[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] Why PC DOS 5.0 = $100 & MS 5.0 = $40

cm320a15@socrates.umd.edu (Arnie Unger) (06/18/91)

   In a mailing that I got from Egghead today, the much touted
MS-DOS 5.0 is only $40 with the instant rebate (just fill out
the required questionaire).  I guess this is an upgrade price
only?  In the same mailing they advertise the complete IBM
PC-DOS 5.0 (for purists) for $100, including the instant
rebate.
   What gives?  Is there anything included with the IBM version
that warrants such a price discrepancy?  Am I being asked to
reach down and grab my ankles one more time by IBM for buying
True Blue?  Does the MASH cast come to my house and install it
for free?  Inquiring minds want to know!

Arnie Unger (cm320a15@socrates.umd.edu)

michaelk@copper.WR.TEK.COM (Michael D. Kersenbrock) (06/18/91)

In article <1991Jun18.011419.5625@socrates.umd.edu> cm320a15@socrates.umd.edu (Arnie Unger) writes:

         In a mailing that I got from Egghead today, the much touted
      MS-DOS 5.0 is only $40 with the instant rebate (just fill out
      the required questionaire).  I guess this is an upgrade price
      only?  In the same mailing they advertise the complete IBM
      PC-DOS 5.0 (for purists) for $100, including the instant
      rebate.
         What gives?  Is there anything included with the IBM version
      that warrants such a price discrepancy?  Am I being asked to
      reach down and grab my ankles one more time by IBM for buying
      True Blue?  Does the MASH cast come to my house and install it
      for free?  Inquiring minds want to know!

      Arnie Unger (cm320a15@socrates.umd.edu)

I belive that the mailer says the the IBM DOS 5.0 *upgrade* is the same
$40 as the MSDOS upgrade.  The $100 package is the "from scratch"
NON-upgrade price.  A "NON-upgrade" MSDOS package appears not to be
currently available (at least not from Egghead).

--
Mike Kersenbrock
Tektronix Logic Analyzer Division

jcmorris@mwunix.mitre.org (Joe Morris) (06/18/91)

cm320a15@socrates.umd.edu (Arnie Unger) writes:

>   In a mailing that I got from Egghead today, the much touted
>MS-DOS 5.0 is only $40 with the instant rebate (just fill out
>the required questionaire).  I guess this is an upgrade price
>only?  In the same mailing they advertise the complete IBM
>PC-DOS 5.0 (for purists) for $100, including the instant
>rebate.
>   What gives?  Is there anything included with the IBM version
>that warrants such a price discrepancy?  Am I being asked to
>reach down and grab my ankles one more time by IBM for buying
>True Blue?  Does the MASH cast come to my house and install it
>for free?  Inquiring minds want to know!

Eh??   The flyer I got from Eggshell offered your choice of *upgrade*
kits for $40, MS-DOS or PC-DOS.  I don't recall seeing the full PC-DOS
kit listed, but $100 isn't an unreasonable price for it.

There isn't a complete MS-DOS kit on the market: you're still expected
to get the OEM version from the manufacturer of your PC.

Joe Morris

edwong@bucsf.bu.edu (Edward Wong) (06/19/91)

On 18 Jun 91 01:14:19 GMT, cm320a15@socrates.umd.edu (Arnie Unger) said:

>    In a mailing that I got from Egghead today, the much touted
> MS-DOS 5.0 is only $40 with the instant rebate (just fill out
> the required questionaire).  I guess this is an upgrade price
> only?  In the same mailing they advertise the complete IBM
> PC-DOS 5.0 (for purists) for $100, including the instant
> rebate.
>    What gives?  Is there anything included with the IBM version
> that warrants such a price discrepancy?  Am I being asked to
> reach down and grab my ankles one more time by IBM for buying
> True Blue?  Does the MASH cast come to my house and install it
> for free?  Inquiring minds want to know!

> Arnie Unger (cm320a15@socrates.umd.edu)

Maybe you forgot to put on your glasses, that is if you have one.  The
MS-DOS you see is the UPGRADE, and there is also one for IBM DOS 5.0 too.
Try to find it if you don't believe me.
--
8)
  _               _     | user's name:  Edward Wong

woan@nowhere (Ronald S Woan) (06/19/91)

In article <1991Jun18.011419.5625@socrates.umd.edu> cm320a15@socrates.umd.edu (Arnie Unger) writes:
>   In a mailing that I got from Egghead today, the much touted
>MS-DOS 5.0 is only $40 with the instant rebate (just fill out
>the required questionaire).  I guess this is an upgrade price
>only?  In the same mailing they advertise the complete IBM
>PC-DOS 5.0 (for purists) for $100, including the instant
>rebate.

Egghead sells the IBM PCDOS upgrade version for the same price as the
MSDOS version. The higher price is for the licensed IBM PCDOS,
assuming that you didn't have an earlier version/license to upgrade
from. I don't think that MS has a non upgrade version of 5.0 yet.

+ Ronald S. Woan       woan@peyote.cactus.org or woan%austin@iinus1.ibm.com +
+ other email addresses             Prodigy: XTCR74A Compuserve: 73530,2537 +