[net.ham-radio] Eavesdropping revisited How's that again?

craig@pyuxv.UUCP (10/26/85)

***Speak up, my surveillance device can't hear you clearly***
The Friday, October 25, 1985 Communications Daily reports that the
US Office of Technology Assessment has issued a report holding that
cellular and cordless telephone calls and other forms of new
communication devices are not sufficiently protected under the 1968
wiretap law.  Congress has a measure under consideration that would
strengthen such privacy law requirements extending protection to
cellular and cordless telephones.  Markup is expected, for both the
House and Senate versions of the bill, by early next year.  There is a
possibility of enactment by the end of 1986.

With regard to wiretapping, USA Today says that 35 federal agencies
use, or have plans to use, new electronic surveillance equipment
that is not controlled by the 1968 law.  The article further reports
that domestic US agencies have 288 million files on 114 million people
and that computerized recording devices could improperly monitor
innocent citizens.

..!ihnp4!pyuxv!craig (RB Craig @ Bell Communications Research)
                                 Piscataway, NJ  08854-1300
If you don't like the world as it is
you may need to learn to like more things.
..!ihnp4!pyuxv!craig (RB Craig @ Bell Communications Research)
                                 Piscataway, NJ  08854-1300

Technology... wouldn't that cork your bobber?

karn@petrus.UUCP (Phil R. Karn) (10/27/85)

> Congress has a measure under consideration that would
> strengthen such privacy law requirements extending protection to
> cellular and cordless telephones.

I see this as a very unfortunate development. Once again, the lawyer types
think they can simply wish away a problem with an unenforceable law.  Has
anybody told them that cordless telephones can be intercepted with any cheap
AM radio? Or that under the proper circumstances cellular phone
conversations can be overheard with an ordinary UHF TV set?

Naturally, one major effect of such a law would be to hassle us hams. No
doubt there'd be an effort to ban the sale of general coverage receivers
(either of the traditional HF type or the new VHF/UHF types like the Yaesu
FRG-9600 or the Icom R-7000). Bad guys still intent on monitoring cellular
phone would still be able to build their own receive converters with little
trouble, and unless we repeal the 4th amendment and allow arbitrary
police-state searches of private residences for listening gear, the law
won't stop them.  Worse, the mere existence of the law will give the users
of cordless and cellular phones a false sense of privacy, and nothing is
more dangerous when dealing with communications security.

The cellular radio operators should be required to inform their customers
that their conversations can be overheard (as cordless phone users already
are). Customers should be made to understand that they are responsible for
their own communications security and encouraged to obtain voice scrambling
devices should they wish greater privacy.  I see no practical alternative.

Phil

die@hydra.UUCP (Dave Emery) (10/31/85)

In article <154@pyuxv.UUCP> craig@pyuxv.UUCP writes:
>  Congress has a measure under consideration that would
>strengthen such privacy law requirements extending protection to
>cellular and cordless telephones.  Markup is expected, for both the
>House and Senate versions of the bill, by early next year.  There is a
>possibility of enactment by the end of 1986.

	I have always wondered why the cellular radio standard didn't
include digital transmission under (optional?) encryption.  Digital
transmission would make cellular signals difficult to intercept with
scanners or even TV sets, and the hardware required - much like a descrambler
for a broadcast tv signal - would be specialized enough so random members
of the general public couldn't legally acquire it on the pretext of
using it for some legitmate purpose (unlike TVRO's and SSB receivers !!).
For a few dollars more the system could supply DES with reasonable
key security that would make the cellular link at least as private
as the rest of the telephone system.

	The current transmission method for cellular phones is FM, and
the channel spacing is such that there would be plenty of room for
a 16 or 32 khz QPSK (or even diphase) adaptive slope (ADPCM) or
CSVD transmission of high quality voice. As for performance, I have read some
claims that clever demodulators can do as well demodulating digital voice
signals near threshold as nbFM.

	It seems a shame that the designers of a system as sophisticated
as the cellular phone system chose not to consider the security issue
seriously.  I beleive that most of the design work was done in the
late 70's when DES chips and LSI PCM chips were at least beginning to
appear on the market, certainly any far sighted system architect could
have confidently predicted that the required digital hardware would
soon be available and eventually be quite cheap.   My guess is that low
cost in the short term and reduced technological risk dominated their
thinking.  Perhaps someone on the net can shed some light on why the
current fm based system was chosen.

	The real tragedy is that the proliferation of the current generation
of FM based hardware will make it very difficult to convert the whole system
over to digital.  Perhaps the present transmission sites can be equiped with
dual mode radios that would allow subscribers to use digital transmission
as an option and thus allow those who understand the risk and want to
protect their privacy to enjoy the conveniance and flexibility of roaming
cellular phones with a modicum of privacy too. I should think that there might
be quite a market for such a higher privacy (and price no doubt) service
as people begin to discover that 900 mhz scanners (and some tv sets as Bob
Parnass points out) can pick up their fm conversations clearly.

