[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] A question about Windows

tmurphy%peruvian.utah.edu@cs.utah.edu (Thomas Murphy) (06/09/91)

In article <1991Jun9.020012.19291@beaver.cs.washington.edu> kailun@cs.washington.edu writes:

>Hi,
>
>I am running Windows 3.0 on my 386.  After opening several windows, I
>found that my hard drive would run for a few seconds every time when I
>selected the Program Manager.  Is it the so-called 'swapping' process?
>Will it help if I add more RAM on my PC? I received my computer just
>two days ago, so I know little about Windows.

Yes and Yes.  If you have the program manager up you can see just how much
space you have left in memory at each step too.  More ram will allow you
to have more open without swapping to the hardisk and you can also make
your swapdisk a ram drive.

      Murph                     "Government that governs the least

kailun@cs.washington.edu () (06/09/91)

Hi,

I am running Windows 3.0 on my 386.  After opening several windows, I
found that my hard drive would run for a few seconds every time when I
selected the Program Manager.  Is it the so-called 'swapping' process?
Will it help if I add more RAM on my PC? I received my computer just
two days ago, so I know little about Windows.

Thanks in advance.

kailun@wolf.cs.washington.edu

glennm@rover.enet.dec.com (Glenn Meyer) (06/09/91)

In article <1991Jun9.020012.19291@beaver.cs.washington.edu>,
kailun@cs.washington.edu writes:
> From: kailun@cs.washington.edu
> Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc,comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc
> Subject: A question about Windows
> Date: 9 Jun 91 02:00:12 GMT
> Sender: news@beaver.cs.washington.edu (USENET News System)
> Originator: kailun@wolf.cs.washington.edu
>

> Hi,
>
> I am running Windows 3.0 on my 386.  After opening several windows, I
> found that my hard drive would run for a few seconds every time when I
> selected the Program Manager.  Is it the so-called 'swapping' process?
> Will it help if I add more RAM on my PC? I received my computer just
> two days ago, so I know little about Windows.
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> kailun@wolf.cs.washington.edu

If you're running with 1 Mb of RAM, you should definitely upgrade to 2Mb, and
consider upgrading to 4 Mb (you should be able to find RAM for $60-70 per Mb).
It also helps to run in 386-enhanced mode.

By the way, you should post questions about MS Windows to comp.windows.ms.

Glenn Meyer
glennm@decwrl.dec.com

poffen@sj.ate.slb.com (Russ Poffenberger) (06/11/91)

In article <1991Jun9.163121.22559@pa.dec.com> glennm@rover.enet.dec.com (Glenn Meyer) writes:
>In article <1991Jun9.020012.19291@beaver.cs.washington.edu>,
>kailun@cs.washington.edu writes:
>> From: kailun@cs.washington.edu
>> Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc,comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc
>> Subject: A question about Windows
>> Date: 9 Jun 91 02:00:12 GMT
>> Sender: news@beaver.cs.washington.edu (USENET News System)
>> Originator: kailun@wolf.cs.washington.edu
>>

>> Hi,
>>
>> I am running Windows 3.0 on my 386.  After opening several windows, I
>> found that my hard drive would run for a few seconds every time when I
>> selected the Program Manager.  Is it the so-called 'swapping' process?
>> Will it help if I add more RAM on my PC? I received my computer just
>> two days ago, so I know little about Windows.
>>
>> Thanks in advance.
>>
>> kailun@wolf.cs.washington.edu
>>

>If you're running with 1 Mb of RAM, you should definitely upgrade to 2Mb, and
>consider upgrading to 4 Mb (you should be able to find RAM for $60-70 per Mb).
>It also helps to run in 386-enhanced mode.

I have seen from some of the larger places, not necessarily well known for the
lowest prices, have memory (SIMMS) around $52/Mb (1M X 9). Some shopping should
find them even cheaper.

1601 Technology Drive		CIS:	72401,276
San Jose, Ca. 95110             (408)437-5254

kailun@cs.washington.edu (Kai-Lun Chan) (06/11/91)

Thank you for your help!!

kailun