[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] PC Tools PCFORMAT & DOS 5.0

todd@pinhead.pegasus.com (Todd Ogasawara) (06/14/91)

In article <1991Jun11.215901.22013@pinhead.pegasus.com> todd@pinhead.pegasus.com (Todd Ogasawara) writes:
>Does anyone have any advice on how to best install MS-DOS 5.0 and
>QEMM-386 5.12 together? In specific:
>
>1. Is it safe to set DOS=HIGH,UMB in CONFIG.SYS when using QEMM instead
>   of DOS 5.0's HIMEM.SYS?
>2. Is it safe to use QEMM's LOADHI instead of DOS' high memory loaders?
>3. Does DOSKEY have any problems with QEMM?

Thanks to everyone who response via e-mail to my net-query. I loaded DOS
5.0 on my Gateway 386/33 last night.

The answers to my questions are:
1. If you have QEMM-386, don't place DOS=HIGH,UMB in CONFIG.SYS. DOS=HIGH
   sufficient. Let QEMM load the drivers and other programs into high
   memory. This has worked out fine on my system. I have 622K of base RAM
   free now. DOS was also "smart" enough NOT to install HIMEM.SYS in my
   CONFIG.SYS since I already had QEMM386.SYS in there.
2. Yes, QEMM's LOADHI works fine under DOS 5.0.
3. DOSKEY seems to work fine with QEMM running.

I have run into one problem though. PC Tools 6.0 PCFORMAT does not work
under DOS 5.0. It reports "Wrong DOS version" when I try to run it. Does
anyone know if PCFORMAT in PC Tools 7.0 works under DOS 5.0? I am still
waiting for my upgrade to arrive. Other PC Tools 6.0 software seems to work
ok though (including COMPRESS).

--
Todd Ogasawara ::: Hawaii Medical Service Association
Internet       ::: todd@pinhead.pegasus.com

granoff@vaxwrk.enet.dec.com (Mark H. Granoff) (06/14/91)

In article <1991Jun13.173116.143@pinhead.pegasus.com>, todd@pinhead.pegasus.com (Todd Ogasawara) writes:
>I have run into one problem though. PC Tools 6.0 PCFORMAT does not work
>under DOS 5.0. It reports "Wrong DOS version" when I try to run it. Does
>anyone know if PCFORMAT in PC Tools 7.0 works under DOS 5.0? I am still
>waiting for my upgrade to arrive. Other PC Tools 6.0 software seems to work
>ok though (including COMPRESS).

Did you try SETVER PCFORMAT.EXE x.yy where x.yy is your previous version of
DOS?

Mark H. Granoff   |    Enterprise Integration Services/Engineering VAXworks
Digital Equipment Corporation | Internet: granoff@vaxwrk.enet.dec.com
129 Parker Street             | Usenet  : ...!decwrl!vaxwrk.enet!granoff
PKO2-1/M21                    | AT&T    : +1 508 493 4512
Maynard, MA 01754             | FAX     : +1 508 493 2240
Opinions herein are my own and do not necessarily reflect those of Digital.

reisert@mast.enet.dec.com (Jim Reisert) (06/14/91)

In article <1991Jun13.173116.143@pinhead.pegasus.com>, Todd Ogasawara writes:

>Does anyone know if PCFORMAT in PC Tools 7.0 works under DOS 5.0?

It better! Central Point Software provided the MIRROR, UNDELETE and UNFORMAT
programs to Microsoft - they better have gotten their own FORMAT right for
version 7.  In fact, DOS 5.0 probably *HAS* the format from PC tools,
otherwise, the UNFORMAT stuff just wouldn't work.

- Jim

"The opinions expressed here in no way represent the views of Digital
 Equipment Corporation."

James J. Reisert                Internet:  reisert@mast.enet.dec.com
Digital Equipment Corp.         UUCP:      ...decwrl!mast.enet!reisert
146 Main Street			Voice:     508-493-5747
Maynard, MA  01754		FAX:       508-493-0395

rschmidt@copper.ucs.indiana.edu (roy schmidt) (06/14/91)

todd@pinhead.pegasus.com (Todd Ogasawara) writes:

[comments here on qemm deleted]

>I have run into one problem though. PC Tools 6.0 PCFORMAT does not work
>under DOS 5.0. It reports "Wrong DOS version" when I try to run it. Does
>anyone know if PCFORMAT in PC Tools 7.0 works under DOS 5.0? I am still
>waiting for my upgrade to arrive. Other PC Tools 6.0 software seems to work
>ok though (including COMPRESS).

And little wonder!  I just received a flyer from Central Point
announcing a cross-licensing agreement with Microsoft.  MS is using CP's
undelete, unformat, mirror, and format programs, and CP gets to use the
"MS-DOS 5.0 look and feel" in their PC-Tools version 7.0!

So if you want to use PC-FORMAT version 7.0, just use the format.com
that came with your DOS 5.0 -- it's the same!

Now I wonder if they managed to make PC-Cache work with Win3.0?

