[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] MSDOS 5.0 Tech Ref Manual Available?

feustel@netcom.COM (David Feustel) (06/12/91)

Does anyone know whether there is/will be available a Tech Ref Manual
for MSDOS 5.0? If so, where from, when and for how much?
--
David Feustel, 1930 Curdes Ave, Fort Wayne, IN 46805, (219) 482-9631
EMAIL: feustel@netcom.com  or feustel@cvax.ipfw.indiana.edu

jcmorris@mwunix.mitre.org (Joe Morris) (06/14/91)

feustel@netcom.COM (David Feustel) writes:

>What I'm actually after is the Microsoft/IBM TDOS 5.0 Technical
>reference manual or (even better) an updated version of Undocumented
>Dos by Schuleman(sp?).

IBM's tech reference manual is due out 5 August, shipping on 16 August
(don't ask me how a product can be available but not shipping); price
is $115.

No info on the real MS-DOS flavor.

Joe

albertw@chips.com (Albert Wang) (06/15/91)

In article <91164.154112MXL4@psuvm.psu.edu> MXL4@psuvm.psu.edu writes:
>How do things like the shell, file system, etc., compare to the version
>available under IBMDOS 4.00?

The shell is much better than the Dos 4.x shell.  It has some task swapping
(not multitasking) features too.  The undelete, mirror utilities are
licensed from Central Point Software.  I wonder why Microsoft didn't
license the PC-Tools Shell, either? :)