[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] Northgate Omni/Plus Bounce Problem

vail@tegra.COM (Johnathan Vail) (06/17/91)

I just bought a Northgate Omnikey keyboard and find it has a problem
with keystokes bouncing.  The repeat-rate is horrendously fast too.

I bought it as a demo and only got a copy of the Ultra book which has
different settings.

Can anyone tell me what the switches on the back do?

Has anyone else had this problem?

Thanks, jv

"I'm insanely jealous of the spiders in your path" -- RH
 _____
 -----  jv@n1dxg.ampr.org {...sun!sunne ..uunet}!tegra!vail

robinson@knuth.MTSU.EDU (David Robinson) (06/19/91)

In <2397@atlas.tegra.COM> vail@tegra.COM (Johnathan Vail) writes:

>I just bought a Northgate Omnikey keyboard and find it has a problem
>with keystokes bouncing.  The repeat-rate is horrendously fast too.

>I bought it as a demo and only got a copy of the Ultra book which has
>different settings.

>Has anyone else had this problem?

We have several of the Northgate Omnikeys and experienced (I guess, from
your description) the same problem.  In our case the keyboard seemed
super-sensitive.  I could strike a key once and I would get several
keystrokes on the screen.  Sometimes, I'd hold down an arrow key for
three or five seconds and the thing would lock and would keep repeating
the arrow command until I hit the opposite arrow key.  I called
Northgate and explained that I was getting multiple spurious repeats
with a single keystroke.  The person I talked to allowed as to how this
was a known problem and that I needed a replacement controller card.
The catch is, I had to get the vendor I bought the keyboard from (we
specified the Omnikey as part of a system bid package.) to request the
new controller.  Northgate won't deal with the end user.  Fortunately,
we have a pretty good relationship with the vendor so I was able to call
'em and ask them to order the new controller cards from Northgate.  They
did, and Northgate sent them with no problem.  The new controller cards
are real easy to install (especially if you have an electric screwdriver
:-)  I sent the old controller cards back to Northgate.  Problem solved.

The DIP switches on the back have nothing to do with the problem.  Call
Northgate, or your dealer.

David Robinson                            robinson@mtsu.edu
Middle Tennessee State University
Murfreesboro, Tennessee 37132