment i have a big problem with changing the size of paper:
>>page i must do the same procedure again. Why WORD-PERFECT don't print
>>automatically all pages if i have changed the size of the paper ???
>  It just so happens that I battled this problem for my mother-in-law last
>month. ( Progressing nicely.  Nothing like training 'em yourself !-)
>  Anyway, the reason it will not print it correctly is because WP has no idea
>just what it is you are asking for.  The sheet sizes that show up in shift-F8

Actually you can solve this problem very easily.  Go into Shift F8 (format)
and go to page, paper-size, and highlight the one you are using and take
the edit option.  At this point you will see all of the options already
selected.  One of the options is for continuous/manual feed.  Change this
option and wordperfect will not ask you for a "Go".  The G for Go is because
the form is setup for manual feed. (the default for non-standard papers,
since they assume you will need to load the special paper.)