[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] Is there a MS-DOS login program

gary@POPEYE.SFSU.EDU (Gary Fong) (06/21/91)

Excuse me if this is a FAQ.  I already read the FAQ posting on
comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc.  I'm new to this and any IBM and MS-DOS groups so bear
with me (or past it by).

Is there a login program for a HP Vectra RS/25C 386 machine running MS-DOS 4.0?
This machine will be placed in a public place but it's use won't.  I need to
somehow keep the riff-raff off the machine.  Incidentally, if the program
relies on the neccessisity that the machine must be configured to boot FIRST off
the hard drive, is there another program or something to do that?  The setup
program provided with our machine doesn't have that option.

Thanks.
--

Gary Fong
gary@popeye.sfsu.edu (Internet)

gordonh@milton.u.washington.edu (Gordon Hayes) (06/26/91)

gary@POPEYE.SFSU.EDU (Gary Fong) writes:

>Is there a login program for a HP Vectra RS/25C 386 machine running MS-DOS 4.0?
>This machine will be placed in a public place but it's use won't.  I need to
>somehow keep the riff-raff off the machine.  Incidentally, if the program
>relies on the neccessisity that the machine must be configured to boot FIRST off
>the hard drive, is there another program or something to do that?  The setup
>program provided with our machine doesn't have that option.

>Gary Fong
>gary@popeye.sfsu.edu (Internet)
>Exploring System Earth
>San Francisco State University

One possible suggestion is to use a password program like I do.  You cannot
get it to by pass via ctrl c or anyway like that.  You either enter the
password or you don't get online.  Many bbs's have these available,
though not all work as well.  They may require you to insert a line in your
config.sys.  If you're worried about someone booting off a floppy to
get into your hard disk, you can reroute the system key lock to shut off
the floppy instead of the keyboard.  A simply switch of a cable should
do it.  Then just keep it locked.  I don't think its a good idea to
eliminate the possibility of booting off a floppy completely.  That
would solve your problem anyway.
Are you saying that you must boot off a floppy with your machine?
Never heard of that before (for a recent machine).  Well, that about
drains my brain.  Hope this was some help.
--
Gordon Hayes, MCIS, University of Washington
gordonh@milton.u.washington.edu