[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] Dos 5.0

Aamir.Zakaria@samba.acs.unc.edu (Aamir Zakaria) (01/26/91)

To add to some of the previous comments, the new version of DOS should be out
soon, and it also loads most of itself into extended memory, freeing up about
45k.  This won't help XT users, but will help most everyone else equipped with
extended memory.  The user-interface is said to be more like Windows 3.0 than
DOS 4.0.  Some new features include a help system, a task switcher to allow
switching between programs, utilities for restoring accidentally deleted
files and for rebuilding disks, and a full-screen editor in lieu of EDLIN.
Also, it will support upcoming 2.8 MB floppies.

jzl@micasa.UUCP (Jack Z. Lupic) (01/29/91)

Aamir.Zakaria@samba.acs.unc.edu (Aamir Zakaria) writes:

> To add to some of the previous comments, the new version of DOS should be out
> soon, and it also loads most of itself into extended memory, freeing up about
> 45k.  This won't help XT users, but will help most everyone else equipped wit
> extended memory.  The user-interface is said to be more like Windows 3.0 than
> DOS 4.0.  Some new features include a help system, a task switcher to allow
> switching between programs, utilities for restoring accidentally deleted
> files and for rebuilding disks, and a full-screen editor in lieu of EDLIN.
> Also, it will support upcoming 2.8 MB floppies.

Then DOS 5.0 will dissapoint most of us since what you are describing is
already available on the market.  Speaking of the tail wagging the dog.

-----
Jack Z.  Lupic - Scarborough, Ont., Canada
{aimed,becker,blister,torag,utdoe}!micasa!jzl

mas35638@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Sleipnir) (04/17/91)

I know this was hashed a few weeks ago, but those articles are long
gone from my notes server now.  I went to IBM's "Fun Day" here at
UIUC yesterday, and ran into a guy working for Microsoft.  Remembering
that I had seen DOS 5.0 mentioned here before (and just now re:
Stacker), I said "So tell me about DOS 5.0"  He didn't even smile;
just shook his head and said no.  I went on to explain that I had
seen some references to it on this net (which he understood), and
asked why, are there betas out?  All he would say is: "I'm not
saying anything, but if Microsoft were to produce 5.0, it would
have the largest beta testing program you have ever seen."  I took
this to mean that you guys aren't bullshitting me, and that you do
have beta versions.  Comments?  Is it like the 4.0x mousey thing,
or back to 3.3 command line?  What's new?

Mike Stangel
m-stangel@uiuc.edu

chanel@mensa.usc.edu (chanel summers) (04/17/91)

In article <1991Apr16.185656.25290@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> mas35638@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Sleipnir) writes:
>I know this was hashed a few weeks ago, but those articles are long
>gone from my notes server now.  I went to IBM's "Fun Day" here at
>UIUC yesterday, and ran into a guy working for Microsoft.  Remembering
>that I had seen DOS 5.0 mentioned here before (and just now re:
>Stacker), I said "So tell me about DOS 5.0"  He didn't even smile;
>just shook his head and said no.  I went on to explain that I had
>seen some references to it on this net (which he understood), and
>asked why, are there betas out?  All he would say is: "I'm not
>saying anything, but if Microsoft were to produce 5.0, it would
>have the largest beta testing program you have ever seen."  I took
>this to mean that you guys aren't bullshitting me, and that you do
>have beta versions.  Comments?  Is it like the 4.0x mousey thing,
>or back to 3.3 command line?  What's new?
>
>Mike Stangel
>m-stangel@uiuc.edu

Mike:

All DOS 5.00 beta testers must sign a non-disclosure agreement with Microsoft
promising not to discuss any aspect of the operating system until it is
released commercially.  Therefore, I don't expect that you will learn much
until you see a copy of the system in stores.

However, it has been reported elsewhere that Microsoft just completed its
final release candidate which means that barring some really weird occurrence,
DOS 5.00 should be out in about a month or two.

According to Microsoft's publicity department, this is the information they
will allow to the public (the Microsoft rep you spoke with SHOULD have
acknowledged any and all of the following, not played coy as he did):

For more information contact:

Kathryn Hinsch
Microsoft Corporation
206/882-8080

Carrine Greason
The Waggener Group
503/245-0905

The following is information about MS-DOS version 5.0 that Microsoft has
confirmed publicly.

     o    This is the best DOS yet.

     o    There is going to be a huge beta program; MS-DOS version 5.0 exists
          in beta now.  The huge beta program is designed to help us ship a
          stable product.

     o    Microsoft is targeting a Q1 91 ship, but we do not know when the
          product will ship because it is very important that the product be
          stable.  This is really important for an operating system.

     o    MS-DOS version 5.0 has significant memory improvements, including:

               A smaller kernel that benefits even users of 8088-based personal
               computers because it will take less conventional memory.

