[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] Modem TAX

reeses@milton.u.washington.edu (KGB Assassinate CIA NSA FBI secret George Bush Child Pornography Military Heroin Terrorism) (06/06/91)

In article <1991Jun6.061521.25657@sbcs.sunysb.edu> hyhuang@eeserv1.ic.sunysb.edu (Hsin-yuan Huang) writes:
>The following article is posted in news group misc.forsale. I think is
>important to act now, so I'm posting it here! For any information please
>contact the originator.

[FCC stuff deleted]

Every few months, this crops up like a bad case of herpes.  The FCC has
publicly admitted that at one time they considered this, but have also
stated that there will be nothing like this in the future.  There is no need
to swamp them with letters, depleting their expensive resources(for which we
pay).

reeses@milton.u.washington.edu   University of Washington, Seattle
"Reality is a cop-out for people who can't handle drugs"

w8sdz@rigel.acs.oakland.edu (Keith Petersen) (06/06/91)

I wish you guys would check before posting things like this modem tax
story.  The story is a fraud.  This issue was settled in 1988.

---Forwarded article:
From Pg. 6 of the Wall Street Journal for 17 March 1988.

        FCC SCRAPS PLAN TO CHARGE FOR COMPUTER
         ACCESS TO PHONE SYSTEMS, SOURCES SAY

   WASHINGTON - The Federal  Communications Commission
has quietly decided to  scrap  its plan to sharply in-
crease telephone  rates for computer users, agency and
congressional sources said.

   Last week, the agency informed  importamt lawmakers
that it wouldn't go ahead  with its plan to assess so-
called access charges of as much as $5.50 per hour per
user to hook up computer-communication networks to lo-
cal telephone systems.  An  FCC official described the
decision as a tactical move to placate opposition from
Congress and computer users.

   "They got the message loud and clear  from Congress
that this plan was a political and policy loser", said
a House  staffer who was informed of the FCC decision.

   The FCC's about-face is a big victory  for informa-
tion service companies, who  have contended that steep
access charges  would have drivem them out of business
by making  their  services  too expensive.  Currently,
computer-communications networks are exempt from those
access charges.  Computer  users  around  the  country
deluged the FCC with about 10,000 letters opposing ac-
cess fees, the most letters the agency has ever gotten
on a telephone issue.

   The decision to drop the proposal was  made  by FCC
Chairman Dennis Patrick  and the common-carrier bureau
of the  agency, the  sources said.  Mr. Patrick, whose
office wouldn't comment on the decision formally needs
the vote  of at least  one of the  agency's  other two
members to terminate a proposal.  But in  practice, he
can act unilaterally because, as chairman, he controls
which proposals can come to a vote.

   In any event, FCC Commissioner Patricia Diaz Dennis
said she supported  the  decision  to  end the access-
charge plan. "We've got a lot of things on our plate,"
she said.  That's one that would overcrowd it."

   Several agency officials described the FCC's action
as a way of  patching  up  its tattered relations with
Congress which is still fuming over the FCC's decision
to abolish the fairness doctrine.

   Last Thursday, [March 10] Rep.  Edward  Markey (D.,
Mass.), chairman of  the House telecommunications sub-
committee, said  he  would  introduce  legislation  to
kill the  access charge - even though agency officials
said they had assured the congressman's staff that the
FCC itself would kill the plan.  A Markey aide said he
was only  notified  an hour  before Rep. Markey was to
give a previously scheduled speech  on  access charges.
"We'll closely monitor the commission's future actions
to insure  that this onerous charge  doesn't re-emerge
in a new form", Rep. Markey said in  a  statement yes-
terday.

   Rep. Markey and other lawmakers  also  still oppose
Mr. Patrick's pet  plan  to radically alter regulation
of American Telephone & Telegraph Co.

   FCC and congressional sources said the agency would
proceed, but  slowly, with a separate  plan  to assess
charges of about  $4.50  per hour  per user to hook up
private telephone networks to local telephone systems.

