[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] Need Help To Replace the BIOS

shawr@sybase.com (06/27/91)

Hi there,

Recently, I got the upgrade bios rom from the manuacturer and tried
to upgrade my bios so it will let me define the configure of my new
hard drive. However, after I put the new bios in, the system just acted
like there is no bios at all. I called the tech support and they told
me that I have to reset the CMOS first. I have tried to touch the cmos reset
spot on the motherboard, but no luck. So, my question is how to reset CMOS?
Disconnect the battery or ... ? And, what is the procedure to replace the
bios? (My original bios is two 128k Eproms and the new one is two 256k Eprom.
Also, I already adjusted the jumper for the eprom size)

Any help will be appreciated!

-- rich
-- shawr@sybase.com

schuster@panix.uucp (Michael Schuster) (06/27/91)

In article <13532@sybase.sybase.com> shawr@sybase.com () writes:
>Hi there,
>
>Recently, I got the upgrade bios rom from the manuacturer and tried
>to upgrade my bios so it will let me define the configure of my new
>hard drive. However, after I put the new bios in, the system just acted
>like there is no bios at all. I called the tech support and they told
>me that I have to reset the CMOS first. I have tried to touch the cmos reset
>spot on the motherboard, but no luck. So, my question is how to reset CMOS?
>Disconnect the battery or ... ? And, what is the procedure to replace the
>bios? (My original bios is two 128k Eproms and the new one is two 256k Eprom.
>Also, I already adjusted the jumper for the eprom size)

Your manufacturer is full of it. If the BIOS allows you to give a user-defined
hard drive entry then it must contain a built-in setup program. THAT is what
"changes the CMOS". If you've totally screwed things up to the point where
the machine won't boot, most AMI sets will restore a minimum working
configuration of you hold down the INS key during the pwoer up self test.

It sounds likke you either a)have the high and low bytes reversed
b)have a bad chip     c)have one of the roms socketed backwards

Check the notch on the socket or the silk screen outline printed on the
circuit board. Make sure it matches the notch as you've plugged the EPROMS
in. Then try swappinf one ROM for the other (that will reverse the hi/lo
byte pairs). If it doesn't work ... send 'em back.

--
                Mike Schuster                      |   -CIS: 70346,1745
-NY Public Access UNIX:  schuster@panix.com        |   -MCI Mail, GENIE: