[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] FULL VT100 emulation software -- Where?

meyer@deadzone.uucp (Doron Meyer) (06/20/91)

Hi.  I am looking for a package that fully supports VT100 emulation.  All of thecommunications software I have seen for the PC doesn't fully support it, which  becomes readily apparant when I use program that depend on a full VT100
emulation, like most editors.

I would prefer something shareware or PD that I could ftp, but if there is
nothing available as shareware or PD, I'd appreciate reccommendations of
commercial software.

Thank you.
Doron Meyer

david@kessner.denver.co.us (David Kessner) (06/21/91)

In article <1991Jun20.113757.20666@deadzone.uucp> meyer@deadzone.uucp (Doron Meyer) writes:
>Hi.  I am looking for a package that fully supports VT100 emulation.  All of thecommunications software I have seen for the PC doesn't fully support it, which  becomes readily apparant when I use program that depend on a full VT100
>emulation, like most editors.

I use TELIX v3.15 and have no problems with VT100 emulation.  I use it on
a UNIX SysV system running VI, EMACS, ELM, etc with the standard terminfo
entry for VT100.  Works great and TELIX is Shareware with great ZMODEM...

--
David Kessner - david@kessner.denver.co.us            |
1135 Fairfax, Denver CO  80220  (303) 377-1801 (p.m.) | Reunite PANGEA!

dtaylor@magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu (Douglas A Taylor) (06/21/91)

In article <1991Jun20.113757.20666@deadzone.uucp> meyer@deadzone.uucp (Doron Meyer) writes:
%Hi.  I am looking for a package that fully supports VT100 emulation.  All of
%the communications software I have seen for the PC doesn't fully support it,
%which  becomes readily apparant when I use program that depend on a full VT100
%emulation, like most editors.

I use vtKermit, which is a version of Kermit that someone tuned especially for
VT100 emulation.  It doesn't do any other type of terminal, but it's supposed
to do VT100 *very* well.  I've used it with GNU Emacs and vi with no problem.
It has a script language (not really compatible with "the" Kermit script
language, but it works OK for me), the Kermit DL protocol (of course!), and
it also supports Xmodem.  You can also use external protocols, like
Omen Technologies DSZ program, without much trouble.  I use DSZ regularly.

Like all Kermits, it's free (not PD, but free).  My copy is kind of old, and
I haven't seen any new versions lately, so I don't know whether anyone is
supporting it.  The docs for it were written by someone from Columbia U., so
it's kind of semi-official, sorta.  If you're interested, I could e-mail it to
you.

%Thank you.

You're welcome

%Doron Meyer

--
   Doug Taylor                         |   Nothing real can be threatened.
   The Ohio State University           |   Nothing unreal exists.

oneel@heawk1.gsfc.nasa.gov ( Bruce Oneel ) (06/21/91)

In article <1991Jun20.113757.20666@deadzone.uucp> meyer@deadzone.uucp (Doron Meyer) writes:

   Hi.  I am looking for a package that fully supports VT100 emulation.  All of thecommunications software I have seen for the PC doesn't fully support it, which  becomes readily apparant when I use program that depend on a full VT100
   emulation, like most editors.

   I would prefer something shareware or PD that I could ftp, but if there is
   nothing available as shareware or PD, I'd appreciate reccommendations of
   commercial software.

