[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] DOS 5.0 & QEMM-386 5.12

todd@pinhead.pegasus.com (Todd Ogasawara) (06/12/91)

Does anyone have any advice on how to best install MS-DOS 5.0 and
QEMM-386 5.12 together? In specific:

1. Is it safe to set DOS=HIGH,UMB in CONFIG.SYS when using QEMM instead
   of DOS 5.0's HIMEM.SYS?
2. Is it safe to use QEMM's LOADHI instead of DOS' high memory loaders?
3. Does DOSKEY have any problems with QEMM?

So far, I've played it cautious and have only installed DOS 5.0 on an
old 286 box that isn't needed for anything critical. Everything seems to
run fine on the 286 (even with OnTrack in use). However, I have yet to
load DOS 5.0 on my 386 with QEMM (currently running MS-DOS 4.01).

If anyone has any experience running MS-DOS 5.0 on a Gateway 2000 386/33
with QEMM-386, I'd appreciate hearing from you.

--
Todd Ogasawara ::: Hawaii Medical Service Association
Internet       ::: todd@pinhead.pegasus.com

bparekh@bonnie.ics.uci.edu (Behram Parekh) (06/12/91)

I'm currently running DOS 5.0 with QEMM-386 with no problems.
Don't use the DOS loadhigh, use Qemm's loadhi. Putting DOS
in High mem works fine. I haven't noticed any conflicts at all.

--
Behram Parekh                                bparekh@ics.uci.edu
Disclaimer: UCI ICS has no idea what I'm talking about, but then

sitze@nmsu.edu (Richard Sitze) (06/12/91)

>Does anyone have any advice on how to best install MS-DOS 5.0 and
>QEMM-386 5.12 together? In specific:

I've had no problems...

>1. Is it safe to set DOS=HIGH,UMB in CONFIG.SYS when using QEMM instead
>   of DOS 5.0's HIMEM.SYS?
yes

>2. Is it safe to use QEMM's LOADHI instead of DOS' high memory loaders?
I'm using DOS devicehigh=, as opposed to QEMM's.  Haven't even tried
LOADHI because I assume(d) that LOADHI will take some small minute
portion of memory to do it's work... It appeared to do that under DOS
4.01.  Someone else just posted something that says we shouldn't use
DOS devicehigh, but didn't give an explanation - I've experience no
problems (and I've been using it all day... not much perhaps, but
heavy use).

>3. Does DOSKEY have any problems with QEMM?
Haven't tried it, use 4DOS (which actually uses more memory than
COMMAND.COM!!!) because I'm use to it's methods, and prefer some of
its features.  I must admit I'm not familiar with DOSKEY other than
it's existance.

>So far, I've played it cautious and have only installed DOS 5.0 on an
>old 286 box that isn't needed for anything critical. Everything seems to
>run fine on the 286 (even with OnTrack in use). However, I have yet to
>load DOS 5.0 on my 386 with QEMM (currently running MS-DOS 4.01).
>
>If anyone has any experience running MS-DOS 5.0 on a Gateway 2000 386/33
>with QEMM-386, I'd appreciate hearing from you.
Northgate 386/33 (Elegance ?) works great !!!!

I'm a satisfied customer.. so far.

--
                            +--------------------------
                            | Richard A. Sitze
                            | sitze@nmsu.edu,    phone: (505) 646-6228
                              SH 163

bchen@wpi.WPI.EDU (Bi Chen) (06/13/91)

This is a novice question:

	I current use DOS v4.01 with QEMM386 v5.11 and Windows v3.0
and have not counter any problem so far. I wonder if I should upgrade
to DOS v5.0. Apart from the loading high of part of DOS, you folks
still use LOADHI in QEMM386 rather than that offered by DOS v5.0,
what is the advantage of DOS v5.0? Is it only becuase it has less
bugs?

Thank's

Bi

todd@pinhead.pegasus.com (Todd Ogasawara) (06/15/91)

In article <BCHEN.91Jun13090414@wpi.WPI.EDU> bchen@wpi.WPI.EDU (Bi Chen) writes:
>	I current use DOS v4.01 with QEMM386 v5.11 and Windows v3.0
>and have not counter any problem so far. I wonder if I should upgrade
>to DOS v5.0. Apart from the loading high of part of DOS, you folks
>still use LOADHI in QEMM386 rather than that offered by DOS v5.0,
>what is the advantage of DOS v5.0? Is it only becuase it has less
>bugs?

Having only used DOS 5.0 for a few days now, I think there are several
advantages it has over its predecessors.

1. efficient memory usage on 286 and 386 boxes with at least 1M RAM
2. installation "awareness" of third party programs (OnTrack, QEMM, etc.)
3. network "awareness"
4. elimination of the need for SHARE with large disk partitions
5. standardizing on PC Tools' FORMAT, UNFORMAT, UNDELETE, and MIRROR
   (as others pointed out to me :-)
6. DOS help availability for all built in commands and supplied utilities.
   (Can't remember all the FORMAT options? Just type 'format /?')
7. replacing GWBASIC with a variant of QuickBASIC (interpreter only, no
   compiler like with QB 4.5).
8. Supplying a real full screen editor (which is really QBASIC called with
   into a different configuration)
9. Smartening up DIR (finally!) so it can sort directories, etc. (Heck,
   DIR is almost as useful as UNIX' ls now).
10. And (maybe) the support of 2.88MB 3.5" drives is interesting. Too bad
   the drives and media are not cost effective yet.

From the top of my head, those are just some of the things I've found
interesting about 5.0.