[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] DOS 5, PC Tools 7

cb@tamarack12.timbuk (Chris Brewster) (06/12/91)

Does anyone (especially a beta tester) have any wisdom to offer about the new
releases of DOS and PC Tools?  Do I assume that the new PC Tools is well
tailored to the new DOS?  Should I get both upgrades?  I have a 386 and prefer
character-based programs except those that are actually for graphics.

Christopher Brewster
Cray Research Inc.
612: 683-5759
cb@cray.com

ames@reed.UUCP (S.Taimi Ames) (06/13/91)

In article <CB.91Jun11122625@tamarack12.timbuk> cb@tamarack12.timbuk (Chris Brewster) writes:

>Does anyone (especially a beta tester) have any wisdom to offer about the new
>releases of DOS and PC Tools?  Do I assume that the new PC Tools is well
>tailored to the new DOS?  Should I get both upgrades?  I have a 386 and prefer
>character-based programs except those that are actually for graphics.
>
>Christopher Brewster
>Cray Research Inc.
>612: 683-5759
>cb@cray.com

As an answer, let me say I'm running both PCT 7 and DOS 5
now.  With no problems.

As a better answer:  CPS has been a beta test site for DOS 5
and made use of it to make sure that PCT 7 will be completely
compatible.

In terms of graphics, PCT 7 was designed to have a "Windows look
and feel" which is great if you like Windows graphics.  You can
specify NOT to use the graphic fonts, however, which make it looke
more like v6.

taimi
ames@reed.edu

reisert@mast.enet.dec.com (Jim Reisert) (06/13/91)

I got  a  letter  from  CPS  yesterday  which  said they worked closely with
Microsoft  to  make  PC  Tools  the companion utilities package for DOS 5.0.
They were under non-disclosure rules until June 11.

- Jim

"The opinions expressed here in no way represent the views of Digital
 Equipment Corporation."

James J. Reisert                Internet:  reisert@mast.enet.dec.com
Digital Equipment Corp.         UUCP:      ...decwrl!mast.enet!reisert
146 Main Street			Voice:     508-493-5747
Maynard, MA  01754		FAX:       508-493-0395