   Thank you.
   Doron Meyer

Try mskermit from watsun.cc.columbia.edu.  Try the directory
/kermit/a and look at files of the form ms*.*.  Msaa*.doc should be a
good starting place.  mskermit does full vt100,vt220, and most of
vt320 (maybe all, I don't remember) and tek 4010.  I've never had a
problem to VMS, the one which seems to want it closest.

bruce.
--
Bruce O'Neel              oneel@heasfs.gsfc.nasa.gov
NASA/GSFC/STX/Code 664

rlp@druwa.ATT.COM (PrehnRL) (06/21/91)

In article <1991Jun20.230118.3665@kessner.denver.co.us>, david@kessner.denver.co.us (David Kessner) writes:
> In article <1991Jun20.113757.20666@deadzone.uucp> meyer@deadzone.uucp (Doron Meyer) writes:
> >Hi.  I am looking for a package that fully supports VT100 emulation.  All of thecommunications software I have seen for the PC doesn't fully support it, which  becomes readily apparant when I use program that depend on a full VT100
> >emulation, like most editors.
>
> I use TELIX v3.15 and have no problems with VT100 emulation.  I use it on
> a UNIX SysV system running VI, EMACS, ELM, etc with the standard terminfo
> entry for VT100.  Works great and TELIX is Shareware with great ZMODEM...
>
> --
> David Kessner - david@kessner.denver.co.us            |
> 1135 Fairfax, Denver CO  80220  (303) 377-1801 (p.m.) | Reunite PANGEA!
> Compuserve?  Isn't that some sort of FIDO BBS?        |

Vi and emacs usability does not mean FULL VT100 emulation.

I Haven't tried TELIX 3.15, 3.12 I have tried.  I have also tried QMODEM
GT Powercomm, BOYAN5.0, Procomm, Procomm+TD, Telemate 2.11.  None of which
work with 80 column curses based forms programs that run well on VT100's.
Good thing they are shareware, I'd hate to waste that kind of money on
something that doesn't fit my needs.   I write forms based applications so I
am a little touchy about VT100 emulation claims.  Boyan impresses me enough to
make me think about keeping it and registering it for personal use.

For many UNIX applications, an acceptable alternative would be for the
emulator writers to provide termcap and terminfo files for use with their
flavor of emulation.  (But that might put a hole in their bubble.)
We have a terminfo that will work with most of these emulators, but does not
take advantage of MANY of the standard escape sequences.

The only SOLID, PC based terminal emulation I've seen is a hp2621 emulation
we have for AT&T employees only.  PCWORKS (touchstone software) performs well
on forms because they supplied terminfo/termcap.

t5425 is another impressive emulation is one that runs on AT&T 630/730
graphics terminals that emulates an AT&T 5425/4425 terminal.
(the 5425 emulates a VT102 + screen labeled function keys + extras).
t5425 even handles 132 column mode, screen labels and alternate character sets.
(Available via exptools). But I digress.

"They that can give up an essential liberty to obtain a little temporary
safety deserve neither liberty nor safety".
					      - Benjamin Franklin (1759)

 Robert Prehn      +-----------------------------------------------------------+
 AT&T Bell Labs    |     ____   _______   _____   _______                      |
 Room  1F50        |    / __ \ |__   __| /   _ \ |__   __|                     |
 11900 North Pecos |   | <__> |   | |    \  \ \_\   | |                        |
 Denver, Co  80234 |   |  __  |   | |    /   \ __   | |    THE           CHOICE|
        	   |   | |  | |   | |   |  (\ / /   | |                        |
 druwa!rlp         |   |_|  |_|   |_|    \_____/    |_|                        |
 (303) 538-4554    |                                                           |

w8sdz@rigel.acs.oakland.edu (Keith Petersen) (06/22/91)

The latest version of MS-Kermit is 3.10.  It now has emulation
for Heath-19, Honeywell VIP7809, VT52, VT100, VT102, VT320, and
Tek4010.

It's available via anonymous FTP from SIMTEL20.  Here is a directory
listing which shows other support and enhancement files.

NOTE: This list was created on Sat, 15 Jun 91 01:43:55 MDT.
Some files may have been added or deleted since that date.
See file PD1:<MSDOS.FILEDOCS>AAAREAD.ME for additional information.

