[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] Making use of extended memory beyond 640K!! help.

amitava@ei.ecn.purdue.edu (Amitava Das) (06/11/91)

can some ibmpc-guru advise me how i could configure my ibm compatible system
with 4M RAM so that i could use memory beyond 640K. i was trying to use
some application software which couldn't run because there wasn't enough
memory. i am wondering if i could expand my memory ( i already have 4M
installed, but they are 'extended memory') so that i could run several
application programs at the same time? do i need a memory manager or
i can do that with dos. i have 80386 33MHz system with 4.01 DOS.

            thanks a lot.

                           amitava@ecn.purdue.edu

)) (06/11/91)

In article <1991Jun10.204056.11304@noose.ecn.purdue.edu> amitava@ei.ecn.purdue.edu (Amitava Das) writes:
>can some ibmpc-guru advise me how i could configure my ibm compatible system
>with 4M RAM so that i could use memory beyond 640K. i was trying to use
>some application software which couldn't run because there wasn't enough
>memory. i am wondering if i could expand my memory ( i already have 4M
>installed, but they are 'extended memory') so that i could run several
>application programs at the same time? do i need a memory manager or
>i can do that with dos. i have 80386 33MHz system with 4.01 DOS.
>
>            thanks a lot.
>
>                           amitava@ecn.purdue.edu
ME TOO!!  I am in the exact same situation.  I just bought my computer last
week and this week I intend to try to use the software ABOVE 386 to put
all my device drivers as high in memory as possible.  If anyone has advice
on this method or others, could you inform me as well?  Thanks

Terence

--
Terence Spielman       ___   __    spielman@eniac.seas.upenn.edu
 o/ --KIYAP!! |      \/ \ \_/__]        ,',',',',',',','`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`

pgy@cogsci.ed.ac.uk (Peter Yule) (06/13/91)

As far as I am aware, memory managers such as Quarterdeck's QEMM386 and
Microsoft's EMM386.SYS (bundled with Windows 3 and now DOS 5, I believe)
allow extended memory to be used as expanded memory. Quarterdeck also do
a utility called QRAM which allows device drivers etc to be loaded high,
in address space between 640KB and 1MB. You don't need to get the
Quarterdeck offerings, though, since there is a shareware equivalent
called vram/386 (I think) and hram.

--
Peter Yule         Phone: +44 31 668 4511       | University of Edinburgh
UUCP:   ...!uunet!mcvax!ukc!its63b!cogsci!pgy   | Human Communication Research

gale@virtech.uucp (Gale A. Botwick) (06/14/91)

spielman@eniac.seas.upenn.edu (Terence Spielman (WOW!)) writes:

>In article <1991Jun10.204056.11304@noose.ecn.purdue.edu> amitava@ei.ecn.purdue.edu (Amitava Das) writes:
>>can some ibmpc-guru advise me how i could configure my ibm compatible system
>>with 4M RAM so that i could use memory beyond 640K. i was trying to use
>>some application software which couldn't run because there wasn't enough
>>memory. i am wondering if i could expand my memory ( i already have 4M
>>installed, but they are 'extended memory') so that i could run several
>>application programs at the same time? do i need a memory manager or
>>i can do that with dos. i have 80386 33MHz system with 4.01 DOS.
>>
>>            thanks a lot.
>>
>>                           amitava@ecn.purdue.edu
>ME TOO!!  I am in the exact same situation.  I just bought my computer last
>week and this week I intend to try to use the software ABOVE 386 to put
>all my device drivers as high in memory as possible.  If anyone has advice
>on this method or others, could you inform me as well?  Thanks

>Terence

>>  You need to purchase or pirate a copy of QEMM-386 by Quarterdeck which
>>  will transform extended memory into expanded memory.  It also will load
>>  device drivers, TSRs, and DOS resources into high memory.  Many people
>>  have additional RAM on their PCs and can't use it because they don't
>>  have the software necessary to manage it...

>>  maker
>--
>Terence Spielman       ___   __    spielman@eniac.seas.upenn.edu
>/|___	      |     \/ o   /''''......,'   "A good education can never hurt
> <,           |    \\/     \,,,,......,     an active imagination."---Says Me
--
Gale A. Botwick			Software Engineering Resources, Inc.
uunet!virtech!gale		(703)830-5034