               Support for the VCPI in the EMM386 LIM emulator program.

               Benefit Windows 3.0 users who run DOS programs because the
               memory gains are reflected in Windows' DOS virtual machines
               (VMs).

     o    Has a shell with improved size and speed over 4.0.

     o    Has additional planned features not in the first or second beta
          releases.

To confirm information or to request an interview, please do not hesitate to
contact us.

/CBG:kal

Furthermore, the following report was leaked to several systems.  Caveat:  the
information is highly questionable and suspect due to the fact that its
authenticity cannot be confirmed and also because the report was sent out
very early in the testing process.  Microsoft will NOT stand behind this
report, but you can draw your own inferences as to what IS and IS NOT accurate:

                   What will be new with DOS 5.00?

     Well, DOS 5.00 will probably be out by the end of 1990, and you
are probably anxious to know what is new.  Most people either don't
know what is new, or "can't tell you".  I'll tell you all I know (and
whatever I can make up).  Maybe I shouldn't be telling anyone, but no one
knows who I am so it doesn't matter.

                                    Anonymous User

Changes/Additions:

1.  DOS can now load itself into the first 64K of Extended memory if
    you have it.  You must have the line, "DOS=HIGH" in your config.sys
    and you must have at least 64K of extended memory available.  This
    will only work on AT machines since 8088/8086 processors can only
    address up to 1 Megabyte of memory, and Extended Memory begins at
    1 Meg.  Loading DOS high will free up quite a bit of valuable
    conventional memory.

2.  The QuickBasic interpreter is included along with GWBasic.

3.  The Shell program (DOSSHELL) has been completely changed.  It now
    resembles the "File Manager" Program that comes with Windows or
    OS/2.  DOSSHELL can be run in either graphics or text mode, in
    color or black and white.  The F1 key brings up online help.

4.  If the environment variable "TEMP" is set, DOS will use the
    directory set in "TEMP" to write temporary files for piping
    operations.  If there is no "TEMP" directory set, the current
    directory is used.

5.  If the environment variable "DIRCMD" is set, DOS uses it for
    all "DIR" commands.  For example, if "DIRCMD=/W", when you type
    "DIR", DOS would act like you typed "DIR/W" (Wide display).

6.  A short help screen is available for all DOS commands by adding
    a "/?" after the command, for example, "DIR /?" would give you
    a help screen for the DIR command.

7.  There is a utility called "DOSKEY" that is basically a command
    line editor that lets you backup through your previous DOS
    commands.  Here is the help screen for DOSKEY:

       DOSKEY [/reinstall] [/bufsize=] [/dmacs] [/dhist] [macro=text]
       /reinstall  Installs a new copy of doskey.
       /bufsize=   Specifies the size of the command buffer.
       /dmacs      Displays all macros and lets you redirect them to a file.
       /dhist      Displays all command lines stored in memory.

8.  A program called UNFORMAT is included.  It restores a hard drive
    to its condition prior to the last FORMAT command.

9.  The DIR command now reports how many bytes the files listed
    total up to.  Here is an example DIR command:

       E:\>dir

        Volume in drive E is whatever
        Directory of E:\

       WIERDOS      <DIR>     06-28-90  12:42a
       DUDE     ZIP    724409 07-26-90  10:14p
       TMP          <DIR>     07-28-90   6:32p
       IHATE-U      <DIR>     06-28-90  12:42a
       MASM     EXE    103175 07-31-87  12:00a
       STSCFG   CFG      2339 04-30-90   1:49a
       SD       INI      2497 07-13-90   2:52a
       FRECOVER DAT     50688 07-14-90   1:25a
               8 File(s)    3883108 bytes
                           21868544 bytes free

       E:\>

10.  The FORMAT command now supports 2.88 Meg 3.5" diskettes.

Here are the help screens for a few of the DOS commands:

DIR [pathname] [/p] [/w] [/a:attributes] [/o:sortorder] [/s] [/b]
    /p  Pause after each screen page of display.
    /w  List Files in columns with up to five filenames on each line.
    /a:attributes  Displays only files with the attributes you specify.
    /o:sortorder   Displays files sorted in the specified order.
    /s  Displays files in the specified directory and all subdirectories.
    /b  Lists filenames, one per line, without any file information.

FORMAT drive: [/1] [/4] [/8] [/n:sectors] [/t:tracks] [/f:size]
              [/b] [/s] [/u] [/v[:label]]
    /1  Formats a single side of a floppy disk.
    /4  Forces a high-capacity floppy drive to format a 360K Floppy-disk.
    /8  Formats eight sectors per track.
    /n  Specifies the number of sectors per track.
    /t  Specifies the number of tracks on the disk.
    /f  Specifies the size of the floppy disk to format.
    /b  Formats the disk, leaving space to copy an operating system.
    /s  Copies the operating system files.
    /u  Specifies an unconditional format for a hard disk.
    /v  Specifies the volume label.