	Unfortunately, though the NSA has been very active in trying
to raise consciousness about security, the more political FCC has yet
to authorize secure digital transmission over the current 900 mhz cellular
phone frequencies.   One would think that the government would get
its act together and lead on the issue for once  by requiring
that all cellular systems be equiped with dual mode capability by some
future date.

	The cost of digital base station transcievers at cell sites and of the
required microprocessor systems for key management would be a reasonably
small addition to the cost of all the required hardware at cell sites.
I suspect that by charging more for a secure service the costs could be
recovered (I might add that the systems in the Boston area use microwave
links to tie the cells together and those ought to be secured too...). And
the digital hardware for mobiles could be implemented in a small number of
VLSI chips that ought not to add excessive cost, power consumption or weight
to these high tech transceivers.

          David I. Emery    Charles River Data Systems   617-626-1102
          983 Concord St., Framingham, MA 01701.
	  uucp: decvax!frog!die

newton2@ucbtopaz.BERKELEY.EDU (11/19/85)

It astonishes me how often the brash assertiveness of a posting
scales inversely with the knowledge and authority of the poster.
Comes now Larry Lippman, who says cellular speech encryption
could never work because a huge database of key pairs would have
to include every possible user/transaction. And don't try passing
keys before each transaction-- he's thought of that!

Has he heard of Diffie and Hellman? Shamir, Rivest and Adleman?
Oh.... Never mind....

Doug Maisel

> >  Congress has a measure under consideration that would
> >strengthen such privacy law requirements extending protection to
> >cellular and cordless telephones.  Markup is expected, for both the
> >House and Senate versions of the bill, by early next year.  There is a
> >possibility of enactment by the end of 1986.
> 	I have always wondered why the cellular radio standard didn't
> include digital transmission under (optional?) encryption.  Digital
> transmission would make cellular signals difficult to intercept with

	Digital speech encoding was not used in the cellular telephone concept
for reasons of practicability including, but not limited to:

1.	The cellular telephone design concept was considered to provide
	sufficient security to deter the casual listener using consumer-grade
	`scanners', antennas, etc.  No attempt was even considered to deter
	a `serious' listener who could spend many thousands of dollars for
	antenna towers, sophisticated receiving equipment, etc.

2.	The cellular telephone concept was intended to be LOW cost and be
	capable of independent multi-vendor support.  Therefore, hardware had
	to be as simple as possible without employing any one vendor's
	proprietary technology.  While Motorola pretty much developed the
	cellular concept, they never did it from the standpoint of monopolizing
	the cellular market - such a monopoly never getting cellular telephones
	off the ground.  While Motorola has also pioneered digital speech
	encryption using CVSD modulation in their DVP radio systems, this was
	mostly proprietary technology which Motorola was hardly going to share
	with the world.

3.	Had a digital encryption circuit been used as part of the cellular
	concept, there is NO practicable way for such a circuit to be kept out
	of the public's hands.  There are at present at least 10 active vendors
	who manufacture cellular telephone apparatus, and no doubt there will
	be more.  Any `potential' vendor would have to be given encryption
	circuit details and be sold any integrated circuits designed for this
	purpose.

4.	Had a digital encryption scheme been used so that each cellular
	telephone had individual encryption keys, EACH receiving and trans-
	mitting site would have had to have a full database containing a
	unique cellular telephone identifier number and an encryption key.
	This same database would have to exist for hundreds and even thousands
	of sites - and be UPDATED.  THIS is probably the single most important
	reason why encryption is not practicable at this time using the present
	cellular concept.  (It would rather defeat the purpose of encryption
	if, say, the encryption key were transmitted in the clear prior to
	start of voice transmission, in case anyone thinks this is would
	eliminate a database requirement.)

5.	Radio transmission is full-duplex, so that a monitor receiver would be
	able to hear only one side of the transmission. (Yes, I know one could
	use TWO monitor receivers, but how many people have that?)

6.	Mobile/portable transmit power is LOW, and the ~900 Mhz frequencies
	are extremely line-of-sight in their propagation, thereby limiting
	the receiving range of a casual eavesdropper to only a few miles under
	most circumstances.

7.	There are no identifier transmissions made between cellular telephones
	and base stations which would enable the casual listener - even if he
	could decode them - to learn the actual identity of the calling
	telephone.

8.	Cellular channel assignment for working communications is random.

===  Larry Lippman @ Recognition Research Corp., Clarence, New York        ===
===  UUCP    {decvax,dual,rocksanne,rocksvax,watmath}!sunybcs!kitty!larry  ===
===  VOICE   716/741-9185		 {rice,shell}!baylor!/             ===
===  FAX     716/741-9635 {AT&T 3510D}	             ihnp4!/               ===
===                   "Have you hugged your cat today?"		           ===