[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] Ghostscript 2.2 at SIMTEL20 doesn't work

<HOMH@QUCDN.QueensU.CA> (06/16/91)

I down loaded Ghostscript 2.2 from SIMTEL20 on Friday. I tested it with my SVGA
monitor and an LQ800 compatible printer and it worked fine. May be you can des-
ribe the error a bit more specific. Note that GS22.ZIP only provides the UGLY
font so that GS22 will complain but it will run. You can get other *.GSF files
from various ftp sites.

HOMH@QUCDN.QueensU.CA

gened@techbook.com (Gene Daniel) (06/17/91)

HOMH@QUCDN.QueensU.CA writes:

>I down loaded Ghostscript 2.2 from SIMTEL20 on Friday. I tested it with my SVGA
>monitor and an LQ800 compatible printer and it worked fine. May be you can des-
>ribe the error a bit more specific. Note that GS22.ZIP only provides the UGLY
>font so that GS22 will complain but it will run. You can get other *.GSF files
>from various ftp sites.

>HOMH@QUCDN.QueensU.CA

I glad to see that it seems to work for the LQ800 printer, however, I can't
get it to work on my Epson FX-286 printer. Many other graphic programs output
graphics to this printer and I have never had any problems. I get nothing but
garbage characters on the printer. It's almost like it doesn't get into
graphics mode. Has anyone got Ghostscript to work on an FX-286? Any help
would be appreciated.

						- Gene

--
gened@techbook.COM  ...!{tektronix!nosun,uunet}techbook!gened
Public Access UNIX at (503) 644-8135 (1200/2400) Voice: +1 503 646-8257

cdlee@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu (Chan-Do Lee) (06/18/91)

gened@techbook.com (Gene Daniel) writes:

>HOMH@QUCDN.QueensU.CA writes:

>>I down loaded Ghostscript 2.2 from SIMTEL20 on Friday. I tested it
>>with my SVGA monitor and an LQ800 compatible printer and it worked
>>fine.

>I glad to see that it seems to work for the LQ800 printer, however, I can't
>get it to work on my Epson FX-286 printer. Many other graphic programs output
>graphics to this printer and I have never had any problems. I get nothing but
>garbage characters on the printer. It's almost like it doesn't get into
>graphics mode. Has anyone got Ghostscript to work on an FX-286? Any help
>would be appreciated.

I cannot get it to work on my Epson LQ-510, either. It seems that it
has problems with horizontal spacing. For example, a rectangle with
letters in it comes out something like:

		-----
		| |
		| a|
		| ab |
		_____

rather than
		-----
		|    |
		| a  |
		| ab |
		_____

Has anyone got it to work on an LQ-510?

jansteen@cwi.nl (Jan van der Steen) (06/18/91)

cdlee@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu (Chan-Do Lee) writes:

>gened@techbook.com (Gene Daniel) writes:

>>HOMH@QUCDN.QueensU.CA writes:

>>>I down loaded Ghostscript 2.2 from SIMTEL20 on Friday. I tested it
>>>with my SVGA monitor and an LQ800 compatible printer and it worked
>>>fine.

>I cannot get it to work on my Epson LQ-510, either. It seems that it
>has problems with horizontal spacing. For example, a rectangle with
>letters in it comes out something like:
>
>		-----
>		| |
>		| a|
>		| ab |
>		_____
>
>rather than
>		-----
>		|    |
>		| a  |
>		| ab |
>		_____

>Has anyone got it to work on an LQ-510?

I noticed in "gdevepsn.c" that the Espon printer codes used for
both horizontal and vertical positioning have been changed since
ghostscript version 2.1.1.

They used to set the linefeed and change the vertical position
with a <lf>. Now the "<esc>Jn" escape sequence is used.

The horizontal positioning used to be done by setting tabs.
Now, "dot tabs" are used:

	    /* Tab over to the appropriate position.  */
	    /* Relative tabs work in half-dots. */
	    tab *= 2;
	    fputc(033, prn_stream);
	    fputc('\\', prn_stream);        /* dot tab */
	    fputc(tab & 0xff, prn_stream);
	    fputc(tab >> 8, prn_stream);

So, it will go to the correct horizontal position by means of:

	"<esc>\<n1><n2>"

This control sequence was not in my Epson clone manual (I have
a Nakajima printer). So, maybe that's your problem too.

	Jan van der Steen

     Jan van der Steen                 jansteen@cwi.nl
     Centre for Mathematics and Computer Science (CWI)

tom@dvnspc1.Dev.Unisys.COM (Tom Albrecht) (06/18/91)

In article <1991Jun17.062936.26011@techbook.com> gened@techbook.com (Gene Daniel) writes:

>I glad to see that it seems to work for the LQ800 printer, however, I can't
>get it to work on my Epson FX-286 printer. Many other graphic programs output

And I can't get it to work with my EX-800.  Just prints a lot of junk and
linefeeds.  Does anyone know whether the Epson driver in gs is compatible
with the EX series?

Also, would the authors PLEASE put back the ability to send espon output
to a file?  We don't always run gs on a system with a printer directly
attached.

--
Tom Albrecht

w8sdz@rigel.acs.oakland.edu (Keith Petersen) (06/20/91)

Ghostscript 2.2 was uploaded to SIMTEL20 by:

   nate@neutron.lcs.mit.edu (Nate Liskov)

PLEASE correspond with him via e-mail instead of posting to the world.
He wants to help but is unable to post to Usenet news.  He asked me
to let you know that he's willing to help but you have to use e-mail
to contact him.

If you don't know how to use e-mail, press the "r" key now.  I have
set the "Reply-To:" address in this posting to point to his address.

Keith
--
Keith Petersen
Maintainer of the MSDOS, MISC and CP/M archives at SIMTEL20 [192.88.110.20]