[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] PC-DOS 5.0??

ericf@seer.UUCP (Eric Findley) (06/16/91)

 I was wondering if there is PC-DOS 5.0??  I'd really like to get a hold
of it...PC-DOS 3.3 is getting boring.  Besides, I gotta keep up with
the times.

  And another question.  I have RBBS v17.3b.  I want to put an ANSI
graphic intro screen on my bbs.  Now, does anyone have any suggestions
on how I can go about this?  Is there a special drawing program I have
to use, or a converter program somewhere??  Any help is DEFINITELY
APPRECIATED!

  Thanks in advance...

-Eric Findley
ericf@seer.mystic.com

In article <887@seer.UUCP> ericf@seer.UUCP (Eric Findley) writes:

|  I was wondering if there is PC-DOS 5.0??  I'd really like to get a hold
| of it...PC-DOS 3.3 is getting boring.  Besides, I gotta keep up with
| the times.

  Yes, I got a copy from IBM at a meeting on June 12, just copies of
the disks and a xerox of the man pages. I also have MS-DOS 5.0. Since
the MS-DOS upgrade is $39.95 from Egghead ($59.95 less $20 instant
rebate) you can afford it. I haven't installed the PC-DOS version yet,
but the MS-DOS is great so far. I should post a review in a separate
message, so don't look for it here.

    sysop *IX BBS and Public Access UNIX

edwong@bucsf.bu.edu (Edward Wong) (06/19/91)

Yes, it's now IBM DOS 5.0.  There are two different pakages available at
Egghead.  Since you already got dos 3.3, you can just buy the IBM DOS 5.0
upgrade for $39.99.  But you can buy the whole pakage for $99.99.  By the
way, I think you must have an IBM brand PC to run the dos.
--
8)
  _               _     | user's name:  Edward Wong

smg@bezier.eedsp.gatech.edu (Stephen McGrath) (06/19/91)

In article <4105@sixhub.UUCP> davidsen@sixhub.UUCP (bill davidsen) writes:
>In article <887@seer.UUCP> ericf@seer.UUCP (Eric Findley) writes:
>|
>|  I was wondering if there is PC-DOS 5.0??  I'd really like to get a hold
>| of it...PC-DOS 3.3 is getting boring.  Besides, I gotta keep up with
>| the times.
>
>  Yes, I got a copy from IBM at a meeting on June 12, just copies of
>the disks and a xerox of the man pages. I also have MS-DOS 5.0. Since
>the MS-DOS upgrade is $39.95 from Egghead ($59.95 less $20 instant
>rebate) you can afford it. I haven't installed the PC-DOS version yet,
>but the MS-DOS is great so far. I should post a review in a separate
>message, so don't look for it here.

I have seen PC-DOS 5.0 upgrades in several stores. Egghead has it, and I
`overheard a salesman tell a customer that it was the same deal as MS-DOS.
($79 normally, on sale for $59, less $20 instant rebate = $39).

-Stephen

--
Stephen McGrath
Georgia Tech, School of EE, DSP Lab, Atlanta, GA  30332

seitz@netcom.COM (Matthew Seitz) (06/19/91)

In article <EDWONG.91Jun18140702@bucsf.bu.edu> edwong@bucsf.bu.edu writes:
>By the way, I think you must have an IBM brand PC to run the [IBM PC-]dos
>[5.0].

This would be new to version 5.0 if true.  Can anyone confirm this?

--
					Matthew Seitz
					seitz@netcom.com

ralphs@halcyon.ogi.edu (06/19/91)

edwong@bucsf.bu.edu (Edward Wong) writes:

> upgrade for $39.99.  But you can buy the whole pakage for $99.99.  By the
> way, I think you must have an IBM brand PC to run the dos.

IBM would like you to think so.  It would be interesting to know if
there's a new operating system in the 'complete' 5.0 package, or if
it's 3.?? re-released.  It would appear that the 'upgrade' is not much
more than a user shell and command.com replacement, with a few extra
goodies to flesh out a few disks.

luis@mavrick.UUCP (luis basto) (06/20/91)

seitz@netcom.COM (Matthew Seitz) writes:
> In article <EDWONG.91Jun18140702@bucsf.bu.edu> edwong@bucsf.bu.edu writes:
> >By the way, I think you must have an IBM brand PC to run the [IBM PC-]dos
> >[5.0].

As in previous versions of PC-DOS vs MS-DOS, the major difference is the
BASIC.  In 5.0, QBASIC, and the new screen EDITor (which actually uses the
same screen layout as QBASIC), will only run on true IBM PCs if you buy
the PC-DOS version.  The Microsoft version would run on most clones.

Luis
...!cs.utexas.edu!mavrick!luis

U39648@uicvm.uic.edu (From The Mind Of) (06/20/91)

>By the way, I think you must have an IBM brand PC to run the dos.

Nope, very untrue.  Most clones should be able to run IBM DOS 5.0
on their systems.

However, IBM recommends it only be run on IBM systems, and IBM
will only support it on IBM systems.

- Darius
   BITNET: U39648@UICVM             | "I'd rather laugh with the sinners
 Internet: u39648@uicvm.uic.edu     |         than cry with the saints,
====================================|  the sinners are much more fun,
  "Don't set fire to strangers."    |  and only the good die young."
  - Mr. Zarniwoop                   |  - Billy Joel