[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] VGA Card Problem ???

sheaf@groucho.phyast.pitt.edu (Sheaf) (06/25/91)

     I have a 286-12 system with standard VGA card and monitor.  Every
so often, maybe once per session, when switching between text and
graphics screens, my screen will go blank and lock up, where I have
to reboot.  Sometimes, instead of a blank screen, i'll get the VGA
BIOS boot message before it locks up.

     Is this a problem with my VGA card or my system board ? (I've used
several different monitors and experienced the same problem)  Could the
fact that I'm using an 8-bit VGA card in a 16-bit machine be the culprit ?

     If you have any ideas, let me know.  Thanks.

                          sheaf@groucho.phyast.pitt.edu  (Steve Sheaffer)

mig@cunixa.cc.columbia.edu (Meir) (06/26/91)

In article <143944@unix.cis.pitt.edu> sheaf@groucho.phyast.pitt.edu (Sheaf) writes:

>     I have a 286-12 system with standard VGA card and monitor.  Every
>so often, maybe once per session, when switching between text and
>graphics screens, my screen will go blank and lock up, where I have
>to reboot.  Sometimes, instead of a blank screen, i'll get the VGA
>BIOS boot message before it locks up.
>
>     Is this a problem with my VGA card or my system board ? (I've used
>several different monitors and experienced the same problem)  Could the
>fact that I'm using an 8-bit VGA card in a 16-bit machine be the culprit ?
>
>                          sheaf@groucho.phyast.pitt.edu  (Steve Sheaffer)

Try using the first 8 bit slot.  Try removing all other card from the system.
Try changing the VGA card's interrupt....

 * * * * * * ====================== (Internet) mig@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu
* * * * * *  ====================== meir@msb.com  mig@asteroids.cs.columbia.edu
 * * * * * * ====================== (Amateur Radio) N2JPG