COPY [pathname1] [pathname2] [/v] [/a] [/b]
    /v Verifies sectors written on the target disk.
    /a Copies Ascii files.
    /b Copies binary files.

BACKUP source destination [/s][/m][/a][/f:size][/d:date][/t:time][/L:pathname]
    /s Backs up subdirectories
    /m Backs up only those files that have changed since the last backup
    /a Adds backed-up files to an existing backup disk
    /d:date Backs up only files modified since the specified date
    /t:time Backs up only files modified since the specified time
    /L:pathname Creates a log entry to record the backup operation
    /f:size Formats the target backup disk

RESTORE drive1: [drive2] [pathname] [/s] [/p] [/b:date]
        [/a:date] [/e:time] [/l:time] [/m] [/n]

    /s  Restores all subdirectories.
    /p  Prompts before restoring read-only files or filed modified
        since the backup.
    /b  Restores only those files last modified on or before date.
    /a  Restores only those files last modified on or after date.
    /e  Restores only those files last modified a
    /n  Restores only those files that no longer exist on the
        target disk

MODE - Configure a device.

Device Status:     MODE [device] [/sta]
Printer port:      MODE LPTn[cols=c] [lines= l] [retry=r]
Serial port:       MODE COMm baud=b [data=d] [stop=s] [parity=p] [retry=r]
Display mode:      MODE con:[cols=m] [lines=n]
Typematic rate:    MODE con [:] [rate=r] [delay=d]
Prepare codepage:  MODE device cp prepare=((yyy) [drive:][path]filename
Select codepage:   MODE device cp select=yyy
Redirect printing: MODE LPTn[:]=COMm[:]

XCOPY pathname1 [pathname2] [/a] [/d:date] [/e] [/m] [/p] [/s] [/v] [/w]
    /a  Copy files with archive bit, but don't modify archive bit.
    /d  Copies source files modified on or after specified date.
    /e  Copies any subdirectories, even if they are empty.
    /m  Copy files with archive bit set and clear the archive bit.
    /p  Prompts before creating a new file in the target directory.
    /s  Copy directories and subdirectories, unless empty.
    /v  Verify each file as it is written to the target.
    /w  Causes xcopy to wait before it starts copying files.

     There is also a neat little program included with the beta
version of DOS 5.0 called "Microsoft Infer".  I don't know if Infer
will be included with the release version of DOS.  Infer tells lots
of useful information about your system, like: Operating System
Version, Machine type, Environment, Processor type, Memory info,
Video Adapter info, Serial/Parallel port info, disk drive info,
and much more.  Infer includes a ROM BIOS browser, memory browser,
and several other useful functions.

As I mentioned, I downloaded this file from a BBS in July of 1990.  Neither
I nor Microsoft nor (theoretically) any other beta testers can confirm or
deny any of the foregoing (except for the public information file).  Use at
your own risk, your mileage may vary.

Chanel

mvolo@uncecs.edu (Michael R. Volow) (04/23/91)

For those interested in trying DRDOS5 without paying the current mail
oorder price (street price about $120) there is a cheaper Competitive
upgrade for those who already use MSDOS or PCDOS. It cost $79 at
Babbages but perhaps may even be cheaper direct. It appears to be the
fully functional package with complete (?) documentation. I tried it
and I liked it, with a few reservations. Others have posted its
features here over the past year, so I will not repeat them. It seems
to load and execute programs slightly faster than the PCDOS 3.3 I
was using. I'll post a wish list of things it does *not* have when
this is complete.
--
Michael Volow, Psychiatry, Durham VA Med Center, Durham NC 27712
919 286 0411 Ext 6933               mvolo@ecsvax.edu

lamb@cs.widener.edu (Steve Lamb) (04/26/91)

	Hello,
    This may be a simple question so any response will help.  I just got a
copy of DOS 5.0 and I heard that it will not work on a 286.  If anyone heard
of this or knows if there is a version fo a 286 could you please let me know w
where I could get it. (ex. BBS, FPT) somthing that is shareware.
please E-Mail.
				Thanks.
--

  Steve Lamb  -  PC Network Manager   -    lamb@cs.widener.edu  (sun)
   Widener University  Chester, Pa.   -    lamb@tattoo.cs.widener.edu   (vax)

rsopicki@pro-amber.cts.com (Randy Sopicki) (06/13/91)

Dos %
Dos 5.0! I didn't know they had gotten that high.
Question, What is the difference between MS Dos and PC Dos?
----
ProLine:  rsopicki@pro-amber
Internet: rsopicki@pro-amber.cts.com
UUCP:     crash!pro-amber!rsopicki