[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] Connect Novell with SUN

jrd@cc.usu.edu (Joe R. Doupnik) (06/19/91)

In article <sctchen.677293736@griffin>, sctchen@griffin.itc.gu.edu.au (Jungle Chain) writes:

> In my department, we have a Novell-286 system with the NE-1000 cards,
> and also have 3 SUN sparc stations which have been connected each other.
>
> My problem is how I can connect the Novell-286 system with those suns
> by using NE-1000 card only. Need I get extra software? Many thanks
> for your help.

> J.CHEN
> School of Microelectronic Eng.   Telephone: +61-7-8755050
> Griffith University              E-Mail: sctchen@griffin.itc.gu.edu.au
> Nathan, QLD 4111
> Australia
	It won't work. The SUNs do not speak NetWare IPX packets and NW/286
understands nothing of IP packets. In addition the SUNs will beat the poor
NE1000 board to a pulp in a clock tic. Suggestion is to upgrade the NW
server to NW 3.11 with NFS support and stick in a faster Ethernet board.
	Joe D.

sctchen@griffin.itc.gu.edu.au (Jungle Chain) (06/19/91)

jal@acc.flint.umich.edu (John Lauro) (06/26/91)

In article <1991Jun18.220657.48149@cc.usu.edu> jrd@cc.usu.edu (Joe R. Doupnik) writes:
>In article <sctchen.677293736@griffin>, sctchen@griffin.itc.gu.edu.au (Jungle Chain) writes:
>>
>> In my department, we have a Novell-286 system with the NE-1000 cards,
>> and also have 3 SUN sparc stations which have been connected each other.
>>
>> My problem is how I can connect the Novell-286 system with those suns
>> by using NE-1000 card only. Need I get extra software? Many thanks
>> for your help.
>>
>	It won't work. The SUNs do not speak NetWare IPX packets and NW/286
>understands nothing of IP packets. In addition the SUNs will beat the poor
>NE1000 board to a pulp in a clock tic. Suggestion is to upgrade the NW
>server to NW 3.11 with NFS support and stick in a faster Ethernet board.
>	Joe D.

The NE-1000 cards are not that bad from what I remember.  And even if they
were as bad as say a 3-COMS first ethernet cards (which they are not) you
could set the packet size to 1024, and the window size to 1024 and keep the
sun from blasting the PC.  TCP/IP is an extremely tollerant protocol, all
you have to do is know how to tune it...

It will work!  All you need is to use packet drivers, BYU IPX driver that
works with packet drivers, and NCSA or CUTCP or KA9Q NET or KA9Q NOS.  There
is also commercial software available from FTP Software, and Novell,
and others.  If you get Novell's lan workplace for dos that will include
ODI drivers which are like packet drivers, but not compatable with much
else (yet).  However, there is a packetdriver that will sit ontop of an
ODI driver so you could still use CUTCP, NOS, etc...

I suggest checking into the Novell mailing list for more details.  Also
the Comp.protocols.tcp-ip.ibmpc is another soure of good information.

I am assuming all you want to do is telnet and ftp to the suns.  There
are ways of doing more, but you need to be more specific in what you want
to do.  Also, the NFS support for NW 386 will only allow the *SUN* to
access the server's hard drive.

    - John