[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] Misc. Questions

hochhe@au-bon-pain.lcs.mit.edu (Harry Hochheiser) (06/13/91)

I'm not sure if this is the right group (please let me know if not),
but my questions do regard random pc topics.  Some of them may fall
under the category of frequently asked: my apologies if I'm beating
any dead horses.  I'm just recently venturing into the world of pc's,
so please be patient.

Having disclaimed myself, a few questions:

1) I have inherited a '286 with 3MB of EXTENDED memory.  I've read
somewhere that emulation software can get this to look and feel like
expanded memory.  Is this a viable option (i.e., will it be
interminably slow?)?  What's a good piece of software to use to do
this? is anything available from ftp?

2)I also need to purchase a replacement 5.25in. floppy.  Are
replacement drives standardized to the point of being plug and go, or
do i have to worry about compatibility issues?  are there any brands
that are particularly worth buying/avoiding?

3) I need to purchase an up-to-date C compiler.  What's  preferable:
Microsoft or Borland?  Also, I need an assembler: what's my best
option?

4) Another software reccommenation: I'm looking for software to
catalog journal articles.  Is there anything that might be
particularly useful for this?

any help with these questions would be most appreciated. please
respond by email, and I'll summarize if there is a desire.  If i'm in
the wrong group, my apologies, and please let me know  where these
questions belong.

Thanks in advance,

Harry Hochheiser
hochhe@abp.lcs.mit.edu

phil@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (Phil Howard KA9WGN) (06/13/91)

hochhe@au-bon-pain.lcs.mit.edu (Harry Hochheiser) writes:

>3) I need to purchase an up-to-date C compiler.  What's  preferable:
>Microsoft or Borland?  Also, I need an assembler: what's my best
>option?

Get the assembler from the same place as the C compiler.  When I bought
the Turbo C 2.0 Professional Package a couple years ago, it included
the Turbo assembler with it, along with an editor I never used.

>4) Another software reccommenation: I'm looking for software to
>catalog journal articles.  Is there anything that might be
>particularly useful for this?

Just guessing that most database packages should be able to do the job.
--
 /***************************************************************************\
/ Phil Howard -- KA9WGN -- phil@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu   |  Guns don't aim guns at  \

rhyde@hubbell.ucr.edu (randy hyde) (06/13/91)

MSC 6.0 generates the best code of any PC compiler I've seen, by far.
However, it is a very complex beast and has its share of bugs.
It is also very *slow*  (optimizing compilers always are).

Borland C++ (don't even consider the other stuff) is C++ v2.0 which is
really neat.  It's also much faster than MSC.  But the output code is
terrible.

OTOH, if you make a lot of library calls, MSC's libraries are written mostly
in C vs. Borland's libraries which have a good number of the routines written
in assembly.  These tends to even out the performance, if you call library
routines all over the place.

WATCOM C 8.0 is supposed to be really good too, but I haven't had the chance
to test it.

As for the assembler, get MASM 6.0.  It's great.  Works fine with Borland
products.  It has a lot of new features that are really great.  It's going to
be a while before SLR or Borland catch up with MASM 6.0.

archie@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu (Archie) (06/25/91)

Hello netters!

	I have a number of misc. questions on which I would like advice.
Please respond my emial and I will summarize.

1)	I am about to purchase a hard disk utilities program.  I have
narrowed my choices to either Norton Utilities and PC Tools.  I am considering
Norton because I have heard that the program is very good and comprehensive.
My question is how does PC Tools compare in this area.  I like PC Tools because
of the extras(i.e., backup, dos shell, etc.) that are included.  Which would
y'all suggest?

2)	There has been a lot of talk about the virtues and vices of leaving your
computer on all the time.  I do not want to start it up agian, but I do have
one question: what is the cost difference between leaving the computer on all
the time vs. turing it on only when in use?

3)	I will be getting a fax modem board soon. I am wondering if, when I get
a communications program, should I get a window-specific one to run in the
background or will something like Procomm suffice?

4)	I am also in the market for a dot-matrix printer.  My leading choice
at this time is the Citizen GX-140. If someone out there uses it, does it allow
you to do envelopes and labels easily? Are there any others that people would
suggest ( Note: I haven't entirely ruled out a laser or an ink-jet; however, I
would like to get only one printer and I thought that a dot-matrix would be
most practical)?

5)	while I am on the subject of printing, I own WordPerfect and I got
an offer to buy Publisher's PowerPak )I think that this is the correct name).
Has anyone used this product. How does it compare to products such as ATM and
SuperPrint?

6)	On memory for windows ( or should this be post in the windows group,
oh well), is there any dramatic difference in running windows on a 386/33 with
4 vs. 8 MB or RAM?

Thanks in advance to all who relpy!

Archie

I NEVER voted for Bush; I just didn't vote enough times for Dukaikus (sic).