[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] MSDOS v5.0

bwong@beach.csulb.edu (Bradley Wong) (06/12/91)

>Egghead (in New England, don't know about the rest of the country) has
>MSDOS V5.0 in stock right now for $39. Several folks here at DEC have
>already purchased and installed it.
>I would think that other retailers will be getting stock soon.

 Egghead in Redondo Beach, CA, has it.  The "regular" price will be
 $80, the current price is $60, but if you fill out an "instant
 discount" info sheet the pirce is $40.

 CompUSA has it for $60, also.

spielman@eniac.seas.upenn.edu (Terence Spielman) (06/12/91)

I bought DOS 5.0 today and after installing it I have a question.  I have
no idea if anyone can help me but...

Before installing DOS 5.0, my system ran noticeably faster than a Compaq
386/33 (according to Norton Utilities System Info).  Now it runs only
comparably, i.e. only marginally faster.  My computer has 64K cache and
I'm beginning to think that somehow DOS is ignoring it.  As I am not too
well versed in juggling extended memory etc, I am not sure how the
64K cache is configured, is it in high memory or what?  I'm obviously
confused, can somebody help?

Terence

--
Terence Spielman       ___   __    spielman@eniac.seas.upenn.edu
 o/ --KIYAP!! |      \/ \ \_/__]        ,',',',',',',','`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`

brs@cci632.cci.com (Brian Scherer) (06/12/91)

In article <1991Jun11.201154.20073@beach.csulb.edu> bwong@beach.csulb.edu (Bradley Wong) writes:
>>Egghead (in New England, don't know about the rest of the country) has
>>MSDOS V5.0 in stock right now for $39. Several folks here at DEC have
>>already purchased and installed it.
>>I would think that other retailers will be getting stock soon.
>

> Egghead in Redondo Beach, CA, has it.  The "regular" price will be
> $80, the current price is $60, but if you fill out an "instant
> discount" info sheet the pirce is $40.
>
> CompUSA has it for $60, also.

Anyone have the telephone number for Egghead??

Brian Scherer

jcmorris@mwunix.mitre.org (Joe Morris) (06/12/91)

bwong@beach.csulb.edu (Bradley Wong) writes:

>>Egghead (in New England, don't know about the rest of the country) has
>>MSDOS V5.0 in stock right now for $39. Several folks here at DEC have
>>already purchased and installed it.
>>I would think that other retailers will be getting stock soon.

> Egghead in Redondo Beach, CA, has it.  The "regular" price will be
> $80, the current price is $60, but if you fill out an "instant
> discount" info sheet the pirce is $40.

> CompUSA has it for $60, also.

I saw the upgrade kit in WaldenSoftware yesterday, with a good demonstration
of why more math needs to be taught in this country's schools.

The "everyday discount" price on the sticker was $74.95; below that on
the computer-printed sticker was the note that "Walden Preferred Customers"
or whatever can get a 10% discount off that price, making the final cost
$71.20

When I asked about this the clerk at least didn't try to blame it on a
"computer error"; he just said that the label price was wrong and the
10% discount was correct, making the proper price $67.46 by my calculator.

As far as the product itself is concerned I've been running a production
copy for some time with only one unfixable problem.  A rather old
program from the early IBM PDS program line, File Command II (which, oddly
enough, is called FC3.COM) worked fine on the late beta versions of DOS 5
but dies a messy death under the shrink-wrap version.  (The program is
similar to the VM/CMS programs FLIST and FILELIST.)  Microsoft was
sent the offending program several weeks ago; I'm waiting for a response.

Joe

ralphs@seattleu.edu (Ralph Sims) (06/13/91)

brs@cci632.cci.com (Brian Scherer) writes:

> Anyone have the telephone number for Egghead??

1-800-EGG-HEAD.  Information like this is found by dialing 1-800-555-1212.
(Limited to United States dialing areas, I guess--maybe Canada, also).
--
  No matter where you go, there you are.  B. Banzai

mcfarlan@author.ecn.purdue.edu (McFarlan) (06/13/91)

In article <jcmorris.676743501@mwunix.mitre.org> jcmorris@mwunix.mitre.org (Joe Morris) writes:
>bwong@beach.csulb.edu (Bradley Wong) writes:
>
>>>Egghead (in New England, don't know about the rest of the country) has
>>>MSDOS V5.0 in stock right now for $39. Several folks here at DEC have
>
>> Egghead in Redondo Beach, CA, has it.  The "regular" price will be
>> $80, the current price is $60, but if you fill out an "instant
>> discount" info sheet the pirce is $40.
>
>> CompUSA has it for $60, also.

Does anyone know if the price of 39.95 after discount, is available in
the Midwest.  Preferably the Indianapolis or the St. Louis area.

