[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] QEMM ?

kc2x+@andrew.cmu.edu (Kwan-Ju Chen) (06/24/91)

What command line should I put in the config.sys or autoexec.bat if I
want to load command.com and DOS in to high memory?  I have 591K running
DOS 4.01.  I would like to break 600K!!! Please help me! The OPTIMIZE
doesn't seem to do to that....

chaz@chinet.chi.il.us (Charlie Kestner) (06/25/91)

In article <ocNTyTy00VpJQOYkFz@andrew.cmu.edu> kc2x+@andrew.cmu.edu (Kwan-Ju Chen) writes:
>What command line should I put in the config.sys or autoexec.bat if I
>want to load command.com and DOS in to high memory?  I have 591K running
>DOS 4.01.  I would like to break 600K!!! Please help me! The OPTIMIZE
>doesn't seem to do to that....

  1. Stop using COMMAND.COM, and install 4DOS on your system.  That'll
     cut down on some of the memory usage of the command interpreter.
  2. Upgrade to either DR-DOS or MS-DOS 5.0 - either product allows
     you to load the DOS kernal into high RAM.  4.01 doesn't.

  BTW, we DO have a newsgroup for DESQVIEW/QEMM - comp.os.msdos.desqview
  Try it.

jankowski@iccgcc.decnet.ab.com (06/25/91)

In article <ocNTyTy00VpJQOYkFz@andrew.cmu.edu>, kc2x+@andrew.cmu.edu (Kwan-Ju Chen) writes:
> What command line should I put in the config.sys or autoexec.bat if I
> want to load command.com and DOS in to high memory?  I have 591K running
> DOS 4.01.  I would like to break 600K!!! Please help me! The OPTIMIZE
> doesn't seem to do to that....

Seems to me you are stuck since Dos 4.01 cannot be loaded high !  If you
want to due this Dos 5.0 is what you want using the DOS=HIGH setting in
your config.sys file. If you use DesQview then Dos 5.0 won't be of any use
either since the DOS=HIGH setting prevents DV from loading most of itself
HIGH. This causes an actual loss of approx. 10k of ram. If you don't use
DesQview then 5.0 is for you. See the comp.os.msdos.desqview forum for more
details

Jim ("Jimmy the Lock") Jankowski

It's amazing how the definition of "playing" changes with ones age...