And just what is a DOS 5.0 look and feel?  Maybe we should ask Lotus for
an interpretation. :-)

Roy Schmidt                 |  #include <disclaimer.h>
Indiana University          |  /* They are _my_ thoughts, and you can't
Graduate School of Business |     have them, so there!  */

ins845b@monu4.cc.monash.edu.au (mr k.l. lentin) (06/14/91)

In article <1991Jun13.173116.143@pinhead.pegasus.com> todd@pinhead.pegasus.com (Todd Ogasawara) writes:

>I have run into one problem though. PC Tools 6.0 PCFORMAT does not work
>under DOS 5.0. It reports "Wrong DOS version" when I try to run it. Does
>anyone know if PCFORMAT in PC Tools 7.0 works under DOS 5.0? I am still
>waiting for my upgrade to arrive. Other PC Tools 6.0 software seems to work
>ok though (including COMPRESS).
>
>--

have a look at the SETVER command. It will change the version of dos that
the interrupt returns which will make pctools think its in the version you
want it. The version can be set for each program you run. The manual says
that you should try this first and contact the manufacturers to see if they
plan an upgrade.

--
-----------------------------------------+----------------------------------
|\evin (ins845b@monu3.cc.monash.edu.au)  | All reasonable offers accepted
-----------------------------------------+---------------------------------

paesse@PacBell.COM (Patricia Esse) (06/14/91)

In article todd@pinhead.pegasus.com (Todd Ogasawara) writes:

>I have run into one problem though. PC Tools 6.0 PCFORMAT does not work
>under DOS 5.0. It reports "Wrong DOS version" when I try to run it. Does
>anyone know if PCFORMAT in PC Tools 7.0 works under DOS 5.0? I am still
>waiting for my upgrade to arrive. Other PC Tools 6.0 software seems to work
>ok though (including COMPRESS).

In DOS 5.0, MIRROR.COM, FORMAT.EXE, and UNDELETE.EXE are licensed
from PCTOOLS and should probably supercede the PCTOOLS 6.0 ones and use
the DOS ones instead.  (Me too would like to know about PCTOOLS 7.0).

The same goes for RAMDRIVE.SYS, SMARTDRV.SYS, and HIMEM.SYS which supercede
the equivalent ones in Windows 3.0.

todd@pinhead.pegasus.com (Todd Ogasawara) (06/15/91)

In article <1991Jun14.002829.13057@bronze.ucs.indiana.edu> rschmidt@copper.ucs.indiana.edu (roy schmidt) writes:
>todd@pinhead.pegasus.com (Todd Ogasawara) writes:
>>I have run into one problem though. PC Tools 6.0 PCFORMAT does not work
>>under DOS 5.0. It reports "Wrong DOS version" when I try to run it. Does

>So if you want to use PC-FORMAT version 7.0, just use the format.com
>that came with your DOS 5.0 -- it's the same!

Good point... I actually am using the FORMAT that came with DOS. My comment
about PC Tools 6.0's FORMAT not working was made because it was the first
application (commerical, shareware, or public domain) that didn't work "as
is" under DOS 5.0. Others rightly pointed out that I forgot to try SETVER
to see if it works under those conditions. In any case, I'm sure my PC
Tools 7.0 is on its way and everything will be "as usual" soon.

>Now I wonder if they managed to make PC-Cache work with Win3.0?

That would be nice... I noticed that PC-Cache 6.0 and Windows 3.0 really
messed up my hard disk (I lost megabytes of stuff). I ended up going back
to SMARTDRV.SYS for disk caching.

>And just what is a DOS 5.0 look and feel?  Maybe we should ask Lotus for
>an interpretation. :-)

My guess is "DOS 5.0 look and feel" refers to the new DOSSHELL provided
with 5.0. If you didn't look at it because of memories of that awful
so-called shell provided with 4.0, you should take a few minutes to look at
this new one. Although I would guess that most of will never use it, it
looks like something that neophyte users might find helpful. It has a much
cleaner design than the DOSSHELL that came with 4.0. I still prefer using
DESQview-386 or Windows 3.0 though.
--
Todd Ogasawara ::: Hawaii Medical Service Association
Internet       ::: todd@pinhead.pegasus.com
Telephone      ::: (808) 536-9162 ext. 7

ames@reed.UUCP (S.Taimi Ames) (06/18/91)

I think CPS is going for the _Windows_ look and feel--since they have
several Windows apps--as well as the DOS 5. feel.  At any rate, PC-Cache
works great with Windows now.  However, I noticed that Smartdrive is a lot
faster now--almost as fast as PC-Cache.  Does anyone know if the reliability
has been improved as well?

taimi
ames@reed.edu

ericb@hplsla.HP.COM (Eric Backus) (06/21/91)

>At any rate, PC-Cache works great with Windows now.  However, I noticed
>that Smartdrive is a lot faster now--almost as fast as PC-Cache.  Does
>anyone know if the reliability has been improved as well?

And the big question - how do PC-Cache and Smartdrive compare to Hyperdisk
and Super-PC-Kwik?  Does anyone have any data on this?

--
				Eric Backus
				ericb%hplsla@hplabs.hp.com