[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] Install MS-DOS 5.0 on PS/2 w/PC-DOS 4.01??

matt@convex.mitek.com (Matthew Lyle) (06/13/91)

Has anybody out there heard of a reason *not* to install the MS-DOS 5.0
upgrade on an IBM PS/2 running the true blue version of PC-DOS??
Matthew Lyle					     matt@convex.mitek.com
OpenConnect Systems
Carrollton (Dallas), Texas

tlee@uhunix1.uhcc.Hawaii.Edu (Timothy Lee) (06/13/91)

In article <1991Jun12.194847.28839@mips.mitek.com> matt@convex.mitek.com (Matthew Lyle) writes:
>Has anybody out there heard of a reason *not* to install the MS-DOS 5.0
>upgrade on an IBM PS/2 running the true blue version of PC-DOS??
>--
>Matthew Lyle					     matt@convex.mitek.com
>OpenConnect Systems
>Carrollton (Dallas), Texas

 I tried running the BETA version of DOS 5.0 on my MODEL 70 - 16Mhz

   and ..... It keeps BOMBING my computer whenever i try to LOAD my

   CMS external 5.25 High Density FLOPPY...with the program called

    PS2DRV.COM... It just freezes up.. It also has ALOT of other buggs

    It can't run alot of older programs...

			--tim
--
Handy Guide To Modern Science:                   |  Timothy Lee
  1.  If it's green or it wiggles, it's biology. |  tlee@uhunix.uhcc.hawaii.edu

woan@exeter.austin.ibm.com (Ronald S Woan) (06/13/91)

In article <1991Jun12.194847.28839@mips.mitek.com> matt@convex.mitek.com (Matthew Lyle) writes:
>Has anybody out there heard of a reason *not* to install the MS-DOS 5.0
>upgrade on an IBM PS/2 running the true blue version of PC-DOS??

Here are a few, though I don't believe them to be that strong. Is
there a reason for not going with PCDOS?  Anyway, the Egghead $39
(1-800-EGGHEAD for mail order) price is good for either, so cost
shouldn't be a factor:

1. Evidently PCDOS is required for RIPL from OS/2 Lan Server, if you
use this feature due to the naming of the hidden files.

2. OS/2 2.0 special upgrade is from PCDOS only. Well then again, you
still have the old PCDOS license for the version you are currently
running.

3. PCDOS upgrade makes UNINSTALL capability optional for those of you
tight on disk space and trusting in nature :-)

4. BASIC as with PCDOS versions before is smaller than that of MSDOS
due to use of ROM stubs in IBM machines, i.e. casette basic.

5. guaranteed compatibility testing with IBM hardware and direct
support from IBM including through IBMLink system.

+ Ronald S. Woan                woan@cactus.org or woan@austin.vnet.ibm.com +
+ other email addresses             Prodigy: XTCR74A Compuserve: 73530,2537 +

schuster@panix.uucp (Michael Schuster) (06/14/91)

In article <1991Jun12.194847.28839@mips.mitek.com> matt@convex.mitek.com (Matthew Lyle) writes:
>Has anybody out there heard of a reason *not* to install the MS-DOS 5.0
>upgrade on an IBM PS/2 running the true blue version of PC-DOS??

I've heard something about PC-DOS using .ADF files for Microchannel cards,
but MS-DOS doesn't. I don't have a PS/2, sorry this is so sketchy. But
the writer said that a PS/2 owner is better off with PC-DOS 5.0

--
                Mike Schuster                      |   -CIS: 70346,1745
-NY Public Access UNIX:  schuster@panix.com        |   -MCI Mail, GENIE:

jcmorris@mwunix.mitre.org (Joe Morris) (06/14/91)

schuster@panix.uucp (Michael Schuster) writes:

>In article <1991Jun12.194847.28839@mips.mitek.com> matt@convex.mitek.com (Matthew Lyle) writes:
>>Has anybody out there heard of a reason *not* to install the MS-DOS 5.0
>>upgrade on an IBM PS/2 running the true blue version of PC-DOS??

>I've heard something about PC-DOS using .ADF files for Microchannel cards,
>but MS-DOS doesn't. I don't have a PS/2, sorry this is so sketchy. But
>the writer said that a PS/2 owner is better off with PC-DOS 5.0

The .ADF files are the control files used by the Microchanel setup program
on the reference diskette to control the CMOS configuration storage.  They
have nothing to do with DOS except that the reference diskette itself runs
a special version of DOS when you boot it. .ADF files are distributed with
the original Microchannel machine reference diskette, and should be included
with any Microchannel card you buy.  The DOS you run to do interesting work
never sees a .ADF file.

I've been running a production copy of MS-DOS 5.0 for some time on a variety
of machines (Microchannel and ISA) with no problems.  All of these machines
were running PC-DOS 3.3 prior to installing the MS-DOS 5 upgrade.

Joe Morris

dch@uunet.uu.net (Dan C. Horner) (06/15/91)

>>Has anybody out there heard of a reason *not* to install the MS-DOS 5.0
>>upgrade on an IBM PS/2 running the true blue version of PC-DOS??
>
>I've heard something about PC-DOS using .ADF files for Microchannel cards,
>but MS-DOS doesn't. I don't have a PS/2, sorry this is so sketchy. But
>the writer said that a PS/2 owner is better off with PC-DOS 5.0

Just another aside... on the question of .adf files (just .adf mind you)
neither dos nor os/2 nor aix use these files... They are used by the
internal configuration program of the PS/2 (aka the Reference disk)
and then stored in some sort of memory (semistatic ROM ? I dont really
remember..) within the PS/2 until the battery dies, is removed, or the
configuration is changed...

soooooo.... I don't know about DOS 5.0 but thats the scoop on adf files...

Dan

bbesler@vela.acs.oakland.edu (Brent H. Besler) (06/17/91)

I just put MS DOS 5.0 on a PS/2 Model 80 running Windows 3.0.  I have
dos=high, umb in config.sys and am using device=high for all of my
device drivers.  Everything works normallyt as before.