I'm still running under 3.2 and would go for 5.0 for $40.

Thanks

Vernon

mcfarlan@author.ecn.purdue.edu

sccs@prls.UUCP (Source Code Control System) (06/13/91)

bwong@beach.csulb.edu (Bradley Wong) writes:
> Egghead in Redondo Beach, CA, has it.  The "regular" price will be
> $80, the current price is $60, but if you fill out an "instant
> discount" info sheet the pirce is $40.

    Same here in Sunnyvale.  What the ad did not prepare me for was the
   45 minute wait in line !  Also seemed that other items were priced
   slightly higher than ussual, nor did I care for the salemen canvassing
   the folks in line; "Did you notice this book on 5.0 sir ?  It's only
   $14.95 and has over $200 in cupons in it.", "Do you have enough diskettes
   for backing up your HD ? ", "You know, we also have the latest version
   of ..... "
     Still, it was all (hopefully) worth it.  A new OS for the price of
   an old game.

Gordon Vickers 408/991-5399     {mips | pyramid | philabs}!prls!gordon
Signetics in Sunnyvale,Ca (USA)
The world would be a better place if it were not for all the "middle men",
 hey Billy ?

sccs@prls.UUCP (Source Code Control System) (06/13/91)

brs@cci632.cci.com (Brian Scherer) writes:
_>Anyone have the telephone number for Egghead??
_>Brian Scherer

    When you let your fingers do the walking, you should be sure they are
  walking in the right place.    - new english translation of an old proverb

sammy@cbnewsd.att.com (Sammy) (06/13/91)

In article <1991Jun11.223417.30511@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu> mig@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu (Meir) writes:
>In article <23375@shlump.lkg.dec.com> donham@prarie.enet.dec.com (Progress Through Tradition) writes:
>>FYI...
>>
>>Egghead (in New England, don't know about the rest of the country) has
>>MSDOS V5.0 in stock right now for $39. Several folks here at DEC have
>>already purchased and installed it.
>>

>So!  Anybody know how it is?  Is it as good as DR-DOS 5.0?

It's terrific! I bought it this morning, and haven't installed it yet,
but have had plenty of time to look at the manual, which is almost
worth the price itself - so much easier to understand than the manual
I got when I bought my Compaq with 3.3 installed.

First off, you can have any size hard disk you want. Extended and
expanded memory are supported - DOS will install itself into himem.
There is a decent screen editor (edlin is still supported), a shell
which contains a file manager, a tree-like display of directories,
the ability to move (rather than copy and del) files, doskey - which
allows you to call up and edit previous commands (not just the last
one executed), and macros.

I'm sure I'm forgetting something, but for $40.00, you can't go wrong.
Egghead also has a special on a Que book on 5.0 for $9.95. Probably
worth it.

--
Sammy=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
The enemy of women...is not men, just as the enemy of blacks is not whites.

bangell%peruvian.utah.edu@cs.utah.edu (Bob Angell) writes:

> >The price is good by calling 1-800-EGGHEAD anywhere in the country.  You
                                ^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> The number here in the west is 1-800-344-4323.  I call the other one and they
> had disconnected it.  You can call the above from 6A to 6P Pacific time...

The last 7 digits of your number are the numeric equivalents of the
alpha representation.  In essence, both numbers are identical.

jc79+@andrew.cmu.edu (John Anthony Chanak) (06/14/91)

> Excerpts from netnews.comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc: 13-Jun-91 Re: MSDOS v5.0 Bob
> Angell@cs.utah.edu (355)

> >>Does anyone know if the price of 39.95 after discount, is available in

> >The price is good by calling 1-800-EGGHEAD anywhere in the country.  You
>                               ^^^^^^^^^^^^^

> The number here in the west is 1-800-344-4323.  I call the other one and
> they
> had disconnected it.  You can call the above from 6A to 6P Pacific
> time...

> -Bob-

Umm.... 1-800-344-4323 IS 1-800-EGG-HEAD, at least on my phone...

-John

rdippold@cancun.qualcomm.com (Ron Dippold) (06/14/91)

In article <1991Jun12.135406.15060@cci632.cci.com> brs@op632.UUCP (Brian Scherer) writes:
>Anyone have the telephone number for Egghead??

1-800-EGG-HEAD

--
Standard disclaimer applies, you legalistic hacks.     |     Ron Dippold

nina@panix.uucp (Nina Yuan) (06/14/91)

In article <3356@shodha.enet.dec.com> berenson@cookie.enet.dec.com (Hal Berenson) writes:

>In article <1991Jun12.212413.10221@noose.ecn.purdue.edu>, mcfarlan@author.ecn.purdue.edu (McFarlan) writes...
>>Does anyone know if the price of 39.95 after discount, is available in
>>the Midwest.  Preferably the Indianapolis or the St. Louis area.
>
>The price is good by calling 1-800-EGGHEAD anywhere in the country.  You
>answer the questions over the phone, and they send it to you for $39.95
>plus shipping (which varies depending on how you want it shipped).

