[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] Help! Four questions about IDE and CMOS.

shawr@buster.cps.msu.edu (Richung Shaw) (06/15/91)

Hello,

I just bought a 200M IDE drive and controler card for my 386sx. I
have four questions that hope someone can answer.

Question #1: Can ST506 (MFM) drive co-exist with IDE drive?

Question #2: Where I can get the program to measure the disk I/O
	     rate and the benchmark of my system. Prefer from ftp site.

Question #3: Any recommendation for the IDE controlers?

Question #4: How to modify the CMOS to match my hard drive. (Award BIOS)

Thank you in advance.

rich

jca@pnet01.cts.com (John C. Archambeau) (06/16/91)

shawr@buster.cps.msu.edu (Richung Shaw) writes:
>I just bought a 200M IDE drive and controler card for my 386sx. I
>have four questions that hope someone can answer.
>
>Question #1: Can ST506 (MFM) drive co-exist with IDE drive?

If you can configure the ST412/506 controller to work off IRQ 15 and the
secondary port address.

>Question #2: Where I can get the program to measure the disk I/O
>	     rate and the benchmark of my system. Prefer from ftp site.

No, I can't sorry.

>Question #3: Any recommendation for the IDE controlers?

WD140R, WD240R or WD440R.  I'm biased towards WD since they basically
developed IDE with Compaq.

>Question #4: How to modify the CMOS to match my hard drive. (Award BIOS)

Sorry, can't help you there.  I wouldn't use the Award BIOS if you paid me.
The only two BIOS chips that I will use are AMI and Phoenix, NOTHING ELSE.

     // JCA

 /*
 ** Flames  : /dev/null                     | What to buy?
 ** ARPANET : crash!pnet01!jca@nosc.mil     | EISA or MCA?
 ** INTERNET: jca@pnet01.cts.com            | When will the bus wars end?
 ** UUCP    : {nosc ucsd hplabs!hp-sdd}!crash!pnet01!jca
 */