NOTE: Type B is Binary; Type A is ASCII

Directory PD1:<MSDOS.KERMIT>
 Filename   Type Length   Date   Description
AAAREAD.ME    A    1189  890614  Information about the files in this directory
DDNTAC.HLP    A    4224  890813  Setting TAC parameters for Kermit
EASYK110.ARC  B   69771  890316  Kermit made easy.  EasyKermit V1.10
EP437.ARC     B   14756  900125  PC Code-Page-437-to-Epson char set translation
EPSON.ARC     B   10093  900125  Epson printer driver for EGA graphics screens
KER_SCP3.ARC  B   22808  881113  Useful Kermit (v2.29 or above) script files
KER_SCP3.INF  A    1851  881113  Information about files in KER-SCP3.ARC
MSBOOASM.ARC  B   10681  890319  Make ASCII files from binary files and back
MSICYR.ZIP    B    5079  910521  Kermit term init: send/rec Cyrillic characters
MSIEM2.INI    A    4343  890731  Kermit script maps PC keyboard for GNU Emacs
MSIIBM.ARC    B   41043  890120  Kermit 2.32/A Script, tutorial, init files
MSIVT3.ZIP    B    5354  910521  MS-Kermit DEC keybd setups for IBM-compatibles
MSK-RCV.BAS   A    6627  910320  Easy bootstrap: Rcve-only Kermit pgm in BASIC
MSKER310.ZIP  B  216929  910320  MS-Kermit v3.10 comm pgm for IBM-compatibles
MSKERDOC.ARC  B  207148  890630  Kermit 2.32/A User's guide and other files
MSKR-EM2.ZIP  B   30433  910320  MS-Kermit v3.1 term emulation & graphics info
MSR31012.PCH  A    4419  910609  MS-Kermit v3.10 update & bug fix patches 1-12
MSULK2.ZIP    B   11684  910521  Driver allows use of DEC LK250 kbd w/MS-Kermit
MSVGEN.ARC    B   58327  890130  Kermit 2.32/A Generic version
MSVHP1.ARC    B   58108  890130  Kermit 2.32/A Hewlett Packard specific
MSVIBM.ARC    B   82463  891223  Kermit 2.32/A IBM-compatable specific
MSVRB1.ARC    B   62874  890130  Kermit 2.32/A Rainbow specific
NM100.ARC     B    6179  900418  Use Num Lock for VT100/300 PF1/GOLD in Kermit
PCBDKER.ARC   B    6242  890311  Collection of MS-Kermit scripts
PCPRINT.C     A    5322  890504  Print Unix host text files on PC (req. Kermit)
PCPRINT.NR    A    3068  890504  Unix man page for PCPRINT.C
SCANCH41.ARC  B   18223  900106  Keyboard scan code check/display for MS-Kermit
TSKERM24.ARC  B   68166  900220  Keypads, bats, & logging scripts for MS-Kermit
WINKER4.ARC   B   95438  890907  Kermit communications pgm v4.0 for MS-WINDOWS
XSEND051.ZIP  B   11210  910320  Makes Kermit script files to send entire disk
YOGIUTIL.ZIP  B   27954  910324  Chg blue color to underscore w/MS-Kermit v3.0x

Keith
--
Keith Petersen
Maintainer of the MSDOS, MISC and CP/M archives at SIMTEL20 [192.88.110.20]

ts@uwasa.fi (Timo Salmi) (06/22/91)

In article <9149@drutx.ATT.COM> rlp@druwa.ATT.COM (PrehnRL) writes:
>> In article <1991Jun20.113757.20666@deadzone.uucp> meyer@deadzone.uucp (Doron Meyer) writes:
>> >Hi.  I am looking for a package that fully supports VT100 emulation.  All of thecommunications software I have seen for the PC doesn't fully support it, which  becomes readily apparant when I use program that depend on a full VT100
>> >emulation, like most editors.
:>>

>I Haven't tried TELIX 3.15, 3.12 I have tried.  I have also tried QMODEM
>GT Powercomm, BOYAN5.0, Procomm, Procomm+TD, Telemate 2.11.  None of which
>work with 80 column curses based forms programs that run well on VT100's.
:

Er, have you tried MsKermit.  The one property in which it beats
these fuller comm progs is the flexibility and configuratibility of
terminal emulation.  I have used all of them except Qmodem, and I
can attenst to this based on experience.

