[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] Disk Mirroring Info Sought

andy@federation.gatech.edu (Andy Register) (06/07/91)

Is anyone using disk mirroring on their PC?

How does it work?  Does it require extra hardware beyond two disks?
What about software?  Is there public domain stuff?  Who makes commercial
program for mirroring?

*Any* info will be appreciated!

Toodles
Andy

turk@vaxb.acs.unt.edu (06/07/91)

In article <30811@hydra.gatech.EDU>, andy@federation.gatech.edu (Andy Register) writes:
> Is anyone using disk mirroring on their PC?
>
> How does it work?  Does it require extra hardware beyond two disks?
> What about software?  Is there public domain stuff?  Who makes commercial
> program for mirroring?
>
> *Any* info will be appreciated!
>
> Toodles
> Andy

PCTOOLS v6.00 has mirror utility. But I have to warn you about I heard it's
full of bugs and slowest program on the surface of earth. They are about to
release a newer version though I guess.
|  Can Baytan  M.D.   (turk@vaxb.acs.unt.edu)   Bitnet: turk@untvax           |
|  University of Nort Texas, Texas College of Osteopathic Medicine            |
|  Department of Physiology.  Fort Worth, TX  76107  USA                      |
|  ( Democracy is an impossible ancient dream and a silly game in the hands   |
|    of Dirty Politicians. Support  Sciencetocracy )                          |

wer5@ellis.uchicago.edu (Will E. Rose) (06/08/91)

Before you run out and buy it, PC-Tools 6 does NOT have disk mirroring.
Disk mirroring is keeping a complete image-type copy of one drive on another;
any updates made to the primary drive are automatically made to the other, for
the sake of reliability.

PC-Tools 6 DOES have a utility CALLED "Mirror" that keeps a backup of your
directory structure and FAT stored on the disk.  It also keeps full directory
info on all the files you delete, for later recovery.  It works very well, but
it is NOT what you are looking for when you speak of disk mirroring.

--
______________________________________________________________________________  Will E. Rose
-User Support Chair                                   wer5@midway.uchicago.edu   University of Chicago Computing Organizations

pujol@snoopy.inria.fr (Jean-Pierre Pujol) (06/11/91)

In article <1991Jun7.130443.47355@vaxb.acs.unt.edu>, turk@vaxb.acs.unt.edu writes:

> PCTOOLS v6.00 has mirror utility. But I have to warn you about I heard it's
> full of bugs and slowest program on the surface of earth. They are about to
> release a newer version though I guess.

You're right !! This f.. soft may make u loose a part
of your hard disk !

So, use the 5.5 release of PcTools instead !

JP.