[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] Help with External Cache

gottloeb@eel.dsd.trw.com (06/22/91)

I recently bought an 80486 clone that uses the ETEQ chip set and AMI BIOS.
I discovered upon testing it that, according to the BIOS setup, both the
internal and external cache were disabled (among other things).  However,
when I enable the external cache the machine hangs at the end of the boot
sequence.  I checked the motherboard and found that the jumpers and SRAM chips
for the cache were the correct settings and type.  AMI was not able to
provide me with any documentation regarding what this BIOS setting really
does citing that they only provide a "mailbox" for the hardware.

When the retailer tried enabling it on another one of their machines, it hung
also.  After discussing it amongst themselves, the retailing told me that
the external cache refered to a separate bus-card cache and not that on  the
motherboard.  The system appears to be running as if the on-board cache is
functioning based on PC Magazine's benchmarks (v5.5).

Is the retailer's explaination plausible?

Does anybody have the phone number or address of the manufacturer of this
ETEQ chip set?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Jeff Gottloeb
gottloeb@r3nosve.dsd.trw.com

ching@brahms.amd.com (Mike Ching) (06/25/91)

In article <1991Jun21.185123.9953@gumby.dsd.TRW.COM> gottloeb@eel.dsd.trw.com () writes:

>Does anybody have the phone number or address of the manufacturer of this
>ETEQ chip set?

ETEQ Microsystems
1900 McCarthy Blvd., #110
Milpitas, CA 95035