[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] MS-DOS 5.0: Where the @*%! is loadhigh?

echuang@ocf.berkeley.edu (Ernest Chuang) (06/20/91)

This must be a stupid question, considering the volume of traffic lately
concerning the "loadhigh" command, but where the hell is it?!?  I've
just installed MS-DOS 5.0, and it doesn't recognize the command.  It's not
in the DOS directory; it's not on any of the original disks; and it's not
even in the PACKING.LST.  The closest filename I could find was loadfix.com,
but the description of it that I get from "loadfix /?" doesn't quite seem
to fit the bill.  Am I just being dense here?  Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

- Ernest Chuang
  echuang@ocf.berkeley.edu

echuang@plague.Berkeley.EDU (Ernest Chuang) (06/20/91)

Oops...I just checked the manual again and realized it was an internal
command, so it shouldn't be on the disks; but still, it doesn't seem
to recognize either "loadhigh" or "lh" ("devicehigh" works just fine).
Has anyone else had this problem?

- Ernest
  echuang@ocf.berkeley.edu

reisert@mast.enet.dec.com (Jim Reisert) (06/21/91)

In article <1991Jun20.090306.25375@agate.berkeley.edu>,
	echuang@plague.Berkeley.EDU (Ernest Chuang) writes...

>Oops...I just checked the manual again and realized it was an internal
>command, so it shouldn't be on the disks; but still, it doesn't seem
>to recognize either "loadhigh" or "lh" ("devicehigh" works just fine).
>Has anyone else had this problem?

Are you sure you're running the COMMAND.COM that came with DOS 5.0 (and not
4DOS, for example)?  If you are using 4DOS, you can use the command:

	command /c loadhigh <your program here>

to use DOS's LOADHIGH command

- Jim

"The opinions expressed here in no way represent the views of Digital
 Equipment Corporation."

James J. Reisert                Internet:  reisert@mast.enet.dec.com
Digital Equipment Corp.         UUCP:      ...decwrl!mast.enet!reisert
146 Main Street			Voice:     508-493-5747
Maynard, MA  01754		FAX:       508-493-0395

echuang@plague.Berkeley.EDU (Ernest Chuang) (06/21/91)

In article <23721@shlump.lkg.dec.com> reisert@mast.enet.dec.com (Jim Reisert) writes:

>In article <1991Jun20.090306.25375@agate.berkeley.edu>,
>	echuang@plague.Berkeley.EDU (Ernest Chuang) writes...
>>
>>Oops...I just checked the manual again and realized it was an internal
>>command, so it shouldn't be on the disks; but still, it doesn't seem
>>to recognize either "loadhigh" or "lh" ("devicehigh" works just fine).
>>Has anyone else had this problem?
>
>Are you sure you're running the COMMAND.COM that came with DOS 5.0 (and not
>4DOS, for example)?  If you are using 4DOS, you can use the command:
>
>	command /c loadhigh <your program here>
>
>to use DOS's LOADHIGH command
>
>- Jim

Thanks!  I am using 4DOS, so this was the problem.  But as a follow-up
question, what's the proper syntax for using "loadhigh" in conjunction
with "install" in the config.sys (specifically for Fastopen)?  The above
suggested line works fine in my autoexec.bat, but when I try:

	install=command.com /c loadhigh c:\dos\fastopen.exe c:=(150,150)

I get the boot-up message "Fastopen installed.  Error in config.sys line 8"
which is the above line.  (I don't get the error when I remove that line).
It *does* load fastopen into the UMB according to mem /c, but it's kind of
irritating to get that error message every time I reboot.  I've tried a few
minor variations such as removing the extensions .com and .exe, removing
the /c switch, and just doing a straight install=loadhigh c:\dos..., but
they all give me outright errors and don't load Fastopen successfully.
(Obviously I'm just going by trial and error, but I can't seem to find the
answer in the manual :-)  Can anyone see my mistake?

	- Ernest
	  echuang@ocf.berkeley.edu