[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] Memory Check

simon@rain.cs.odu.edu (Michael N Simon) (06/08/91)

Does you computer ever go through the memory check when you first turn it
on? Of course it does. But for some reason mine now takes twice as long
to go through the memory check. It use to zip through the check as you
could listen to the sound of each K being verified through the speaker.
Now it is a slow process...

How can I fix it so it is a fast quick check again instead of hitting
escape each time.....

Mike ..... simon@cs.odu.edu

shutton@bronze.ucs.indiana.edu (Scott K. Hutton) (06/08/91)

In my CMOS setup, there is a setting for shadowing.  If I don't shadow
my main bios, the memory count is excruciatingly slow.  If I shadow
it, the speed is roughly double.  Try this.

  Scott K. Hutton, KA9WTR           Internet:  SHutton@UCS.Indiana.edu
  UCS Support Services                         SHutton@Bronze.UCS.Indiana.edu
  Indiana University                  Bitnet:  SHutton@IUIS, SHutton@IUBACS

ronaldm@microsoft.UUCP (Ron MEIJER) (06/13/91)

In article <1991Jun8.054149.10556@cs.odu.edu> simon@rain.cs.odu.edu (Michael N Simon) writes:

>Does you computer ever go through the memory check when you first turn it
>on? Of course it does. But for some reason mine now takes twice as long
>to go through the memory check. It use to zip through the check as you
>could listen to the sound of each K being verified through the speaker.
>Now it is a slow process...
>
>How can I fix it so it is a fast quick check again instead of hitting
>escape each time.....

Check your CMOS settings. Sounds like you got more wait-states
than before.

--
Ronald Meijer                           _   /)
ronaldm@microsoft.uucp                  \`o_O'