Also, in case anyone's interested, Egghead is also offering DOS 5 bundled
with a serial Logitech MouseMan (the newest 3-button version) for $89.
DOS, mouse and Windows 3.0 runs for $159.  Bus mice are an additional $10
in both packages.

......usual disclaimers

Nina H. Yuan
Harvard College                            PANIX -- Public Access Unix of NY
yuan1@husc9.harvard.edu                    nina@panix.com

t02@clark.edu (Torry Schreiner) (06/15/91)

In article <1991Jun12.210259.559@hellgate.utah.edu> bangell%peruvian.utah.edu@cs.utah.edu (Bob Angell) writes:
>>>Does anyone know if the price of 39.95 after discount, is available in
>

>>The price is good by calling 1-800-EGGHEAD anywhere in the country.  You
>                              ^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>
>The number here in the west is 1-800-344-4323.  I call the other one and they
>had disconnected it.  You can call the above from 6A to 6P Pacific time...
>
>-Bob-

If you look on the phone 1-800-344-4323 is 1-800-EGGHEAD.  Buy a brain.

shane@inferno.peri.com (Shane Bouslough) (06/18/91)

From article <1991Jun11.223417.30511@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu>,
	mig@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu (Meir):
> So!  Anybody know how it is?  Is it as good as DR-DOS 5.0?

Seems pretty nice. DIR finally sorts, and DOSKEY is a nice attempt at
command line editing and aliases, and memory utilization seems pretty good.
Also, I haven't needed UNDELETE yet, but...

--
Periphonics Corp.  | Shane Bouslough is: shane@inferno.peri.com    Ride Bike!
4000 Veterans Hwy. |                 or: ...uunet!mcdhup!inferno!shane

grantham@super.ORG (Jon Grantham) (06/18/91)

In article <1991Jun13.044059.22347@cbnewsd.att.com> sammy@cbnewsd.att.com (Sammy) writes:
>Egghead also has a special on a Que book on 5.0 for $9.95. Probably
>worth it.
Not the evil manual from hell!!  Ok, so disclaimer, I haven't actually read
the whole manual, but it's on "Installing dos 5.0", and they were pushing it
like they were making up the money on that that they're losing by selling 5.0
so cheaply (hmm...)...  One person asked, well didn't it already come with a
manual & the Egghead guy said, well, but it's not written in "English". Yuk.
Oh, and it's 13.99 if you come back later, so of course once 90% of the users
realize they won't have any problems installing, they've already been sucked
up by Egghead's "deal".  Is this the way things work?
1) Egghead can sell things so cheap 'cause they got a deal from Microsoft
by buying bulk.

2) They're not trying to make any money off 5.0 by itself.

3) They're making money by pushing stuff you may or may not need off on you
while you're buying 5.0.

4) The "Instant Rebate" is an excuse to build up their mailing list, which
they can use in the future or sell to other companies, thus helping transfer
the former contents of the Amazon rain forest directly to your mailbox.

5)  People will come to Egghead for the cheap DOS & stay for the fabulous
whatever.

Disclaimer:  Hey, I was perfectly happy to buy 5.0 from them.  And if this
is the way they make money, great.  The only thing that I thought was overly
slimy was taking advantage of inexperienced people by telling them that they
needed the book & charging them extra if they have to come back for it.

Jon
--
JFG@ub.cc.umich.edu grantham@metropolis.super.org uunet!super!grantham
"My only response is a non-response."

jim@rwsys.lonestar.org (James Wyatt KA5VJL) (06/18/91)

akcs.hoffmann@ddsw1.MCS.COM (Robert Hoffmann) writes:
> Does anyone know if the MS-DOS 5.00 upgrade kit works on a Tandy 1000
> running the customized Tandy version of DOS 3.20?  I don't want to waste the

I don't think Tandy ever put DOS3.2 in ROM. I remember the 1000HX having DOS2.1
in rom, but the 1000SL/TL/XL/RL series all had DOS3.3 to my knowledge. I have
put DOS5.0 on the old external 15Mb drive on my 1000TL2 and set it to boot from
disk with no problems. I removed everything from the disk first, but I am not
sure I had to. I left the old dos directory intact, so it asked if it should
replace it. I said 'make a new one in \dos5' and it left the old \dos alone.

----
James Wyatt (KA5VJL) - Standard disclaimer applies...          (H)817-595-0571
{letni.lonestar.org,merch.tandy.com}!rwsys.lonestar.org!jim    (W)817-390-2864