[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] Bad floppies

blaise@emily.uvm.edu (Christopher Blaise) (06/16/91)

	Although I'm more than certain if someone could have figured this
one out, I wouldn't have to look far to find it, but since I can't, I'll
shoot anyway:

	Is there any way to fix those "unfixable" floppies?  Like you try to
format them but Track 0 is messed, and you're up the creek.  I've tried to
repair the diskettes with NDD, but to no avail.

	The only reason why I think there must be some way to fix it via software is because a few of these diskettes (HD) were formatted on a Mac.  I figure if the Mac's bastard system can damage a diskette for PC usage, there must be
a way to fix the "damage", either on the PC or Mac...

	Any ideas?

 Christopher Blaise - blaise@emily.uvm.edu   "I just wanna be loved...
 ]]]]]]]]]]]]]   Fido: 1:325/107	      is that so WRONG?!"

ralphs@halcyon.ogi.edu (06/17/91)

blaise@emily.uvm.edu (Christopher Blaise) writes:

> 	Is there any way to fix those "unfixable" floppies?  Like you try to
> format them but Track 0 is messed, and you're up the creek.  I've tried to
> repair the diskettes with NDD, but to no avail.

With the cost of floppies way down, it's usually easier to use them for
frisbees.  But, try using a large magnet and 'wipe' the disk with it in
varying patterns.  Then go in and attempt a re-format.  If that doesn't
work, open an invitational floppy-throwing event, media provided by the
host.

amichiel@rodan.acs.syr.edu (Allen J Michielsen) (06/17/91)

In article blaise@emily.uvm.edu (Christopher Blaise) writes:
>	Is there any way to fix those "unfixable" floppies?  Like you try to
>format them but Track 0 is messed, and you're up the creek.  I've tried to
>repair the diskettes with NDD, but to no avail.
>..I think there must be some way to fix it via software is because a few of
>these diskettes (HD) were formatted on a Mac.  I figure if the Mac's bastard
>system can damage a diskette for PC usage, there must be a way to fix the
"damage", either on the PC or Mac...

   If there really is nothing wrong, often a bulk eraser will fill the bill.
I think radio shack still sells one for about $20.
   The nature of the MAC disk format is much more forgiving in allowing things
like disk/media defects in 'the wrong' place.
   Lastly, when a mfg uses a bulk type of disk duplicator, it is quite easy
and possible to manufacture working disks with either duplicator burns or
intentional media defects.
al

--
Al. Michielsen, Mechanical & Aerospace Engineering, Syracuse University
 InterNet: amichiel@rodan.acs.syr.edu  amichiel@sunrise.acs.syr.edu

jwi@cbnewsj.att.com (Jim Winer @ AT&T, Middletown, NJ) (06/17/91)

Christopher Blaise writes:

> 	Is there any way to fix those "unfixable" floppies?  Like you try to
> format them but Track 0 is messed, and you're up the creek.  I've tried to
> repair the diskettes with NDD, but to no avail.

Use a bulk eraser on them, then try again.  A bulk eraser is actually just
a strong magnet.  The one I have looks like this from one end:

               ____
           | \|____|/  |  Bar magnet in \___/ shped steel plate to match
           |___________|  top plate and then steel case around all.

I expect that any stong magenet that covers the whole surface cold be used.

Jim Winer -- jwi@mtfme.att.com -- Opinions not represent employer.
"No, no: the purpose of language
	is to cast spells on other people ..."
					Lisa S Chabot