[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] Hard disk question

alex@altos86.Altos.COM (Alex Win) (08/02/90)

I'm having problem adding a Maxtor XT-2190 (190Mb ST-506/15 heads,
1224 cyls) hard disk to my Everex 286 AT model 1800-0 (8MHz).  I'm
using the Adaptec RLL (ACB-2370) hard disk controller and have
upgraded the system BIOS to the latest Phoenix version.

I've tried numerous BIOS setup configuration, but all I get is
"Hard disk failure".  I've installed the hard disk on a 386 AT
clone with the same Adaptec controller with no problems, so I
assume there is no problem with the hard disk or the controller.

I've spent about a week trying to solve this problem and have
experienced frustration to the max (ugh!).  I would really
appreciate any helpful advice.

Thanks in advance.

--
                         Alex Win  (alex@Altos.COM)
                           Altos Computer Systems

peter@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu (Peter Wu) (08/03/90)

In article <3779@altos86.Altos.COM> alex@altos86.Altos.COM (Alex Win) writes:
>I'm having problem adding a Maxtor XT-2190 (190Mb ST-506/15 heads,
>1224 cyls) hard disk to my Everex 286 AT model 1800-0 (8MHz).  I'm
>using the Adaptec RLL (ACB-2370) hard disk controller and have
>upgraded the system BIOS to the latest Phoenix version.

From what I heard ... only the AMI bios will allow the Adaptec
adapters to be used with "wierd" drives.  Adaptec can modify the ROM
drive table to use almost any drive but all except the AMI bios will
not allow it to.

>Thanks in advance.
>
>--
>                         Alex Win  (alex@Altos.COM)
>                           Altos Computer Systems
>                   2641 Orchard Pkwy, San Jose, CA  95134

Pedro Quien?

aslakson@cs.umn.edu (Brian Aslakson) (08/03/90)

alex@altos86.Altos.COM (Alex Win) writes:

>I'm having problem adding a Maxtor XT-2190 (190Mb ST-506/15 heads,
>1224 cyls) hard disk to my Everex 286 AT model 1800-0 (8MHz).  I'm
>using the Adaptec RLL (ACB-2370) hard disk controller and have
>upgraded the system BIOS to the latest Phoenix version.

All those heads, all those cyls....  I don't remember how many before
problems start, but you are over the number where there are problems.

On my system, the setup and the drive don't match at all, but it works
beautifully.  There is an updated Bios (Award, but not from Award, a
special version) that allows putting in parameters.
Try try try all the possiblities.  The (excellent) place I got my clone
found out what it took by trying everthing (about 40 different setups).

Ontrack Software (Eden Prairie, MN) has a very popular program whose
name eludes me that will set up whatever you want, including BIG
partitions.  I have for Seagate and Microscribe but not Maxtor.  I'm
sure they'd love to hear from you.  Hang on..., I'll 411:
Phone:  (612)937-2121(MN), BBS:  (612)937-0860, Sales:  (800) 752-1333
Product:  Disk Manager
(no known compatibility problems)
$124.95 Retail, works with any harddrive.  Try computer stores and
see if they can get it cheaper (I didn't tell the sales guy that that's
an insane price but I did ask about discounts -- forget it unless you
buy lots).  My copies are brand specific and came free with the drives.
Ask the place where you got the Maxtor if they can getcha a copy.

You can try Adaptec (# courtesy Seagate): (408)945-2450.  They're not
local, and they don't have a 1-800 number; YOU can call :-)!

Brian Aslakson
--
Macintosh related:  mac-admin@cs.umn.edu
All else:  aslakson@cs.umn.edu

UD156844@NDSUVM1.BITNET (05/21/91)

hi,,

i had a friend ask me the other day about the difference between
AT and XT hard drive kits.  is the only difference the controller
cards or are there other differences?

thanks for any help

roberto alvarez

CONS.ELF@AIDA.CSD.UU.SE (Ake Eldberg) (06/05/91)

Hi everyone.

I recently bought an IBM 386SX with a 40 megabyte hard disk.
Now, people are telling me that the PC cannot handle more
than 32 MB of hard disk space. That would mean that there are
8 MB on my hard disk which are just sitting there, unused.

Others have said that MS Windows can use those extra MB's
as a virtual memory, but I don't know how to do that.

Is thare anybody who can explain?

Ake Eldberg

gordon@osiris.cso.uiuc.edu (John Gordon) (06/05/91)

CONS.ELF@AIDA.CSD.UU.SE (Ake Eldberg) writes:

>Hi everyone.

>I recently bought an IBM 386SX with a 40 megabyte hard disk.
>Now, people are telling me that the PC cannot handle more
>than 32 MB of hard disk space. That would mean that there are
>8 MB on my hard disk which are just sitting there, unused.
>
>Others have said that MS Windows can use those extra MB's
>as a virtual memory, but I don't know how to do that.
>
>Is thare anybody who can explain?

	Yes.  If you are using a version of DOS of 3.3 or below, each drive
can only be 32 megs.  To use your 40-meg disk, you would put drive C as
32 megs, and a drive D as 8 megs.  Use FDISK to do this. (Drive D is
a logical drive.)  If you are using DOS 4.0 or above, you can have as
large a drive as you want.

---
John Gordon
Internet: gordon@osiris.cso.uiuc.edu        #include <disclaimer.h>
          gordon@cerl.cecer.army.mil       #include <clever_saying.h>

pshuang@ATHENA.MIT.EDU (06/05/91)

IBM-PC compatibles can easily handle hard disk with more than 32
megabytes of space.  However, DOS versions before 4.x could not access
more than 32Mb as a single drive letter.  Since DOS is capable of
partitioning a physical hard disk drive unit into multiple drive
letters, this was the most common solution to the 32Mb limit.  Other
solutions include tweaking around with custom versions of DOS (i.e.
Compaq's DOS 3.31) and loading device drivers.  The latter two solutions
are often incompatible with old software.

