[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] DOS5 Update Confusion

jcwasik@PacBell.COM (Joe Wasik) (06/20/91)

In article act@softserver.canberra.edu.au (Andrew Turner) writes:
>people will believe anything. I suggest the following:
>1. Read the plastic disk wrapper:
>	1. GRANT OF LICENSE - Microsoft grants you the right to use one copy
>	4. DUAL MEDIA SOFTWARE - If the SOFTWARE package contains both 3-1/2"

It's clear that the word "Update" on the DOS5 box confuses the heck out of
many people.  What exactly did MS have in mind with that?

I do know that they advertsie you can upgrade to DOS5 even if you do NOT
own an older MS-DOS release.  That is, they specifically say that you can
upgrade from DR-DOS (Digital Research).

--
Joe Wasik, Pac*Bell, 2600 Camino Ramon, Rm 4E750V, San Ramon, CA (415)823-2422
email: jcwasik@clib.PacBell.COM or [...]!pacbell!clib!jcwasik