[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] DOS 5 and memory management

cb@tamarack12.timbuk (Chris Brewster) (06/18/91)

Since the new DOS has paging and task switching, I'm unclear on what is still
needed from a memory manager.  Is QEMM or MAX still useful?

Christopher Brewster
Cray Research Inc.
612: 683-5759
cb@cray.com

act@softserver.canberra.edu.au (Andrew Turner) (06/18/91)

In article <CB.91Jun17133909@tamarack12.timbuk> cb@tamarack12.timbuk (Chris Brewster) writes:

>Since the new DOS has paging and task switching, I'm unclear on what is still
>needed from a memory manager.  Is QEMM or MAX still useful?

At a pre-release presentation a Microsoft type stated that QEMM is viable and
useful under DOS 5, MAX not mentioned.  He said that although DOS 5 had the
ability to load stuff high that the features of QEMM were more sophisticated.
QEMM's optimise does all the hard work of figuring out the best fit for stuff
to load high. It seems that you have to do a little of your own figuring out
with DOS 5 - the MEM command helps with this and has new features since DOS 4.
NB That you can only load one thing into each vacant spot in upper memory.
So don't stick a 5k device driver into a 64k hole.  Another opinion given by
a more-than-happy beta tester was that he preferred to use DOS 5's memory
management features as they were all part of DOS 5 - if you get my drift.  I
suppose if you,ve paid for QEMM certainly use it, but if you don't own a copy
then certainly give DOS 5's memory management a good shake.

--
 Andrew Turner  act@csc.canberra.edu.au
	Die, v:	To stop sinning suddenly.

In article <1991Jun18.013604.22276@csc.canberra.edu.au> act@softserver.canberra.edu.au (Andrew Turner) writes:

> stuff deleted
>
>NB That you can only load one thing into each vacant spot in upper memory.
>So don't stick a 5k device driver into a 64k hole.  Another opinion given by

I got it wrong/He said the wrong thing!! :^(.
Just installed my brand new MSDOS 5.0 upgrade and found that you can put more
than one thing into a gap. Some things seem finicky like mixing devices and
exe's and sometimes when you add something new something else loads lo -
a bit of fiddling gets an acceptable mix.

--

jcmorris@mwunix.mitre.org (Joe Morris) (06/18/91)

cb@tamarack12.timbuk (Chris Brewster) writes:

>Since the new DOS has paging and task switching, I'm unclear on what is still
>needed from a memory manager.  Is QEMM or MAX still useful?

Both Microsoft and the memory manager vendors agree that what you get with
DOS 5 is about what the third-party vendors were offering four years ago
or so.  The code packaged with DOS 5 does a pretty good job of military
packing; the other vendors (QEMM, 386^max, etc) do a better job of grocery
packing.

Military packing: load up the Herky bird until the next box won't fit,
                  close the cargo door, and dispatch.  Anything which
                  didn't make it on the first pass is left behind.

Grocery packing (especially in a Volkswagen Bug): Put in all the groceries
                  which fit; if any are left over, empty the car and try
                  again until you find a combination in which every bag
                  is inside the car and there's still room for the driver.

Users who are really hurting for memory will still find the third-party
memory managers valuable, but much of their basic function is now part of
DOS.

Joe

pshuang@athena.mit.edu (Ping-Shun Huang) (06/19/91)

In article <CB.91Jun17133909@tamarack12.timbuk> cb@tamarack12.timbuk (Chris Brewster) writes:

 > Since the new DOS has paging and task switching, I'm unclear on what is
 > still needed from a memory manager.  Is QEMM or MAX still useful?

DOS 5.0 does provide task switching, but it does not provide paging;
swapping, yes, but not paging.  Remember, paging is done on a
fixed-sized small memory block basis (swapping is done on arbitrary
segment sizes), and for i386's there is hardware support in the chip for
paging 4Kb blocks, if an OS wish to implement it for virtual memory
purposes.  Neither DOS nor QEMM nor MAX will provide this kind of
utility; however, OS/2 and Windows (?) do.

--
Singing off,
UNIX:/etc/ping instantiated (Ping Huang)