MsKermit is available from our site from the /pc/termprog directory.
You also might find some information of interest to you about
MsKermit and VT100 emulation in /pc/ts/tskerm24.arc.

BTW Telix 3.15 is just a minor bug fix, so no real difference from
3.12.

Prof. Timo Salmi
Moderating at garbo.uwasa.fi anonymous ftp archives 128.214.12.37

berger@iboga (Mike Berger) (06/24/91)

meyer@deadzone.uucp (Doron Meyer) writes:

>Hi.  I am looking for a package that fully supports VT100 emulation.  All of thecommunications software I have seen for the PC doesn't fully support it, which  becomes readily apparant when I use program that depend on a full VT100
>emulation, like most editors.

>I would prefer something shareware or PD that I could ftp, but if there is
>nothing available as shareware or PD, I'd appreciate reccommendations of
>commercial software.
*----
I've only seen one program that fully emulated VT-100 (except for double-wide
characters and 132 column display... that may have changed by now):  Realia's
Video Termulator.  It was $ 90 a few years ago.  The Realia program passed every
test I've seen (with the exceptions noted above).  None of the free/shareware
programs came close.

--
	Mike Berger
	Department of Statistics, University of Illinois

bill@camco.Celestial.COM (Bill Campbell) (06/24/91)

>meyer@deadzone.uucp (Doron Meyer) writes:

>Hi.  I am looking for a package that fully supports VT100 emulation.  All of thecommunications software I have seen for the PC doesn't fully support it, which  becomes readily apparant when I use program that depend on a full VT100
>emulation, like most editors.

Have you looked at PC-KERMIT?  It supports VT100, 102, and the
newer VT[23]0x emulations and you can change the key mappings to
anything your little heart desires.

Bill
--
INTERNET:  bill@Celestial.COM   Bill Campbell; Celestial Software
UUCP:   ...!thebes!camco!bill   6641 East Mercer Way

tony@jassys.UUCP (Tony Holden) (06/25/91)

I've used PCVT in the past.  Unlike most of the others that you
mentioned I have had no problem with it.  And it's shareware too.
Here's the last thing I heard about it.

From: markd@silogic.UUCP (Mark DiVecchio)

	PC-VT version 10.0	USER Supported Software

					9888 Carroll Center Road Suite 113
					San Diego, CA 92126

	PC-VT is a VT-100/102 and Tek 4010/4014 Emulator for the IBM PC
or PC Clones.  PC-VT runs on the PC, the PCXT, and the PCAT under DOS
2.x and 3.x.

	This version of PC-VT is the complete Professional version which
has been available for about 3 years.  I have taken all of the
enhancements (and bug fixes) of that version and moved them into the
User Supported version of PC-VT.  The Professional Version is no longer
sold commercially.

	Now more about the version 10.0 of PC-VT.  It includes an
enhanced version of the VT-100 emulator and a Tektronix 4010/4014
emulator.  It supports both 132 column mode and high resolution graphics
with the addition of the Everex Edge board and high resolution graphics
with the addition of the Hercules graphics board.  It supports the VMS
EVE editor as well as EDT, VI and Emacs with special Keypad key
bindings.  Windows are used for file transfer and the program can be
completely controlled by the host for automatic file transfer.  The
keyboard can be remapped to suit your taste, screen colors can be set
with Escape Sequences, and you can recall screen data which has scrolled
off the top of the screen.