If you're running DOS 4.x (which you probably are if you bought the
system recently), you need not worry about any of this.  To verify that
you are using all the disk space that you bought, perform a "CHKDSK"
command on your drive and see if the reported total space is about forty
million.  If the reported space is about thirty-two million, try doing a
"DIR D:" and see if you have eight megabytes there.

Microsoft Windows 3.0, when running on a machine with an i386-class CPU
(including the 80386SX) is capable of creating virtual memory out of
your hard disk space.  This means that when it uses up all your real
memory in the machine to load programs and store data, and it needs
more, it can "page" parts of memory which isn't currently being used
out.  Paging is made possible by the i386's hardware support, and
essentially Windows looks at all the stuff it's storing, says to itself
"Gee, I haven't used this piece for a long time" and saves the stuff to
a disk file and frees up the memory previously occupied for other
purposes.  If later the piece that was saved is needed again, Windows
knows to reload it from the disk file.  This process makes it possible
to run programs which require more RAM than you can afford, but since
hard disks are orders of magnitude slower than RAM chips (typically a
million times slower, since access times are milliseconds rather than
nanoseconds), paging takes a heavy toll on performance.

See your Windows manual for more details about swapping (which is what
Microsoft has decided to call this process, instead of paging) and
swapfiles when in Enhanced 386 mode.  If you don't have a manual, (1)
shame on you! (2) try one of the many Windows tutorial books.

Singing off,
UNIX:/etc/ping instantiated (Ping Huang).

barnett@rex.cs.tulane.edu (Karey Barnett) (06/05/91)

In article <12690828348018@AIDA.CSD.UU.SE> CONS.ELF@AIDA.CSD.UU.SE (Ake Eldberg) writes:
>Hi everyone.
>
>I recently bought an IBM 386SX with a 40 megabyte hard disk.
>Now, people are telling me that the PC cannot handle more
>than 32 MB of hard disk space. That would mean that there are
>8 MB on my hard disk which are just sitting there, unused.
>
>Others have said that MS Windows can use those extra MB's
>as a virtual memory, but I don't know how to do that.
>
>Is thare anybody who can explain?

    Dos 4.0x (and above) can access hard drives with large (> 32mb)
    partitions.  Dos versions less than 4.0 require you to partition
    the disk up to a maximum of 32mb.  Thus, you will have 2 accessible
    drives (one 32mb big and one 8mb big).  Note:  the 8mb disk _is_
    accessible if you create a partition and format it, assuming
    Dos < 4.0x.

ralphs@seattleu.edu (Ralph Sims) (06/05/91)

pshuang@ATHENA.MIT.EDU writes:

> IBM-PC compatibles can easily handle hard disk with more than 32
> megabytes of space.  However, DOS versions before 4.x could not access
> more than 32Mb as a single drive letter.  Since DOS is capable of

Please don't tell that to my COMPAQ DOS 3.31 or I'll lost all my
partitions.  The world isn't flat.

> Compaq's DOS 3.31) and loading device drivers.  The latter two solutions
> are often incompatible with old software.

What?  I've never found ANYTHING that ran on DOS 3.xx or 4.xx that
wouldn't run under COMPAQ's 3.31.  Where DO you get your information?
--
  I got where I am today by driving through hell...
  ...in a Pinto.

9020675@ul.ie (06/08/91)

In article <12690828348018@AIDA.CSD.UU.SE>, CONS.ELF@AIDA.CSD.UU.SE (Ake Eldberg) writes:
> Hi everyone.
>
> I recently bought an IBM 386SX with a 40 megabyte hard disk.
> Now, people are telling me that the PC cannot handle more
> than 32 MB of hard disk space. That would mean that there are
> 8 MB on my hard disk which are just sitting there, unused.
>
> Others have said that MS Windows can use those extra MB's
> as a virtual memory, but I don't know how to do that.
>
> Is thare anybody who can explain?
>
> Ake Eldberg

   To the best of my knowledge (I hope I am right) dos 4.0 upwards can handle
any size of Hard Drive - my 386 has an 80 meg HD running on dos 4.01. I am
refering to MS Dos, PC dos I dont know.

  One way to check is to type : chkdsk c:

  If your machine isnt partitioned it will give you the total size of the disk
in bytes. If it is partitioned into 2 or more drives then do the same for each
part, substituting c for what ever letter the drive is...

   hope that helps !!!

  Alan

*   Alan Weadick                  *                                           *
*     University Of Limerick      *    To err is human, to really screw       *
*       Ireland.                  *                                           *
*                                 *    things up you need a computer.         *
*   E. Mail.  9020675@ul.ie       *                                           *

hawat@hawat.abg.sub.org (Andreas Kellner) (06/13/91)

9020675@ul.ie writes:

> In article <12690828348018@AIDA.CSD.UU.SE>, CONS.ELF@AIDA.CSD.UU.SE (Ake Eldb
> >
> >    [Question: How can I use the full Harddisk Memory under Dos ?]

>   One way to check is to type : chkdsk c:

Or try Hard Disk Managers like "Speedstore" or "Diskmanager".

With these Programs you can e.g. change the Partions on a formated Harddisk to
one Partition. The Partition will have the full HD Space, and I think this
works under Dos 3.1 or later.

Andy

hawat@hawat.abg.sub.org
The probably first Multi-User System in Allgaeu