   The FCC believes  that both computer-communications
networks and  private telephone networks aren't paying
their fair share of the cost of  local  telephone ser-
vice.  But exempting  computer-communications networks
has more  appeal  politically, because  the  users are
often consumers with  limited ability to pay increased
charges.
                   (end of article)

---Forwarded message (note the date):
Date: 03-18-88 (11:23)              Number: 2266
To  : All                           Refer#: NONE
From: Joe Hyland                    Read  : (N/A)
Subj: Letter writing does work!     Status: public message

Letter writing DOES work,  folks,  especially  in an election year.  Our
thanks go out to Matthew March for uploading this tidbit  to us.  Anyone
using  (or  thinking  about  using)  PC-Pursuit  should  be particularly
interested and happy to read this story:

Article that appeared  in the Orlando Sentinel, Thursday, March 17, 1988

Associated Press

TELEPHONE INCREASE MAY BE SPIKED
--------------------------------
   Computer user's protests made an  apparent impact on the FCC proposal
that would  substantially  increase  telephone charges  for business and
home computer users, sources said Wednesday.

   FCC chairman  Dennis R. Patrick  has  concluded that, based on strong
and nearly unanimous opposition to  the  proposal,  the  plan  should be
dropped, according to sources at the commission and on Capitol Hill.

   Commissioner  Patricia Diaz Dennis  said Patrick  had not spoken with
her about a recommendation to drop the plan,  but  she  said  she agrees
with the idea.

   "There's a lot on our plate right now, and I don't think I'd miss not
seeing that on it," she said.

   The third commissioner James Quello could not be reached for comment.
 Patrick's office had no comment on the reports.

   The commission was expected to  vote  in  two to three months to drop
the proposal.

   A decision to scrap the plan  would  be a victory for the hundreds of
thousands of computer users who dial into data bases such  as CompuServe
and QuantumLink for a variety of information services, like news stories
and financial  reports,  and  electronic communication with other users.

   Users of  those  services  flooded  the  FCC  and  Capitol  Hill with
thousands of letters opposing the plan, which would add  about  $4.50 an
hour to the cost of hooking up to information services.

   They said the increased charges, which would double the hourly hookup
price for some information services,  would  drive  many of them off the
computer networks and crush a fledgling industry.

   Rep. Edward J. Markey, D.,  Mass., chairman  of the  House Energy and
Commerce telecommunications subcommittee, said he would delay indefinit-
ely the introduction  of a bill aimed  at blocking the FCC from imposing
the access charges.

Thank-You, cards and  politi-grams to  the above  mentioned people might
help in insuring that the  present course is  followed from  now on.  If
you think these folks are doing this out of the goodness of their heart,
think  again.  These  people  are  motivated  by  one  thing  -  POPULAR
OPINION!  Let your feelings  be  known.  Write  your congressman and the
FCC.  Keep the pressure on.  Our hobby is worth it!

                                        - Joe Hyland

--------------------------------- end ----------------------------------

joltes@husc9.harvard.edu (Richard Joltes) (06/06/91)

In article <1991Jun6.061521.25657@sbcs.sunysb.edu> hyhuang@eeserv1.ic.sunysb.edu (Hsin-yuan Huang) writes:
>The following article is posted in news group misc.forsale. I think is
>important to act now, so I'm posting it here! For any information please
>contact the originator.

[message about "proposed modem tax" deleted...]

Folks, this is an URBAN MYTH and has been going around the boards and whatnot
for years now.  Several people have investigated it, and have called the FCC
and other groups involved, and there is, to my knowledge, no such legislation
in the works or under discussion.

Don't write to anyone, and please don't pass the information around to anyone
else.  We're trying to kill it, if possible.

This is more-or-less in the same league as the "dying boy wants postcards"
posting, although that one was at one time true.  BTW, if you ever see another
letter stating that a "7 year old English boy named Craig Shergold" is in the
hospital with [pick a disease]" ignore it.  It's old news, and the cards are no
longer being accepted.  In fact, the Guinness people (publishers of the Book
of World Records) have removed the "most postcards received" category from
their book.

Remember, there's no known current effort to enact a modem tax.

