[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] Looking for MS-DOS 5.0 Compatibility Tricks...

mox@vpnet.chi.il.us (William Moxley) (06/16/91)

I have several programs that will not work with the new version of MS-DOS.
I already tried the "setver" command but it doesn't help.  Are their any
other tricks that I might try to make these programs run?  Two programs that
I'm specifically having trouble with are Norton's Disk Cache and DoubleDos
V5.0 although their are several others...  Thanks in advance,

                                          William Moxley
                                          mox@vpnet.chi.il.us

janeri@Lise.Unit.NO (Jan Eri) (06/18/91)

In article <1991Jun16.043650.7990@vpnet.chi.il.us>, mox@vpnet.chi.il.us (William Moxley) writes:

|> I have several programs that will not work with the new version of MS-DOS.
|> I already tried the "setver" command but it doesn't help.  Are their any
|> other tricks that I might try to make these programs run?  Two programs that
|> I'm specifically having trouble with are Norton's Disk Cache and DoubleDos
|> V5.0 although their are several others...  Thanks in advance

Are you sure DOS 5.0 is the only reason ? Norton's Disk Cache works
perfect with DOS 5.0 here.

Did you remember to reboot after issuing the SETVER command?

Jan

--

     / l
    /  l  ^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v

pshuang@athena.mit.edu (Ping-Shun Huang) (06/18/91)

In article <1991Jun16.043650.7990@vpnet.chi.il.us> mox@vpnet.chi.il.us (William Moxley) writes:

 > I have several programs that will not work with the new version of
 > MS-DOS.  [....] specifically having trouble with are Norton's Disk Cache
 > and DoubleDos V5.0 although their are several others...

When Microsoft put in the setver command, they probably intended for it
to circumvent two situations:

(a) when programs are far more sensitive to DOS versions than they
really need to be, DOS external utilities like XCOPY will simply *NOT*
run under any other version of DOS, even though the version number
should not matter to XCOPY unless it is less than 2.x in which case
subdirectories don't exist {grin}.

(b) more importantly, programs which need certain DOS services or
functionality which are only available after a certain version of DOS;
subdirectories with 2.x, for example, but some others as well which are
not visible to the end user but only to programmers.  If programmers for
an application were sloppy and onl*ONLY* checked to see if the current
DOS version is 3.x or 4.x and if not, *AUTOMATICALLY* assumed that they
were running on 2.x or {heaven forbid} 1.x and quit, this would make a
lot of users of such an application unhappy.  Hence SETVER to make your
DOS look like some other version of DOS.

In your case, the programs which you cite are very low-level programs,
one being a disk cache and the other being a multitasker.  While I don't
know if they fall into category B or not, these are exactly the kind of
programs which really *DO* need to know what version of DOS they're
actually running under, because they often peek under the hood.
Microsoft did their best to make DOS 5.0 compatible with widely
available programs (including continuing to implement undocumented DOS
functions which were commonly used), but even so, in the case of DOS
5.0, peeking under the hood in a non-standard fashion might leave you
looking at nothing, since some of DOS now sits in high memory blocks and
HMA.  If you cannot get such low-level programs to run natively under
5.0, you can try blindly running them with SETVER, but I would recommend
a quick call to the manufacturer support line to check compatibility.

--
Singing off,
UNIX:/etc/ping instantiated (Ping Huang)

hartnegg@sun1.ruf.uni-freiburg.de (Klaus Hartnegg) (06/20/91)

janeri@Lise.Unit.NO (Jan Eri) writes:

>Did you remember to reboot after issuing the SETVER command?

If this is really necessary (what I doubt) what shall I do if I have
one program that needs version 5 and another one that refuses
to work unless it is running on a specific dos version.

Do I have to boot every time I want to switch between these
two programs? Great!
Klaus Hartnegg, Kleist-Str. 7, D-7835 Teningen, Germany | include standard
Bitnet : hartnegg@dfrruf1 or hartnegg@cernvm            | disclaimer here!
Internet : hartnegg@ibm.ruf.uni-freiburg.de             |

jcmorris@mwunix.mitre.org (Joe Morris) (06/21/91)

hartnegg@sun1.ruf.uni-freiburg.de (Klaus Hartnegg) writes:

>janeri@Lise.Unit.NO (Jan Eri) writes:

>>Did you remember to reboot after issuing the SETVER command?

>If this is really necessary (what I doubt) what shall I do if I have
>one program that needs version 5 and another one that refuses
>to work unless it is running on a specific dos version.

>Do I have to boot every time I want to switch between these
>two programs? Great!

SETVER works on a program name basis: the fake version number it returns
is a function of the name of the program which issued the return-version-
number interrupt.  Thus, you can have MSCDEX.EXE think it's running on
DOS 4.00 while VDISK.SYS believe that we're still running DOS 3.3.

Joe Morris

act@softserver.canberra.edu.au (Andrew Turner) (06/21/91)

In article <1991Jun20.121241.1190@sun1.ruf.uni-freiburg.de> hartnegg@sun1.ruf.uni-freiburg.de (Klaus Hartnegg) writes:

>If this is really necessary (what I doubt) what shall I do if I have
>one program that needs version 5 and another one that refuses
>to work unless it is running on a specific dos version.
>
>Do I have to boot every time I want to switch between these
>two programs? Great!
>--
NO! NO! NO!. Read your MSDOS 5 manual please. If you haven't got your upgrade
yet then here's how setver works.
1. In CONFIG.SYS you say device=[drive:][path]setver.exe. This will need just
one reboot! Setver is now installed and keeps a 'lie table'(NB not one for
sleeping/doing-others-things on) which will permit up to about 30 entries.
2. Having rebooted type setver and you will get a listing of the lie table
which may well already have some entries after an upgrade install - the install
may well have put setver into config.sys.
3. Now if you have a program that needs to think its running under an earlier
version of DOS then say 'setver [drive:path]filename n.nn' where n.nn is the
DOS version that is the lie. This updates setver's table which is kept across
boots until you say 'setver [drive:path]filename [/delete[/quiet]]'.
4. NB****** For the updated table to take effect you need to reboot BUT the
info entered is NOT lost - and of course you can have more than one program in
the lie table!!!!!!!!!!

2.
--
 Andrew Turner  act@csc.canberra.edu.au
	Die, v:	To stop sinning suddenly.

plim@hpsgwp.sgp.hp.com (Peter Lim) (06/26/91)

/ hartnegg@sun1.ruf.uni-freiburg.de (Klaus Hartnegg) /  8:12 pm  Jun 20, 1991 /
writes:

> >Did you remember to reboot after issuing the SETVER command?
>
> If this is really necessary (what I doubt) what shall I do if I have
> one program that needs version 5 and another one that refuses
> to work unless it is running on a specific dos version.
>
> Do I have to boot every time I want to switch between these
> two programs? Great!
> --

Nope ! SETVER is program specific. I think the syntax is:

SETVER <setver program directory path> <Your program name> <ver number>

So, SETVER only report an altered version number to the program you
specified. Not to every program.

Peter Lim.   V````\  @ @ . .. ... .- -> 76 MIPS at under US$20K !!   --- -- - -
             >--_//      . .. ... .- -> 57 MIPS at under US$12K !!
                `'       . If you guess SUN, IBM or DEC, you guess wrong !

E-mail:  plim@hpsgwg.HP.COM     Snail-mail:  Hewlett Packard Singapore,
Tel:     (065)-279-2289                      (ICDS, ICS)
Telnet:        520-2289                      1150 Depot Road,
                                             Singapore   0410.