[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] Patches for DOS 5.0 command.com

roper@nwnexus.WA.COM (Michael Roper) (06/12/91)

Does anyone have the DOS 5.0 version of the
command.com patch that allows you change the
directory that it uses when creating temporary
files (for a piped command, for example)?

Thanks.

Michael Roper

reisert@mast.enet.dec.com (Jim Reisert) (06/15/91)

In article <525@nwnexus.WA.COM>, roper@nwnexus.WA.COM (Michael Roper) writes...
>Does anyone have the DOS 5.0 version of the
>command.com patch that allows you change the
>directory that it uses when creating temporary
>files (for a piped command, for example)?

Patch?  What patch?  In your AUTOEXEC.BAT, just add the line:

	SET TEMP=disk:\directory

- Jim

"The opinions expressed here in no way represent the views of Digital
 Equipment Corporation."

James J. Reisert                Internet:  reisert@mast.enet.dec.com
Digital Equipment Corp.         UUCP:      ...decwrl!mast.enet!reisert
146 Main Street			Voice:     508-493-5747
Maynard, MA  01754		FAX:       508-493-0395

roper@nwnexus.WA.COM (Michael Roper) (06/17/91)

> Patch?  What patch?  In your AUTOEXEC.BAT, just add the line:
>
> 	SET TEMP=disk:\directory

The reason I thought this was broken (and in fact it is)
is that I have operated with a temp variable specification
of "D:" for several years and not a single app that used
the temp variable failed to handle the spec properly --
until DOS 5.0.  In any event, we are now copacetic.

Michael Roper

sccs@prls.UUCP (Source Code Control System) (06/19/91)

roper@nwnexus.WA.COM (Michael Roper) writes:
-
->> Patch?  What patch?  In your AUTOEXEC.BAT, just add the line:
->>
->> 	SET TEMP=disk:\directory
-
->The reason I thought this was broken (and in fact it is)
->is that I have operated with a temp variable specification
->of "D:" for several years and not a single app that used
->the temp variable failed to handle the spec properly --
->until DOS 5.0.  In any event, we are now copacetic.
-
      Geesh !   Don't expect it to work if you are doing it wrong !
      For Pete's sake, try it the right way and THEN complain if it
    doesn't work.  In the mean time, check your dictionary for the
    word DEFAULT it is somewhere before "if(error)" .

Gordon Vickers                  {mips | pyramid | philabs}!prls!gordon
Signetics in Sunnyvale,Ca (USA)     or  prls!gordon@mips.com
The Earth is a complex array of symbiotic relationships: Every extinction,
  whether animal, mineral, vegetable, or cultural hastens our own demise.

roper@nwnexus.WA.COM (Michael Roper) (06/27/91)

Gordon Vickers writes:

>       Geesh !   Don't expect it to work if you are doing it wrong !
>       For Pete's sake, try it the right way and THEN complain if it
>     doesn't work.  In the mean time, check your dictionary for the
>     word DEFAULT it is somewhere before "if(error)" .

What in the heck are you babbling about?

Michael Roper