[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] Mouse, modem & scanner problem

rbr@bonnie.ATT.COM (228-4197,ATTT) (06/25/91)

I have a TANDY 1000SL 640K, 42 Meg HD, Kraft trackball (comm1),
a Vantel 1/2 card modem (comm2) and a MARS M-105 scanner. At this
point I have yet to see any scanned input.  I think the problem
may be a conflict getween the modem (Comm2 0x2E8) and the scanner
(com4 0x2EC - so the skimpy docs say).

I intend to experiment and remove the modem temporarily.  If the
scanner starts working, I will want to move the modem to serial
port Comm1.

Can a mouse/trackball and a modem share comm1 or maybe comm1 & comm3 ?
I can map the modem using switches to comm3 and my comm software can
use any port or address (software configurable).

Bob Rager

david@kessner.denver.co.us (David Kessner) (06/25/91)

In article <1991Jun24.174558.21822@cbnewsl.att.com> rbr@bonnie.ATT.COM writes:
>I have a TANDY 1000SL 640K, 42 Meg HD, Kraft trackball (comm1),
>a Vantel 1/2 card modem (comm2) and a MARS M-105 scanner. At this
>point I have yet to see any scanned input.  I think the problem
>may be a conflict getween the modem (Comm2 0x2E8) and the scanner
>(com4 0x2EC - so the skimpy docs say).
>
>Can a mouse/trackball and a modem share comm1 or maybe comm1 & comm3 ?
>I can map the modem using switches to comm3 and my comm software can
>use any port or address (software configurable).
>
>Bob Rager

You have it set up correctly.  Well, at least technically correct.

You cannot use COM2 and COM4 at the same time (as well as COM1 and COM3).
This limitation should not be a problem, however, since I doubt that you are
modeming around while scanning.  You will not want to use COM3 for anything
since it would conflict with your mouse (trackball).  With that in mind, here
are a few things to try:

	Swap the modem and scanner.  Some software does not support COM3 and 4
	for some stupid reason.

	Take out the modem.  It may improperly handle intterupts.  This is
	more common with older internal modems.

	Take out the mouse (trackball).  Some mice drivers 'latch' onto
	several intterupt lines rather than just the one being used.  (I know
	that 'Trumouse' does this, Logitech does not, others I don't know.)

	If none of these work, keep the original setup (COM1-mouse, COM2-modem,
	COM4-scanner) and reread the manual.  No I am not trying to be a ***.
	Seriously, look for errors in the manual, things you missed the first
	time, or whatever.  Or even the tech support phone number...

--
David Kessner - david@kessner.denver.co.us            |
1135 Fairfax, Denver CO  80220  (303) 377-1801 (p.m.) | Reunite PANGEA!