[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] Ghostscript 2.2 and Epson Printers

cdlee@swell.cs.indiana.edu (Chan-Do Lee) (06/19/91)

tom@dvnspc1.Dev.Unisys.COM (Tom Albrecht) writes

brian@nsc.nsc.com (Brian Marley) writes

jansteen@cwi.nl (Jan van der Steen) writes:
>I noticed in "gdevepsn.c" that the Espon printer codes used for
>both horizontal and vertical positioning have been changed since
>ghostscript version 2.1.1.
>They used to set the linefeed and change the vertical position
>with a <lf>. Now the "<esc>Jn" escape sequence is used.
>The horizontal positioning used to be done by setting tabs.
>Now, "dot tabs" are used:
>	    /* Tab over to the appropriate position.  */
>	    /* Relative tabs work in half-dots. */
>	    tab *= 2;
>	    fputc(033, prn_stream);
>	    fputc('\\', prn_stream);        /* dot tab */
>	    fputc(tab & 0xff, prn_stream);
>	    fputc(tab >> 8, prn_stream);
>So, it will go to the correct horizontal position by means of:
>	"<esc>\<n1><n2>"

I tried to print golfer.ps with gsherc.exe in gs211a.zip. It printed
out O.K. without the ragged right border problem. As Jan van der Steen
suggests, problems of printing on various Epson printers might be due
to the changes for horizontal and vertical positioning.

w8sdz@rigel.acs.oakland.edu (Keith Petersen) (06/20/91)

Ghostscript 2.2 was uploaded to SIMTEL20 by:

   nate@neutron.lcs.mit.edu (Nate Liskov)

PLEASE correspond with him via e-mail instead of posting to the world.
He wants to help but is unable to post to Usenet news.  He asked me
to let you know that he's willing to help but you have to use e-mail
to contact him.

If you don't know how to use e-mail, press the "r" key now.  I have
set the "Reply-To:" address in this posting to point to his address.

Keith
--
Keith Petersen
Maintainer of the MSDOS, MISC and CP/M archives at SIMTEL20 [192.88.110.20]