Thanks,

Dick Joltes					   joltes@husc9.harvard.edu
Hardware & Networking Manager, Computer Services 	joltes@husc9.bitnet
Harvard University Science Center

gavron@alpha.sunquest.com (Ehud Gavron) (06/07/91)

In article <1991Jun6.061521.25657@sbcs.sunysb.edu>,
hyhuang@eeserv1.ic.sunysb.edu (Hsin-yuan Huang) writes...

	*CRAP ABOUT MODEM TAX DELETED*

	You know, this surfaces 2-3 times a year just like mail
	to that dying boy (who is many years cured).

	It's not real.  You can't verify it.  Quit posting, reposting,
	and copying it.

	Ehud

--
Ehud Gavron        (EG76)
gavron@vesta.sunquest.com

poffen@sj.ate.slb.com (Russ Poffenberger) (06/07/91)

> [...]
>

>Dear Friends,
>
>I received the following message at a recent conference organized by
>the Southern California Regional HP Users' Group (SCRUG).  Everyone at
>the conference agreed to pass on the information verbatim.
>
>FROM:     MATT DOMSCH
>SUBJECT:  MODEM TAX
>
>A new regulation that the FCC is quietly working on will directly
>affect you as the user of a computer and modem.  The FCC proposes that
>users of modems should pay extra charges for use of the public
>telephone networks which carry their data.  In addition, computer
>network services such as Compuserve, Tymnet, & Telenet would also be
>charged as much as $6.00 per hour for use of the public telephone
>network.  These charges would very likely be passed on to the
>subscribers.  The money is to be collected and given to the telephone
>company in an effort to raise funds lost to deregulation.  Jim Eason of
>KGO newstalk radio (San Francisco, CA) commented on the proposal during
>his afternoon radio program during which he said he learned of the new
>regulation in an article in the New York Times.  Jim took the time to
>gather the addresses which are given below.
>
>What you should do:  First, take the time to download this message and
>the letter which follows.  Next, find three or more other BBS systems
>which are not carrying this message and upload this text.  Finally,
>print three copies of the letter which follows (or write your own) and
>send a signed copy to the three addresses.  It is important that you
>act now.  The bureaucrats already have it in their mind that modem
>users should subsidize the phone company and are now listening for
>public comment.  Please stand up and make it clear that we will not
>stand for government restriction on the free exchange of information.
>
>The three addresses to write to:  (a letter to send follows)
>
>Chairman
>Federal Communications Commission
>1919 M Street NW
>Washington, DC 20554
>
>Chairman
>Senate Communication Subcommittee
>SH-227 Hart Building
>Washington, DC 20510
>
>Chairman
>House Telecommunication Subcommittee
>B-331 Rayburn Building
>Washington, DC 20515
>
>Dear Sir:
>
>Please allow me to express my displeasure with the FCC proposal which
>would authorize a surcharge for the use of modems on the public
>telephone network.  This regulation is nothing less than an attempt to
>restrict the free exchange of information among the growing number of
>computer users.  Calls placed using modems require no special telephone
>company equipment, and users of modems pay the phone company for use of
>the network in the form of a monthly bill.
>In short, a modem call is the same as a voice call and therefore should
>not be subject to any additional regulation.

NOT AGAIN!!!

This is the umpteenth time this s**t has been posted. This is a false rumor
that is literally YEARS old. Please stop posting this crap!!

MXL4@psuvm.psu.edu (06/10/91)

This is also a favorite periodic chestnut on alt.folklore.urban--right up there
with the real, but no-longer-dying-or-in-need-of-postcards Craig Shergold.

                             Mostly THE BEAR

aka MXL4@PSUVM <Mark Lafer>                   ()      ()
                                                 o . o
Not a By-product of Any Technology!               xxx

kabra437@athenanet.com (Ken Abrams) (06/12/91)

In article <1991Jun6.061521.25657@sbcs.sunysb.edu> hyhuang@eeserv1.ic.sunysb.edu (Hsin-yuan Huang) writes:
>The following article is posted in news group misc.forsale. I think is
>important to act now, so I'm posting it here! For any information please
>contact the originator.

