[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] Need Help with MS-Kermit and a VM/XA System

seanp@amix.commodore.com (Sean Petty) (06/10/91)

 Recently I tried to use the MS-Kermit terminal that I received from the
Computing Center of my college, to access and retrieve files from thier VM/XA
system.  I am using MS-Kermit 3.01, and am having a rather difficult time.

I can ftp the files to the University Computer OK, (I think they make it ok),
however, when I try to send the files from the Univ. computer, to my system
(MSDOS) they are getting mangled somehow.  That is, after I receive them on my
home system, and try to decompress them, they won't decompress.

Could someone tell me:

        A)  What I am doing wrong?

        B)  Where I can get a recent copy of MS-Kermit

        C)  If there is a way to tell the remote host that the file it
            is sending is binary, and not text (This may be it!)

        D)  If someone could walk me through a complete session of sending
            the files via Kermit...

*****EMAIL RESPONSES PREFERRED*****

Sean

-------
Sean Petty                      |INTERNET: undrground!seanp@amix.commodore.com
                                |    UUCP: uunet!cbmvax!amix!undrground!seanp
"In order to make anything from |    ICBM: 39.58.1' North  75.61.1' West
 scratch, you must first create |   50/50: seanp@undrground.UUCP
 the universe." - Carl Sagan    |          seanp@amix.commodore.com

jrd@cc.usu.edu (Joe R. Doupnik) (06/11/91)

In article <i73a41w164w@undrground.UUCP>, undrground!seanp@amix.commodore.com (Sean Petty) writes:

>  Recently I tried to use the MS-Kermit terminal that I received from the
> Computing Center of my college, to access and retrieve files from thier VM/XA
> system.  I am using MS-Kermit 3.01, and am having a rather difficult time.
>
> I can ftp the files to the University Computer OK, (I think they make it ok),
> however, when I try to send the files from the Univ. computer, to my system
> (MSDOS) they are getting mangled somehow.  That is, after I receive them on my
> home system, and try to decompress them, they won't decompress.
>
> Could someone tell me:
>

>         A)  What I am doing wrong?
>
>         B)  Where I can get a recent copy of MS-Kermit
>
>         C)  If there is a way to tell the remote host that the file it
>             is sending is binary, and not text (This may be it!)
>
>         D)  If someone could walk me through a complete session of sending
>             the files via Kermit...
>
> *****EMAIL RESPONSES PREFERRED*****
>
> Sean
>
> -------
> Sean Petty                      |INTERNET: undrground!seanp@amix.commodore.com
>                                 |    UUCP: uunet!cbmvax!amix!undrground!seanp
> "In order to make anything from |    ICBM: 39.58.1' North  75.61.1' West
>  scratch, you must first create |   50/50: seanp@undrground.UUCP
>  the universe." - Carl Sagan    |          seanp@amix.commodore.com
--------------------
Sean,
	A couple of hints. First, tell the host side SET FILE TYPE BINARY, or
it's local equivalent, before turning it into a server. Second, you need to
read the User's Manual on MS-DOS Kermit to get full benefit of the program.
That's the paperbound book "Using MS-DOS Kermit" by Christine Gianone, Digital
Press and Prentice Hall, 1990, $29. This has lots of examples and chatting
about this and many other common situtations.
	You can always get the most recent release of any offical Kermit from
the master archives at Columbia University. Do an anonymous ftp to node
watsun.cc.columbia.edu 128.59.39.2 and look in main directory "kermit". Sub
directory "a" (for the mag tape label) holds MS-DOS Kermit as files starting
with the letters MS. The current release is version 3.10 and it's accompanying
Patch file MSR310.PCH (get it).
	Joe D.