[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] Wanted: Recursive File Deletion Capability

tjmurr@hubcap.clemson.edu (Tom Murray) (06/06/91)

I need a DOS executable that will recursively delete the contents of a
directory, its subdirectories and the directory itself (you may recognize
this as the function of the Unix 'rm -r' command.)

Is such free for the taking by ftp anywhere?

Please reply directly to tom@cs.clemson.edu.

seymour@astech.tmc.edu (Ken Seymour) (06/07/91)

In article <ONEEL.91Jun6074333@heawk1.gsfc.nasa.gov> oneel@heawk1.gsfc.nasa.gov ( Bruce Oneel ) writes:
>In article <1991Jun5.203434.8397@hubcap.clemson.edu> tjmurr@hubcap.clemson.edu (Tom Murray) writes:
>
>   I need a DOS executable that will recursively delete the contents of a
>   directory, its subdirectories and the directory itself (you may recognize
>   this as the function of the Unix 'rm -r' command.)
>
>   Is such free for the taking by ftp anywhere?
>
>   Please reply directly to tom@cs.clemson.edu.
>

>Yep.  Even called rm and looks quite similar to the unix version.
>It's part of the gnuish ms-dos project (port of gnu software to
>ms-dos) and it's available on wuarchive.wustl.edu in
>mirrors/msdos/gnuish and I believe the file name is futilxx.arc.
>Quite a number of other files there as well.
>
>bruce
>--
>Bruce O'Neel              oneel@heasfs.gsfc.nasa.gov
>NASA/GSFC/STX/Code 664

I use the gnu utilities under MS-DOS.  IMHO they're great!  One
advantage that they have over some other variants (including MKS)
is that each utility (such as rm) does its own wildcard expansion.
So you can do something like:

    rm *demo.*

This morning I forgot that DOS doesn't do this right and did a

   del *demo.*

DOS, of course, knew that what I really wanted to do is

   del *.*

And asked me if I was sure.  I was still thinking *demo.* and answered
Y.  Good thing I had just backed up the directory (and had Norton's
Util.)

Ken Seymour
seymour@astech.ast.saic.com

Switching between DOS and Unix each day can be hazardous to your
mental health.  -- me

wew@naucse.cse.nau.edu (Bill Wilson) (06/10/91)

From article <1991Jun6.121345.10802@granite.ma30.bull.com>, by rivard@granite.ma30.bull.com (Dennis Rivard):
> In article <1991Jun5.203434.8397@hubcap.clemson.edu> tjmurr@hubcap.clemson.edu (Tom Murray) writes:
>
>>I need a DOS executable that will recursively delete the contents of a
>>directory, its subdirectories and the directory itself (you may recognize
>>this as the function of the Unix 'rm -r' command.)

I have a program in the anonymous ftp area of my machine called deltree
that does that.  My machine is 134.114.32.3 (fencer.ucc.nau.edu) and
is available normally from 8-5 MST Mon thru Fri.  It is in the misc
subdirectory.  The program only runs on MS/PC DOS machines.

--
Let sleeping dragons lie........                    | The RoleMancer
Bill Wilson (wew@naucse.cse.nau.edu | ucc2wew@nauvm | wilson@nauvax)

peter@atlas.abccomp.oz.au (Peter Barker) (06/11/91)

In article <1991Jun5.203434.8397@hubcap.clemson.edu> tjmurr@hubcap.clemson.edu (Tom Murray) writes:

>I need a DOS executable that will recursively delete the contents of a
>directory, its subdirectories and the directory itself (you may recognize
>this as the function of the Unix 'rm -r' command.)

Write a small assembler program (or use in-line assembler in C) to call
DOS INT 21h, fn 3Ah (remove subdirectory) with the carry flag set. I
believe this will have the effect you want. (undocumented DOS).

--
Peter Barker               |   Internet   peter@atlas.abccomp.oz.au
TurboSoft Pty Ltd          |   JANET      peter%atlas.abccomp.oz.au@uk.ac.ukc