	I have versions of XMODEM for the VAX running VMS ,for UNIX
System V and for UNIX 4.2BSD and a version of ZMODEM which runs under
Unix.  You can get those by sending me a formatted 360Kb diskette for
each one you need and a pre-paid pre-addressed diskette mailer.  Make
sure you tell me which ones you want.  The XMODEM and ZMODEM programs
are public domain.

	Some of the enhancements for version 10.0 of PC-VT are:

1. The dialer has been enlarged to 100 entries.
2. ZMODEM and YMODEM are now supported using the external DSZ program from
	Omen Technology, Inc.
3. PC-VT Supports COM3 and COM4 for serial communications
4. The printer escape sequences are handled more like a VT terminal.
5. PC-VT does a better job of emulating the escape sequences to the local
	printer.
6. PC-VT handles LPT1 through LPT4 and COM1 through COM4 for the
	printer port.
7. RTS/CTS flow control has been added.
8. Added a SETUP feature to disable PC-VT Private Sequences.
9. Full Tektronix 4010/4014 Emulation.

	You can always get the latest version of PC-VT from me.  Call my
phone number below to find out what the latest version number is.

	To get PC-VT, you can :

	1.  Call my ATHENA SYSTEMS DEVELOPMENT GROUP board at
619-549-3927 and download the file PC-VT100.ZIP.

	2.  Send me 2 formatted 360K floppies or 1 formatted 1.2M floppy
along with a self-addressed postage paid floppy mailer and I will return
them in the mail.

	3.  Send me $9 for postage and handling and I will send them in
the mail.

	I would appreciate any comments which you might have regarding
the program or its usefulness.  When you write, please indicate the
version number of PC-VT which you are using.

--
Mark DiVecchio, Silogic Systems, 619-549-9841 K3FWT
     9888 Carroll Center Road, Suite 113, San Diego, CA 92126

furnish@zig.inria.fr (Geoffrey Furnish) (06/26/91)

In article <1991Jun20.113757.20666@deadzone.uucp>, meyer@deadzone.uucp (Doron Meyer) writes:
> Hi.  I am looking for a package that fully supports VT100 emulation.  All of thecommunications software I have seen for the PC doesn't fully support it, which  becomes readily apparant when I use program that depend on a full VT100
> emulation, like most editors.
>
> I would prefer something shareware or PD that I could ftp, but if there is
> nothing available as shareware or PD, I'd appreciate reccommendations of
> commercial software.
>
> Thank you.
> Doron Meyer

I may have just what you want.  I presume you know about Kermit 3.x.
This package has excellent vt series support, with the annoying problem
that the PF1/GOLD key is not correctly emulated, since Num Lock stays
Num Lock.  This of course fouls up most editors which use the vt100
keypad, as you point out.

Well, on Simtel 20 in their Kermit area I have a program called nm100,
which fixes this exasperation by allowing you to use the Num Lock as the
PF1/GOLD key.

Please note this program is shareware.  If you like it, (and use it)
there is a small suggested contribution.

Cheers,

Geoff Furnish
furnish@solar.ph.utexas.edu

caf@omen.COM (Chuck Forsberg WA7KGX) (06/26/91)

-
-I Haven't tried TELIX 3.15, 3.12 I have tried.  I have also tried QMODEM
-GT Powercomm, BOYAN5.0, Procomm, Procomm+TD, Telemate 2.11.  None of which
-work with 80 column curses based forms programs that run well on VT100's.

Give ZCOMM a try.  It passes every screen test on "vttest" except for
double sized characters which require video capabilities not available
without going to high res graphics.  If your display supports 132
columns ZCOMM can use that too.

Chuck Forsberg WA7KGX          ...!tektronix!reed!omen!caf
Author of YMODEM, ZMODEM, Professional-YAM, ZCOMM, and DSZ
  Omen Technology Inc    "The High Reliability Software"
17505-V NW Sauvie IS RD   Portland OR 97231   503-621-3406
TeleGodzilla:621-3746 FAX:621-3735 CIS:70007,2304 Genie:CAF