>From sbcs!cmcl2!hsdndev!wuarchive!sdd.hp.com!caen!uwm.edu!psuvax1!news Thu Jun 06 02:04:46 EDT 1991
>Article: 34511 of misc.forsale
>From: colin@math.psu.edu (colin haase)
>Newsgroups: psu.general,psu.forsale,misc.forsale
>Subject: believe it or not MODEM TAX !!!!!
>Date: 3 Jun 91 16:28:52 GMT
>Sender: news@cs.psu.edu (Usenet)
>

>Dear Friends,
>
>I received the following message at a recent conference organized by
>the Southern California Regional HP Users' Group (SCRUG).  Everyone at
>the conference agreed to pass on the information verbatim.
>
>FROM:     MATT DOMSCH
>SUBJECT:  MODEM TAX
>
>A new regulation that the FCC is quietly working on will directly
>affect you as the user of a computer and modem.  The FCC proposes that
>users of modems should pay extra charges for use of the public
>telephone networks which carry their data.  In addition, computer
>network services such as Compuserve, Tymnet, & Telenet would also be
>charged as much as $6.00 per hour for use of the public telephone

My God, why is SO MUCH old news being recirculated lately?  We need to
come up with a new term to cover this; urban legand or urban myth just
doesn't do justice to the situation.

One of my favorite quotes of late is " The beginning of evil is goodness
in excess." and it certainly applies here.  Enough well meaning people
are circulating this proposal that died about 5 years ago that it certainly
should qualify as EVIL by now.

I will send mail to the author here but it is important enough to repeat
on the net over and over again.  THIS INFORMATION CONTAINED IN THE QUOTED
MESSAGE IS JUST NOT TRUE.  This proposal died in the FCC YEARS ago and
anyone who now circulates it as though it was current is acting
irresponsibly, in my opinion.

Please, if you really want to do a good deed, stamp out this message
wherever you find it.  If you are in doubt as to what I am saying,
please feel free to call the FCC to verify.  Be advised, however, that
they might be a little steamed since they are very tired of getting
letters and phone calls about this.

Ken Abrams                     uunet!pallas!kabra437
Illinois Bell                  kabra437@athenanet.com
Springfield                    (voice) 217-753-7965

goldstein@delni.enet.dec.com (Fred R. Goldstein) (06/20/91)

In article <285ad3fc-23cc.10ibmpc-1@oldcolo.UUCP>, burger@oldcolo.UUCP (Keith Hamburger) writes...
>I'm not sure how evil these people really are.  If this results in more people
>contacting the government and telling them that we do not want any interference
>in our lives and that the market should suffice then I think that it just may
>do some good.  We should all remember that taxes are seldom (never) passed for
>the benefit of the taxed and laws are seldom (never) passed for the benefit of
>hose being restricted.

You miss the point.  In your effort to apply anti-tax ideology, you
forget that
THERE NEVER WAS A PROPOSAL FOR A MODEM TAX.  PERIOD.

What there was, ca. 1987 (and very, very dead now) was a proposal to
change the way telephone companies define end-users vs. service
providers.  AT&T Communications, MCI and Sprint are service providers,
and pay a different rate to Mountain Bell et al than you and I do;
this gets reflected in toll bills which are higher as a result.  Ma
Bell, a government-regulated entity, wanted to charge information
providers a higher rate than end users, and their definitions would
have made many modem users (not all) subject to the higher rate.

Uncle Sam wouldn't have seen a penny.  Mountain Bell would have seen
most of it, going to subsidize ranch telephones in Wyoming and Montana.
You have to understand the way the phone industry works for the
details to make sense; it's very confusing.

The network rumor mill got out of control, and the undead story just
doesn't like to stay dead, where it belongs.
---
Fred R. Goldstein              Digital Equipment Corp., Littleton MA
goldstein@delni.enet.dec.com   voice: +1 508 952 3274
 Do you think anyone else on the planet would share my opinions, let
 alone a multi-billion dollar corporation?